View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Gothic 2 General

Author Thread
FICKSER
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

How To Translat??

Hi Guys.

I was thinking of buying the german version of gothic2, because i dont think us Canadians are going to get it fooooor a loooong time,with all these Jowood problems.
Can any of you tell me how the English translation was done on the demo?
I opened the Ou.Bin file in the demo with word pad and it has a lot of symbols. On this thread it was mentioned that a machine translator was used to to give us the available english translation for the demo.
Can any body tell me how to do this ,what prog. do i need to open the files
and what translator i need...I know we have a translator at work....
Thanks in advance..
Post Fri Jan 10, 2003 11:01 pm
Maylander
High Emperor
High Emperor

Use Hex Editor, open, translate, replace files and wham bam, it should work.. if you want more details, don't ask me - wait for the real game in English.. it's even patched and fixed when it is released(90% of the people in here will have to wait exactly as long as you, so you're not alone.. ).
Post Sat Jan 11, 2003 12:33 am
HornOx
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

Re: How To Translat??

quote:
Originally posted by FICKSER

Can any of you tell me how the English translation was done on the demo?
With a few lines of Perl-Code
quote:
Originally posted by HornOx
quote:
Originally posted by Phalanx
I wonder if this same method can be approached using the German Gothic 2 full version.
sure, but...
quote:
Originally posted by Gorath
[...]Itīs possible that your translation will harm the Gothic II sales in the English speaking world! The info that the translation is fan-made might get lost somewhere. And then many people could base there buying decision upon a German demo with non-professional subtitles.
And: If anyone can download the german Gothic 2 full version via Edonkey and use a fan-made translation, he may not buy the english version

quote:
Originally posted by elkston
Don't get me wrong, I am grateful that xerxes has provided this auto translator, but some of the stuff is just hilarious.
The hilarious auto translation is my work. xerxes last post in this forum is a few weeks ago, i don't know if he will ever finish his translation
Post Sun Jan 12, 2003 5:50 pm
Kiwi Boy
High Emperor
High Emperor

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Xerxes712
Automatic translators really do not get the complex meaning of German sentence for the most part. I noticed in the data files there are files with thier English transcripts along with the in-game German text. Very odd.
But the are fast
Rename ou.bin, menu.dat and gothic.dat. Then unzip this file in your Gothic2 Folder and start Gothic2.
Hehehe...
So, HornOx is the one who made the auto translator...
Xerxes712 is the one who's making the real English translation... No more confusion!
quote:
xerxes last post in this forum is a few weeks ago, i don't know if he will ever finish his translation

I guess it's okay... we'll all be appreciated for his attempt anyway...
Post Sun Jan 12, 2003 6:19 pm
FICKSER
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Perl-Code

Perl-Code is this a program we can download for free???
I want to try it on the demo first.
Before i go any further.
Damn would be nice to know a firm release date so I don't have to go and try this. By the time i figure it all out the english verson will be out LOL.
Thanks for the tip anyway.
Post Sun Jan 12, 2003 7:10 pm
Kiwi Boy
High Emperor
High Emperor

Re: Perl-Code

quote:
Perl-Code is this a program we can download for free???
I want to try it on the demo first.
Before i go any further.

Well, according to PerlDoc.com,
quote:
Perl is a high-level programming language with an eclectic heritage written by Larry Wall and a cast of thousands. It derives from the ubiquitous C programming language and to a lesser extent from sed, awk, the Unix shell, and at least a dozen other tools and languages. Perl's process, file, and text manipulation facilities make it particularly well-suited for tasks involving quick prototyping, system utilities, software tools, system management tasks, database access, graphical programming, networking, and world wide web programming. These strengths make it especially popular with system administrators and CGI script authors, but mathematicians, geneticists, journalists, and even managers also use Perl. Maybe you should, too.

Source: http://www.perldoc.com/perl5.6/pod/perlfaq1.html
So, all in all, it's a programming language. Do you think you can master Perl before the game release?

quote:
Damn would be nice to know a firm release date so I don't have to go and try this. By the time i figure it all out the english verson will be out LOL.

The officially announced release date is Q1 2003, and the exact release date is not yet known. It can be the end of Jan, mid Feb, or the beginning of March.
Post Sun Jan 12, 2003 11:16 pm
FICKSER
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Can I master Perl

LOL .NO i don't think i can master Perl-code before the game is released here.
I thought it would be a little easier.
I will just wait for the English version to come out.
Post Mon Jan 13, 2003 4:32 am
Kiwi Boy
High Emperor
High Emperor

Or you can use a German-English dictionary and master your dictionary-flipping skills.. that what I did.. hehe..

By the way, Jowood have just passed through their financial problems today. Hopefully they'll announce the release date some time this week.
Post Mon Jan 13, 2003 5:23 am
HornOx
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

i guess this translation is better as the last one: http://tagmt.devmode.de/downloads/g2demo_english.zip
(unzip in "c:\program files\Gothic2 Demo\DATA")
Post Sun Jan 19, 2003 10:12 pm
Kiwi Boy
High Emperor
High Emperor

Thanks so much... HornOx...

The new conversation subtitles are MUCH more understandable... At first glance, they seem to be translated by actual human beings.

Comparison: (SPOILER: lines by Lothar)
OLD: First: the honor values Paladin lord cultivated resides together with its troop in the upper quarter. Therefore the access to the upper quarter only honor value is allowed castles.

NEW: First: The honorable paladin Lord Hagen resides in the upper quarter, along with his troops. That is why access to the upper quarter is allowed only to honorable citizens.

But, the names of NPC's are a bit strange. Lord Andre becomes "Others", Fester becomes "Solid", and Pepe becomes "Satan". If you have time, HornOx, I hope you can fix that.

Anyway, well done and thanks for your work, HornOx!!
Post Mon Jan 20, 2003 4:21 am
oozle
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

quote:
i guess this translation is better as the last one: http://tagmt.devmode.de/downloads/g2demo_english.zip
(unzip in "c:\program files\Gothic2 Demo\DATA")

The link is down
Post Mon Jan 20, 2003 7:36 am
HornOx
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

The conversation subtitles are translated by actual human beings, the german patch 1.29 Beta contains an english version of the conversation subtitles I use the auto translator only for the remaining text (including names, item discription etc).
@oozle: The link was just for a few minutes down.
Post Mon Jan 20, 2003 8:28 pm
Srikandi
Noble Knight
Noble Knight

Does that mean that you could easily post English subtitles for the full version?
Post Mon Jan 20, 2003 9:33 pm
elkston
High Emperor
High Emperor

Ahh Yes, these are MUCH better. Almost a 100% improvement. Thank you very much, HornOx. I am now playing the demo again and getting further enjoyment because I can better understand the translations.

There are still a few awkward word and phrase choices (in the conversations I mean, the other stuff I know was auto translated) though. I hope that this isn't the FINAL version and that there will be further polishing before the official english release. Gothic I had an almost flawless English translation. The language used was quite natural even down to the slang. You would never know that the game was originally in German and that's how it should be. I hope that the same high standards are met for Gohtic II.

Also, it seems the auto translator made some different (even funnier) choices this time. For example, "Level Up" becomes "Step Climbed". I was laughing out loud when the game announced with heroic fanfare:

STEP CLIMBED!!!

quote:
The conversation subtitles are translated by actual human beings, the german patch 1.29 Beta contains an english version of the conversation subtitles I use the auto translator only for the remaining text (including names, item discription etc).
@oozle: The link was just for a few minutes down.
Post Tue Jan 21, 2003 12:54 am
InfernalSlayer
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

Wow i haven t been on the net so long that they make an english subtitles!!! i will like to get this subtitles because i dont understand german too! can some one tell me something about it and meybe send them to me please!

Thanx!
Post Fri Jan 24, 2003 10:08 am

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next