Oh my Innos I'm Obsessed!
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Gothic 2 General

Author Thread
ToddMcF2002
Leader of the Senate
Leader of the Senate

Oh my Innos I'm Obsessed!

First post. Just finished Gothic 2 last night. What a game! What a contrast to Morrowind's extreme suckitude. I bought Gothic 2, Arx Fatalis and Morrowind at the same time right before XMas and finally tried Morrowind yesterday - and...... was totally blown away by its suckiness compared to Gothic 2. Combat sucks. Landscape sucks. NPC's suck. Suck suck suck and more suck. So I installed Gothic 1 which I bought on Amazon USED for a whopping $40. Installed on XP, got the WASD Gothic II keyboard/mouse thing working for the most part. Hey, its better than Morrowind graphically, combat, NPC's etc.

Hey, does anyone get the urge to play Severance / Blade of Darkness when they are playing Gothic games? When I first started Gothic 2 I was thinking it was exactly what I wanted Severance to be. An RPG version of Severance. I really loved Severance but I never finished it. And yes I did dig the controls in Severance. I think I got half way though - beating the big demon to get the red flaming sword or whatever...

Sorry for babbling, I just like to talk about games! Which reminds me, for the 2 minutes I played Arx Fatalis the other night - much better than Morrowind
Post Mon Jan 10, 2005 3:56 pm
Sem
Solid as a Rock
Solid as a Rock

Join the club, Todd . Most of us here are obsessed (god knows with what )so you've come to the right place.

Never played Morrowind, and won't do it after hearing every gothicfan who also played Morrowind. I tried Arx, but couldn't get used to the first person view.

I did play Severance, a lot of times. Even managed to beat the game without codes. Also the only game that I play with codes. I just want to fight a little.
From what I've heard G3 might be a wonderful cross-breed from G2 and Severance with a much more advanced fighting system.

But man you're ripped of with G1, you can get a (german) version for less than 10 euro (without shipping cost etc).
Post Mon Jan 10, 2005 5:00 pm
Chekote
Where’s my Banana?!?!
Where’s my Banana?!?!

Gothic 1 (English) is very hard to find nowadays. $40 isnt surprising considering its rarity.
Post Mon Jan 10, 2005 6:47 pm
Jaz
Late Night Spook
Late Night Spook

Welcome to the forums!

@Sem: I consider myself a fan of the Gothic games, yet I liked Morrowind a lot. I also liked Arx a lot, but I prefer first person view, anyway, plus I had loved the UU games Arx had borrowed from.

By the way... games don't suck. Someone either likes a game, or s/he doesn't.
Post Mon Jan 10, 2005 7:06 pm
Rangehurts
High Emperor
High Emperor

Gothic 1 and 2 took my heart forever. Yes i played Morrowin and I would say that its good. Its really good. So many different thing like forks and all that(WHY DO YOU NEED FORKS IN RPG?! )
But I agree with anyone who says that Gothic is better. Gothic gives you certain feeling. Its an unexplainable feeling and the game is also uncomparable. I would say that Gothic rules.

Btw, have you ever heard of Dungeon Lords? Its seems to be as good as Gothic only online.
Post Mon Jan 10, 2005 8:33 pm
Sem
Solid as a Rock
Solid as a Rock

quote:
Originally posted by Chekote
Gothic 1 (English) is very hard to find nowadays. $40 isnt surprising considering its rarity.

Rollenspiel-shop.de has it still in shop, English version are probably harder to find, yes.

Dungeon Lords is just singleplayer, the same way gothic is. It only has the option to play co-op with lan, but it isn't an mmorp or something like that. I know it looks very promising.
Post Mon Jan 10, 2005 8:33 pm
Maylander
High Emperor
High Emperor

Yupp, welcome to the "I-love-gothic-above-any-other-game" club. There's a lot of us by now!

The whole key to Gothic, in my opinion, is the "feeling" of the world. It actually feels something. It's a place you want to go back to, a place you like. And this feeling is completely unique to Gothic.

Now we're all just waiting for Gothic 3!

You might also want to keep an eye out for the English version of the add-on to Gothic 2, The Night of the Raven. It is said to be on its way, but not many in here actually believe it(so we're playing with the German add-on, but with english subtitles).
Post Mon Jan 10, 2005 9:07 pm
Rangehurts
High Emperor
High Emperor

quote:
Dungeon Lords is just singleplayer, the same way gothic is. It only has the option to play co-op with lan, but it isn't an mmorp or something like that. I know it looks very promising.

oh. ok. So... looks like Gothic will be my fav game forever. (btw, i always thought im the only person in the world who likes Gothic )

ToddMcF2002, if you like Gothic you really should join 1 of usergroups. im new too. I completed G2 a long time ago. i got the game on the 3 day after it was released but only 1 month ago i found out about this forum. So...I immediatly joined one of the usergroups and im very glad i did that. now i know so many good people who likes Gothic.

And WELCOME TO THE FORUM

Last edited by Rangehurts on Mon Jan 10, 2005 10:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post Mon Jan 10, 2005 9:34 pm
ToddMcF2002
Leader of the Senate
Leader of the Senate

I'll give Morrowind another crack - I paid for it after all.

I'm definately looking forward to DungeonLords - since it looks like Bradley was paying very close attention to Gothic 2 as he was playing it and designing his own game at the same time A US development rip off for sure - but thats a good thing - the right person was Gothic-aware.

He claims the world will be much larger than Gothic 2 - sounds good to me!

As far as Night of the Raven, I'm aware of the current Atari/JoWood fiasco. If it doesnt materialize in English over the next few months I'll buy the German version and install the English Mod.

By Innos I'm still holding out hope for a true English adaptation...
Post Mon Jan 10, 2005 10:04 pm
Morning.LemoN
Village Leader
Village Leader

quote:
You might also want to keep an eye out for the English version of the add-on to Gothic 2, The Night of the Raven. It is said to be on its way, but not many in here actually believe it

...i still believe it!! believe it or not, i still haven't played NOTR with subtitles, and all this time i've been silently observing the developments...(there, i came out )
the waiting is good for induration anwyay...since all good games nowadays do come with at least half a year delay, not to say more....
yes, the gaming industry is "retarded" indeed...

anyways, Welcome to the forums ToddMcF2002
Post Mon Jan 10, 2005 10:20 pm
ToddMcF2002
Leader of the Senate
Leader of the Senate

Two things:

Heart of Eternity:
Ever heard of it? Gothic 2 clone for sure - looks fantastic but I'm not sure what its development status is. Its a Ukrainian game - here is the English website. http://www.udc-game.com/eng/ RPGDot has some info on it. The download section has a bad link - but you can see the engine in action
www.udc-game.com/download/UDC-HoE.avi
Its pretty impressive.

Morrowind:
My third attempt to play it last night. OK, forget melee its awful. So I build a High Elf and tried strait up Mage and it was pretty cool. I'm a little lost on the leveling system. I've got alot of AD&D misconceptions - I bought a "Fireball" scroll and didnt have to write it to a spell book or study it or anything? Hmmm... So I can use whatever spells I can buy provided I have enough Mana and Gold? Alright.... It turns out Spellcraft is the only way I can kill anything but thats ok, that was my intent. I want ranged weapons though - but I can't hit the broadside of a barn with my shortbow. Blind elf I guess. Probably need a skill / training? So in fairness the game is pretty cool and I'll keep going with it for a while.
Post Tue Jan 11, 2005 2:33 pm
Mercenary
Helpful Friend
Helpful Friend

I liked Gothic very very much and I can say its better then Morrowind IMO but Morrowind impressed me quite widely too. I was lost at start but when I got the hang of game and researched some areas it became fun. (Even funnier when I found out how I can make my own additions to game )

-=Captain of Militia of RPGDot Shadows=-
-=Leader of Mercenaries of Gothic Rogues=-
-=Proud member of NFG=-
-=Forever one soul of Seekers of Chromanin=-
Post Tue Jan 11, 2005 4:45 pm
ToddMcF2002
Leader of the Senate
Leader of the Senate

I got a reply from one of the "Heart of Eternity" developers - its still in progress - I was a bit worried it had been cancelled. Apparently they have run into problems (no specifics mentioned) but its still progressing.

If you havent seen the AVI I mentioned above I *highly* recommend checking it out. Looks alot like Gothic 2.
Post Tue Jan 11, 2005 6:10 pm
Chekote
Where’s my Banana?!?!
Where’s my Banana?!?!

I checked it out. It looks very promising. It also looks like it has a good chance fo being screwed up.

Lets hope they hit the mark.
Post Tue Jan 11, 2005 9:48 pm
mookmaster
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

does anyone else have the problem of not being authorized to view those links posted by ToddMcF2002? For some reason its not working for me.
Post Wed Jan 12, 2005 12:50 am

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next