How weapon really work?
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Gothic 2 Spoilers

Author Thread
Gotit
Captain of the Guard
Captain of the Guard

How weapon really work?

It' just my first replay and even if I played mage at my first play I used a lot weapons. I am asking me questions on how they work.

1 - I am using the 2H mage staff with hit 70 and has str 40. No skill trained but 4 bonud in 2H given by the staff.

I can do sometimes big blows, sometimes not but the big blows are much more powerfull than normal one. How is this possible?

I explain : If big blow are coming from the str bonus how 40 can blow much more than normal 70? Even wirh protection from the oponent I don't feel it match. If oponents had such a protection how ant other weapon could hit?
Is there here a strong penalty against most oponents coming from the staff use instead of a sword?

2 - I have a strong feeling that there isn't only random behind big blows but:
- That I never get them from the second ht chain (there's onyl 2 hit in the sequence at this low skill).
- That I get them much more often from blows given in shorter range.
Any comments on this?

I don"t think there's any relationship but my character isn't in any guild yet.
Post Sat Dec 31, 2005 7:52 am
EDV
High Emperor
High Emperor

The melee combat in the gothic serie is plit in 1-handed weapons (faster, less strenght needed, weaker, shorter range) and 2-handed (slower, more strenght needed, stronger, larger range). If you were fighting 2-handed it shouldn't make a difference what type of weapon you use (sword, axe, hammer, etc.)(some special quests excluded).

The chance you make a hit that deals extra damage depends on your weapon skill. For example: if you have trained fighting with 2-handed weapons until 30 the chance you'll make a extra damage hit is 30%. With higher level of skill your fighting style 'evolves' at untrained you can only do a 2 or 3 hit combo, but if you mastered the art of sword fighting you can do a 5 or higher hit combo.

I hope this awnsers your question.

By the way, are you playing NOTR?
Post Sat Dec 31, 2005 6:25 pm
Gotit
Captain of the Guard
Captain of the Guard

Ok thanks for the answers, few more questions:

- How with str about 40, a weapon hit 70 I can have hit with extra damage 4 time higher than hit with normal damage? Is there any non german NOTR documentation that gives some details on this?
- About the combo, not sure of what you mean. Is there any non german NOTR documentation on this?
Bellow what I found, it's quite short except for 1H bellow 30 which is quite strange.

About combo, I made few tries and the only thing that looks like combo I could find was with 1H bellow 30. With this weapon and level. It's possible:
- Attack fofward + forward :
Attack forward a little to the right, then attack from left to rigth. No really a combo if you ask me more a chain of moves but require some synchronization to not be broken
- Attack left + right + left + right and so on :
Attack left, attack right, and so on. Again not really a combo but require some synchronization to not be broken so let say a little combo.
- Attack forward + forward + forward and so on, with a right sychronization to start it :
Attack forward a little to the right, Attack forward a little to the right and so on with no end. To start it requires more synchronization than the previous series. But once it is started you can have shorter or longer delay between the moves. That one looks a lot more like a combo if you ask me.
- Attack forward+left/right/parry : Once you entered in the previous mode it's then easier to chain any attacks with no break and not have instead the character to move (typically strafing).

But that's the only mode (1H bellow 30) that I could find something looking like a combo. For any other modes I can only find :
* A limited series of different hits by successive forward attack:
- 2 attacks with 1H/2H bellow 30
- 4 attacks with 1H/2H between 30 and 60, but the 4th attack with 2H is very fast and just do damages but doesn't really show any cinematic, looks a lot like a last minute change and unfinished stuff.
- 4 or 5 attacks with 1H/2H above 60 I can't remember if it's 4 or 5, but faster than bellow 60.
* Attack (any) + Parry + Attack (any) : More easier to do for me with 2H but seems similar in 1H.
* Attack left+rigth+left+rigth and so on. If it is interupt by an attack forward then can't be chained back by left or right attack instead you strafe unlike the combo series with 1H bellow 30.
Post Mon Jan 02, 2006 7:20 pm
Maylander
High Emperor
High Emperor

You have a "basic damage" that is applied on all hits. I can't recall what this basic damage is. Whenever you do a crit, your damage is weapondamage + strength - creature armor or something like that.

Bows, on the other hand, always crit. Bow damage is always bowdamage + dexterity, the % there is only precision with the bow, and does not affect the damage.

Combos don't give extra damage, they just help the fights go smoother, making it easier for you not to get hit.
Post Tue Jan 03, 2006 1:13 am
Gotit
Captain of the Guard
Captain of the Guard

Ok thanks for the answer, well a base damage with special formula could explain all.

Are you sure that bows has no normal hits / hits with extra damage? I read the reverse somewhere here.

And nobody has nothing about special combo hits? I never been a console player and have let say a low dex with that sort of stuff. So some help could help where to search even if in practice I often I prefer interrupt a series of hits by movements.
Post Tue Jan 03, 2006 6:06 am