View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Knights of the Old Republic

Author Thread
antagonistix
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

KOTR on a laptop (new one)

Hi People,

I have 2 computers at home, one is an almighty pc and KOTR flies on it.
However I also have a laptop with the following SPEC.

INTEL CENTRINO
RADEON mobility 9000 64MB
512MB RAM
plenty disk space on ata100 disks

KOTR just shows me a SLIDE SHOW

forget frames per second,
I get seconds per frame instead and thats at 640x480 and everything on minimum.

can someone tell me why please as it should be plenty powerful enough to play with minimum settings. Id like to be able to play on trains and in bed sometimes so would love it to work on my laptop.

Thanks
Post Thu Jan 08, 2004 4:18 pm
Dhruin
Stranger In A Strange Land
Stranger In A Strange Land

Most Centrino notebooks use the embedded Intel 855 which is very slow. If you're sure yours has a Radeon 9000 (which still isn't very fast but is supported), I'd check the drivers you have. The latest Radeon drivers are Cat 3.10.
Post Thu Jan 08, 2004 8:58 pm
the mighty stamar
High Emperor
High Emperor

I play on an older laptop than you have

it is amd 1800
gforce mx 32mb
256 mb ram

it runs fine 1024x. However I run into the memory leak bug and the frames per second is like what u described. However its occasionally not all the time.

changing the screen size will not make anything faster in an lcd screen I have found it will make it slower. So dont start there make the size the size of your screen. The graphics card is making it 1024 x 780 anyway.

My laptop is similar to yours but worse. The graphics card is almost as fast but slower. So its not the systems specs.

It is likely a memory leak with a program in the background, because what is happening is the game is running off of your hard drive swap file which is significantly slower than ram. This is just my experience from gaming a lot. open taskmanager while the game is running and look at the memory being used.shut down almost all of the programs you dont need. This is a bug though so I dont guarantee it can be fixed without the developer releasing something

Remember this is an x box game, and x box has a 32 mb nvidia card just like in my laptop so it could be card driver causing the leak.

However, the next most likely culprit is the sound card. Does the sound chop? Check sound settings in the game and in control settings and try to turn them off.
Post Fri Jan 09, 2004 6:48 am
antagonistix
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Thansk for the reply guys.

Its definately a 9000 mobility thats why i got this particular laptop. Was the fastest at the time. My other machine has a 9700Pro.
However the laptop only takes acers own drivers. It wont let me install standard catalysts !

Yes the sound chops! I tried enabling disabling sound, making sure no programs ran in the background other than windows xp service hosts and other essential components.
I have 512 RAM here and its not shared with the Video card !

The memory leak thing is worth a look at but even from a fresh boot the game wont run more than a slide show !
Is anyone aware of any ini settings that might help ?

cheers
Now getting desperate to play in bed !

I
Post Fri Jan 09, 2004 7:50 pm
the mighty stamar
High Emperor
High Emperor

a ha well there you go.

you will need to install the real catalyst drivers manually.

ok the acer drivers are different because of the seperate modes in a laptop for power management. These features are worthless.
you will go to control panel, settings display advanced drivers uninstall. Then install driver and go to where u put the new catalyst driver.

It will not call them 9000 mobility drivers it will call them 9000 drivers and it will say some alert.

You can do this from system easier display drivers choose from this location etc. Do a system restore point before you do this.
Post Sat Jan 10, 2004 5:35 am
antagonistix
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

quote:
Originally posted by the mighty stamar
a ha well there you go.

you will need to install the real catalyst drivers manually.

ok the acer drivers are different because of the seperate modes in a laptop for power management. These features are worthless.
you will go to control panel, settings display advanced drivers uninstall. Then install driver and go to where u put the new catalyst driver.

It will not call them 9000 mobility drivers it will call them 9000 drivers and it will say some alert.

You can do this from system easier display drivers choose from this location etc. Do a system restore point before you do this.

Well done dude !

I manually installed cat 3.10 as Radeon 9000 and bingo !
Works like a dream, I can even run 1024x768 with everything except AA maxed out ! And its smooth !
Nothing like running on my main machine with the 9700Pro at 1600x1200 but its still damned good for a laptop.

D
Post Mon Jan 12, 2004 5:48 pm
the mighty stamar
High Emperor
High Emperor

Well I used my old sony nvidia g4mx drivers for a long time before it finally sunk in that there were never going to be new ones.

Im not sure if this is part of a laptop manufacturers planned obselecense (sp). When the drivers are too out of date youll put another 2 grand or so into a new one?

Ps ur graphics card is about a year old. there are ati 9600 and geforce 5650 cards out there if ur into gaming adn they came out Im thinking 4 months ago.. Just responding to its the best available comment you have. An ati 9000 is a geforce 3 level card.
Post Wed Jan 14, 2004 12:35 pm