Arachnophobia
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Dungeon Siege

Author Thread
Badger
Stripey Forest Dweller
Stripey Forest Dweller

Arachnophobia

I had another long DS session last night. Well, long for me anyway, 9 – 11:30. I can’t recall the name of the dungeon I am in, but I guess it is the first proper dungeon in the game and I got to it soon after a let the North Tower, where I completed the Axe Quest.

I have to say that I am pretty much hooked on this game and despite being tired, I found myself just wanting to clear one more room, to see if some new beastie might be waiting for me inside.

Bit of a spider theme going on at this place. The manual says there is a spell on the dungeon that attracts them. Well it sure attracted a lot of them. Then you have half spider half man (ish) chaps. These seem to come in two varieties. The spit acid at you variety and the run over and stab you with these enormously sharp claws variety.

There are giant skulls floating around that spit little flaming skulls at you. Unfortunately these tend to look like they dropped off a novelty Key Ring.

Then of course there are the staple Skeleton melee warriors and pesky Archers.

I have a feeling that we are leading up to a confrontation with a Huge Aggressive Arachnid before we get out of this place.

I have to admit, that although I am greatly enjoying this, I was staring to wane ever so slightly by the time I stopped in last nights session. It does seem rather as if all the rooms just contain the same baddies, just more or less of them.

I found myself employing DAOC tactics by leaving my archer and my second fighter, either side of a door in a room we had already cleared. Then walking my remaining character up the corridor of the next chamber to “Pull” the nasties in a few at a time, back to the doorway and the grisly death that awaited them there. Although every now and again, if I thought the odds were in my favour, I would just wade in with the whole group, cry havoc and let slip the dogs of war etc!

The event that ended my session was that I was starting to wonder when I would open the next chamber door and see an exit. Then I opened one and saw a cage. Well we all piled in (as you do) and pressed the button. Going up? Noooo boys.. we’re going Dooowwwnnn! Hmmmmm save game, time for bed I think.

Can’t see myself finishing this before “Never Winter Nights”. But what the hell, I’m just going to have to buy it anyway because It’s the law! Plus I’ve been waiting for it for ages! (And Morrowind) NeverWinter will be a completely different animal to DS anyway….. won’t it?
Post Tue Apr 23, 2002 3:26 pm
Danicek
The Old One
The Old One

Yes, it will .

Spider, spider everywhere... I do not like spiders, but robots with flamethrowers are worse .
Post Tue Apr 23, 2002 11:41 pm
Arms Of Dirt
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

The spiders will only get worse before they get better... I'm afraid... And the "Mucosa' (which are the half-man looking insects) can be quite nasty... especially in large groups...

Expect some 'ambushes' just before you're ready to get out of the area your are in... (which, incidentally, is called 'Wesrin Cross') When you enter what seems to be an endless room with a smaller room in the center containing a health and mana fountain, you'll know your exit lies just ahead... But not before you encounter just one more Arachnid... Fortunately... it doesn't move...

Arms of Dirt
Post Wed Apr 24, 2002 12:10 am
SuperCowMan24
Blademaster of the Moo
Blademaster of the Moo

hehe cooool
Post Wed Apr 24, 2002 12:30 am
Badger
Stripey Forest Dweller
Stripey Forest Dweller

Arms Of Dirt says: "your exit lies just ahead... But not before you encounter just one more Arachnid... Fortunately... it doesn't move... "

HA! I just knew it! Your saying there is some kind of Ninja Bast Spider waiting for me at the end of this dungeon arn't you! (Brrrrrrr) And I'm guessing that he will want to invite me to dinner, right?

Well these forms of eveil hold no fear for me. My party lives by a simple set of rules.

1/ If it has more than two legs, kill it!
2/ If it has two legs, kill it!
3/ If it only has one leg and spends its time struggling through the forrest in a wheelchair..... Kill it.
4/ If it is a great philosopher, discuss with it the meaning of life..... then kill it!

Of course we don't get invited to many parties...... but what the heck. We're too cool for parties anyway.

Badger
Post Wed Apr 24, 2002 8:59 am
Danicek
The Old One
The Old One

To your rules:

1/ I agree
2/ I agree
3/ I agree
4/ I agree

Post Wed Apr 24, 2002 9:09 am
Arms Of Dirt
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Great rules of life in the Dungeons... And I am sure, were you to be invited to a party in the dungeons... your rules would be most accepted...

Yes, your 'prediction' was very true... just splash him with a little Acid Gas... he'll whither and perish... as will all of his legs...

Arms Of Dirt
Post Wed Apr 24, 2002 1:45 pm
vaticide
Put food in here
Put food in here

quote:
Originally posted by Badger

1/ If it has more than two legs, kill it!
2/ If it has two legs, kill it!
3/ If it only has one leg and spends its time struggling through the forrest in a wheelchair..... Kill it.
4/ If it is a great philosopher, discuss with it the meaning of life..... then kill it!

Hmm... You left out one important scenario. If it has no legs? Or less than no legs?

-v
Post Wed Apr 24, 2002 2:10 pm
Badger
Stripey Forest Dweller
Stripey Forest Dweller

You are absolutely right Vaticide. I appologise. To anyone who is stuck in that situation. Under those circumstances you should KILL IT!

Thankyou for bringing that to my attention.

Badger
Post Wed Apr 24, 2002 2:22 pm