RPGDot Network    

Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic 2: The Sith Lords (Xbox)
Display full image
Pic of the moment
More
pics from the gallery

Site Navigation

Main
   News
   Forums

Games
   Games Database
   Top 100
   Release List
   Support Files

Features
   Reviews
   Previews
   Interviews
   Editorials
   Diaries
   Misc

Download
   Gallery
   Music
   Screenshots
   Videos

Miscellaneous
   Staff Members
   Privacy Statement

FAQ
Members
Usergroups
Can you survive...
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > CRPGs General

Author Thread
Val
Risen From Ashes
Risen From Ashes

Can you survive...

in Finland?!

The The UnReal World is an addicting little game that sucked up all of my time yesterday. You're basically dropped into the Iron Age in a primitive Finland and you have to build your own shelter, hunt your own food and do your best to survive in a hostile environment.

It's a survival simulator where you can roleplay your little character. Become whatever you want: a fisherman, a hunter, a lumberjack, a bandit who robs and kills passing travelers (), a hermit, whatever!

The graphics are on par with Ultima 4, but who cares! It's all about the gameplay!

Now if you'll excuse me, I'm going to go try out this new fishing pole I... um... borrowed from the corpse over there.
Post Tue May 25, 2004 2:41 pm
xSamhainx
Paws of Doom
Paws of Doom

I'll give it a try, things are slow here at work ='.'=
“Then away out in the woods I heard that kind of a sound that a ghost makes when it wants to tell about something that's on its mind and can't make itself understood, and so can't rest easy in its grave, and has to go about that way every night grieving.”-Mark Twain
Post Tue May 25, 2004 8:12 pm
Val
Risen From Ashes
Risen From Ashes

It's a fun little game for killing spare time.

My goodie, goodie character is well on his way to completing his first building. A sauna! He wants to live in style.
He's also sporting a new pair for pig skin chaps that he made himself.

My crazy hermit character is living it up Grand Theft Auto medieval style. A passing Adventurer made the mistake of barging into Krull's hut. Krull, being reasonably upset at this intrusion into his solitude, proceeded to smack the Adventurer over the head with his homemade staff, while the Adventurer was trying to say "Name?" and "Job?".
Name!
Job!
Why, the very audacity of it made Krull's head pound! Who was this simpleton to question him! And in Krull's own home no less!
Krull proceeded to pummel the Adventurer to death. Looking down at the twitching corpse, Krull decided to try out an experiment. A few day later Krull was sporting a new, finely made, leather Adventurer shirt.
Krull noticed that no animals had eaten the corpse, and rather than letting all of that fine meat simply go to waste, Krull chopped it up into tasty little bits and had Adventurer burgers that night.
Krull then had an epiphany. He painted up a little sign and posted it on the edge of his land. It proudly declared, "Adventurers welcome!"
Krull cackled gleefully.
Post Wed May 26, 2004 1:32 pm
xSamhainx
Paws of Doom
Paws of Doom

It made my work pc freak out, and then me

It took me a long time to get all the engineering progs working on my work pc right, im not running anything on it that doesnt run like a top. I'd be up the creek big time if something happened to it, even tho Im backed up to the server. Broke out in a cold sweat when it locked up tight and I had to basically unplug. Might try it here at home if I get the time, sounds kinda fun ='.'=
“Then away out in the woods I heard that kind of a sound that a ghost makes when it wants to tell about something that's on its mind and can't make itself understood, and so can't rest easy in its grave, and has to go about that way every night grieving.”-Mark Twain
Post Fri May 28, 2004 4:12 am
Val
Risen From Ashes
Risen From Ashes

Well, it is a DOS game. Those aren't always happy when running on NT, 2000 or XP. I use DOSBox with my XP machine and it runs fine.

An update on my characters...

Krull, sadly is now resting in peace after trying to take on six Foriegn Traders. One of them stole some of his firewood and when he went to bash that thief's head in, the others ganged up on him.

Derrick, the goodie goodie, finished his sauna and a cottage. He then went to town and got married. Twice! Apparently, the young maidens are twins. He armed them with staffs and took them hunting. They were pretty good at it too! Derrick now has a plan.... There's a camp full of hostiles a few areas over. With an army of wives, it'd be pretty easy to take them on....
Post Fri May 28, 2004 5:05 pm
Rydjord
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

One question, is this game free or does it require registration?
Post Sat May 29, 2004 12:22 pm
piln
High Emperor
High Emperor

My compliments on your two bizarre creations, Val.

quote:
Originally posted by Val
...army of wives...

A potential anime title if ever I heard one.
I need to try this game myself, but after Sam's scary episode, I'm reluctant to do so at work. Guess I'd better wait...
Post Sat May 29, 2004 7:54 pm
Val
Risen From Ashes
Risen From Ashes

Kiitos.

quote:
Originally posted by Rydjord
One question, is this game free or does it require registration?

You can download it for free and play. Your characters will only live for 10 days until you register the game.
Post Tue Jun 01, 2004 9:27 pm
piln
High Emperor
High Emperor

quote:
Originally posted by xSamhainx
It made my work pc freak out

Mine too. But the most important thing running on it is a discussion thread about Big Brother, so no sweat. Gave me time to go make a cup o' tea. I'll have to grab DOSBox or something and try again.
Post Tue Jun 01, 2004 11:44 pm
Majnun
Village Leader
Village Leader

This game is amazingly addictive (at least it has been for me).

I got it running on a winxp system by using this:

http://www.ph7.gotdns.org/rpg/urw/downloads.php

You don't need to use laggy ass DOSBox at all. Save your eyes and use that vga fix instead.

I just wish the registered game wasn't so expensive. $25 just seems like a tad much for what it is, I'd pay $15 in a minute though. I mean that's fine for something like Geneforge 2 but this game doesn't seem like it'll have anywhere near that kind of depth to it.
Post Fri Jul 09, 2004 3:29 am
Val
Risen From Ashes
Risen From Ashes

That depends on whether you can get your character to live longer than month or not.

Derrick and his wives are doing quite well now that they are entering winter.
Post Fri Jul 09, 2004 10:52 pm
The Hulk
Avenger, Defender
Avenger, Defender

quote:
Originally posted by Val
It's a fun little game for killing spare time.

My goodie, goodie character is well on his way to completing his first building. A sauna! He wants to live in style.
He's also sporting a new pair for pig skin chaps that he made himself.

My crazy hermit character is living it up Grand Theft Auto medieval style. A passing Adventurer made the mistake of barging into Krull's hut. Krull, being reasonably upset at this intrusion into his solitude, proceeded to smack the Adventurer over the head with his homemade staff, while the Adventurer was trying to say "Name?" and "Job?".
Name!
Job!
Why, the very audacity of it made Krull's head pound! Who was this simpleton to question him! And in Krull's own home no less!
Krull proceeded to pummel the Adventurer to death. Looking down at the twitching corpse, Krull decided to try out an experiment. A few day later Krull was sporting a new, finely made, leather Adventurer shirt.
Krull noticed that no animals had eaten the corpse, and rather than letting all of that fine meat simply go to waste, Krull chopped it up into tasty little bits and had Adventurer burgers that night.
Krull then had an epiphany. He painted up a little sign and posted it on the edge of his land. It proudly declared, "Adventurers welcome!"
Krull cackled gleefully.

Post Sun Aug 22, 2004 9:54 pm
Val
Risen From Ashes
Risen From Ashes

Yeah, it's what happens when I'm given complete and total freedom.
Post Sun Aug 22, 2004 10:09 pm