Usergroups
Bethesda announces Pirates of the Caribbean
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > News Comments

Author Thread
Davo
City Guard
City Guard

One other factor to consider is that the game is being released on the Xbox and PC in June, just as Bethesda had planned for Seadogs II. Also note that Bethesda had no plans to release Seadogs II on the Playstation 2. Now, Pirates of the Caribbean will release on the PS2, but at some future date. I think when you look at the whole picture--same developer, same publisher, same setting, same graphics, initial release on the same systems--you can't conclude anything but that Pirates of the Caribbean is Seadogs II under a different name.
Post Fri Mar 28, 2003 2:25 pm
dteowner
Shoegazer
Shoegazer

I wonder why they wouldn't want to link the two titles. They've marketed SD2 to the point where gamers are interested. Seems to me that Disney would like to take advantage of the gamers' hype on SD2 and it wouldn't affect the Disney hype on PotC. Combined marketing reaches more audience, which is good for both Disney and Bethesda.

Unless there really are major differences mandated by Disney. If Disney HAS sanitized the game, then Bethesda might want to keep the titles seperated so as not to completely, umm, upset the gaming community.
RIP Red Wings How 'Bout Dem Cowboys!
Post Fri Mar 28, 2003 3:56 pm
Dhruin
Stranger In A Strange Land
Stranger In A Strange Land

Exactly on all points!
Post Fri Mar 28, 2003 10:48 pm
BuzzSaw
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Money talks! I'm sure that Disney has wriiten some pretty damn big checks to be able to step in and call SD2, Pirates of the Carib. I mean its just absolute radio silence at Bethesda and Akella with regard to SD2. I'm sure Disney wrote some big checks and as part of the agreements, Bethesda and others can only say that SD2 is no more but we have a new game called POC!

Disney has seen the huge sales that are occuring with movie tie-ins. Even really piss poor video/pc games seem to do outstanding sales. And this is a Disney movie, which means that so many games will be sold to families who will never play them--because the Disney family just seems to buy all of that Disney crap.

Cheers
Post Mon Mar 31, 2003 9:36 pm

Goto page Previous  1, 2