New info regarding "disappearing items."
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Morrowind - Spoilers

Author Thread
Interzone
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

New info regarding "disappearing items."

First, it's not a bug, so don't freak out.

Second, you'll notice that when you lose a bunch of items, it's only things you've stolen, and it only happens when you get approached by a guard for commiting a crime.

Third, and this is what I just found out, is that you can get them back. Yep, that's right. If you get caught by a guard and he steals your stuff, figure out where "the police station" is. In Sedya Need, it's in the census office you start off in. In Peligiad, it'd in the dungeon of the castle. I don't know just where it is in other cities (and come to think of it, both Sedya Neen and Peligiad are "Imperial" cities, so maybe Dunmer cities are different... I'll have to go find that out.) Next, look for a treasure chest marked "evidence." It'll probably have a lock level of 50. If you can manage to get the chest open without getting caught, you'll find all your things in there (or most of them at least.)

I just tested this out in Sedya Neen. First, I quicksaved and killed the guard and the robed guy who you talk to at the beginning. Then I picked the lock on the chest and found it empty. Then, I reloaded the game and purposely got myself caught so my things would be taken. Then I picked the lock again and found that all my things were indeed in the previously empty chest.

Neat, huh? I don't feel so cheated when the guards take my things, now (even though getting them back can be a pain...)

Just thought I'd get that little snippet of info out, since I haven't seen anyone mention it yet.
Post Fri May 10, 2002 4:39 am
MrWinkey
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Cool!

Great news i thought it was a bug and got sort of turned off by this game cause of that. (not that i stopped playing) but now its a different story

almost got a full glass armor now and dagger, short sword and long sword. found an axe and an halberd too but i have no use for them. man the "castle" thingies to the north by red mountain has some GREAT loot!
Post Fri May 10, 2002 6:33 am
Xanaki
Ghost of Asheron
Ghost of Asheron

I must somewhat disagree on something you said. I don't think it's only the STOLEN items the guard will take.

As I did one test where I dropped every stolen item on the ground and then gave myself in. The guard took a ton of my items, including all the scrolls I had *NOT* stolen but was given by the mages guild etc.

So, it seems that they take something else too than just stolen items. Or maybe the game considers GIVEN items as stolen.
Post Fri May 10, 2002 6:52 am
Moriarty
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

I agree, the Stolen Items system is kind of buggy.

When I was collecting flowers for the mage guild quest I got into a little trouble and after paying my fine I discovered that the guard had confiscated my flower samples. I've also gone throgh at least half a dozen robes (and several pairs of pants), the guards keep taking them even one I had just bought.

I had stolen and fenced a lot of things at the begining of the game including a ton of clothes and alchemical components

What I think happens is the system keeps a record of everything you steal and when you pay a fine, or whatever, the list gets compared to your inventory. The game doesn't make any distinction between something you stole and sold on Day 1 and an identical item you might have on you at the moment. So watch out.

Oh yeah, Put this on the list of things to fix on a patch. I'm a ruthless assassin who has to find a tailor every time he executes a writ.
Post Fri May 10, 2002 6:57 am
SandTiger

I dissagree. It is a glitch. At least in my case.

One.. i havnt stolen anything that has Ever been reported. I rarely steal. Thats not true.. i sometimes get bored and save.. then go out and kill mass amounts of people and steal all kinds of junk then reload

Anyway... I was hoping out in the wilderness.. summoning stuff then killing it for their souls.. filled up my soul gems.. skipped about 20 feet.. checked inventory to switch weapons.. BAM.. no more soul gems..

Almost as annoying as the crash to desktop every 3 hours.
Post Fri May 10, 2002 8:55 am

Xanaki
Ghost of Asheron
Ghost of Asheron

By the way, where is the "local law headquarters" in Vivec? If it indeed is true that the items that guards have taken can be found in a chest somewhere then I'd like to find the Vivec HQ and the chest my items are. I have a considerable amount of stuff in there (over 200k .
Post Fri May 10, 2002 9:28 am
Mephisto
Leader of the Senate
Leader of the Senate

No, it is not a glitch. Talk with some npcs, you'll find out some guards are corrupted and take some legit items for themselves
Post Fri May 10, 2002 10:05 am