Usergroups
Morrowind: Are you sure ?
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Morrowind - General

Author Thread
Stiletto
God Emperor
God Emperor

Well it would not take much to make any random dungeon generator a first person 3D one. You just have to have it output in the script format used by a 3D engine. I think the hard part is getting the layout to be fun and entertaining, and not too tedious. Also no surprises like, "what the heck is this doing in the middle here!?! That doesn't make any sense!"

Post Wed Aug 08, 2001 12:16 pm
Rendelius
Critical Error
Critical Error

Don't bet on that - I am still waiting for someone who finds out what a pleasant job it would be to create a 3D version of Angband that really shows off. I think the real problem is to create models for 300+ different monsters *g*

Post Wed Aug 08, 2001 8:06 pm
Stiletto
God Emperor
God Emperor

I said dungeon creator, not game creator. I Just meant the whole random design of a dungeon, less the monsters. Thats a whole other generator!

Post Fri Aug 10, 2001 2:35 am
Rendelius
Critical Error
Critical Error

Angband is based on randomly generated dungeons.
Post Fri Aug 10, 2001 6:00 am
Alfonso (Fonzmeister)(AL)
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

quote:

On 2001-07-21 08:44, Moriendor wrote:
I just noticed in this other thread that They want us to simulate sword combat by moving our mice all over the place just like in Daggerfall.

No their not you spastic
Post Mon Oct 22, 2001 10:26 am
Zorak
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

could you give a brief explanation about the game's plot and how the interface and combat handles? thanks.

Joy's recollection is no longer joy, while sorrow's
memory is sorrow still
~Lord Byron
Post Sun Dec 02, 2001 4:34 am

Actually, it is NOT based on Daggerfall and Battlespire's combat system. If you vahe ever played Jedi Knight, you will notice that Morrowind's combat control works much like that. Your TO HIT and DAMAGE depends on your skill with that particular weapon you would be using. Same goes with blocking. With shield in hand, depending on your blocking skill, you will get a better TO BLOCK chance, which happens automatically. The higher your sword skill, the more you'll land sword blows and the more damage you will do, as goes with the shield. I have been testing for a few weeks now and it turns out that you can get used to this system very fast and will learn to like it.

GT
Post Mon Dec 10, 2001 11:19 pm

yes, and apparantly the shield block animation is reeeally cool. the shield raises, and you'll hear a bang as the opponent hits it, and when the shield goes down you just continue whacking.

anyway, if you haven't played JK, it's like this: you press a movement key and then press attack which means there are 4 different attacks(which means you'll have to stop for a fraction of a sec if you want to perform a stab while moving left). this system sounds very good to me. also, the longer you hold down attack before releasing the harder the blow will be.
Post Tue Dec 11, 2001 9:28 am

Fez
Fearless Paladin
Fearless Paladin

I quite like the sound of daggerfall's combat system, it has to be better than UA's "whack-attack" system which was quite frankly repellant. I remember hours of coma-like states where I industriously attempted to give myself RSI or arthritis. Oh look a wolf *clickclickclickclick*, oh look a bandit *clickclickclickclick*.
Post Thu Dec 13, 2001 4:32 pm
Incindium
Captain of the Guard
Captain of the Guard

I loved Daggerfall... it was just awesome even with the bugs... I'm really looking forward to Morrowind. The developer interviews over on rpgvault really have wet my appetite for this game. One thing I am dissapointed about is that they took away the climbing ability that you had in Daggerfall that allowed you to climb the walls of any structure(Great for a thief)... Although it is understandable given that the climbing ability was very buggy in Daggerfall and it's one less thing to test in an enormous world. I'm really glad that they are spending so much time testing. By thr time the release it should be in pretty good shape I hope
Post Thu Dec 13, 2001 4:54 pm
Seraphim
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Good lord! Not only do the devs answer on the official forum but on other forums also. Thanks GT
Post Sun Dec 16, 2001 8:19 am
Max Killen
Exalted Potentate
Exalted Potentate

quote:

On 2001-07-21 13:26, HiddenX wrote:
i like the daggerfall/battlespire sword combat system -

You are the first and only person that I have ever seen that put "like" "Battlespire" in the same sentence. Usually "Battlespire" is preceded with curse words and followed with "where is my receipt so I can take this piece of crap back to the store."

Post Thu Dec 27, 2001 3:11 pm
Shrapnel
Rocket Scientist
Rocket Scientist

Hey Max, what do ya think about Redspire, be honest, really
Post Wed Feb 13, 2002 5:19 pm
The Hulk
Avenger, Defender
Avenger, Defender

I agree with Rendelius, I liked the combat system in Arena and Daggerfall.
I also liked the sounds that the male and female vampires made in those games. Was very original, scary and cool.
Post Tue Feb 19, 2002 9:04 pm
Dreaga07
Guards Lieutenant
Guards Lieutenant

a combat system like gothic would work nicely for morrowind i think. forward for thrust and sidestep for slash like they say, but not all this mouse-moving-sword-sim-bull.

=Member of The Sixth House=
=Member of The Non-Flamer's Guild=
Post Wed Feb 20, 2002 8:03 pm

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next