Author Thread
gakkie
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

Easy ?

Hi,

I am loving the game, however, there's one thing that bothers more and more:
I am currently at clvl 10, being a fighter/thief nord with aboyt 78 strength
and 72 endurance. I wear a mixture of heavy armor styles and my armor rating is 34. I use a blunt axe doing 40 damage or so.
I've spent my time exploring, taking it slow, doinf a lot of quests for the guilds in Balmora. I now am freshly exploring the area around caldera for the first time (looking for those telvani agents). My characters is allround, having thieving, magic, enchanting skills and such.
The thing that bothers me is combat. it is WAY too easy. Is it me, or is it the game ? I'd like to finish the game vanilla, but as it is now, i would have to resolve to one of those difficulty patches out there.
I can kill bonelords with 2 hits and dremora are no threat either. Will things get harder along the way ???

I sure hope so... because now I am just entering dungeons without fear

TIA
Post Wed May 15, 2002 11:26 pm
OldScho0l74
Village Leader
Village Leader

Me too

With my current character, the combat is a joke. Most things go down in 2 hits. My Longblade is 100, Block is 84, Heavy Armor is 96, Strength is 98, most major-minor stats are in the 90's. Gettin real easy to kill things so I started usin lesser armors and skills to make it more interesting.
Post Thu May 16, 2002 4:29 am
Danicek
The Old One
The Old One

As Rend writes in his review.
If you will focus on "fighter" abilities, you will soon be very strong fighter. But try to do something else. Try some spells, try to sell your goods for big money, and how about your "talking" skills?
I mean, if you are strong fighter, it doesnt mean you are strong character. Strong characters are "complex" characters.
Post Thu May 16, 2002 7:05 am
gakkie
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

Daniceck,

like i said, I've done just THAT! I try to approach the game very much alround. I am not power-gaming, I am not mindlessly walking around waiting for monsters to respawn and kill them.
But I am taking my time, doing a lot of quests (im in the mages, thieves, fighters and blades guilds and haven't touched one of the great houses yet).
I've only been between Seyda Neen, Pelagiad, Balmora en Hla Oad.
I'm just on my way to caldera for the first time. The game's about freedom, and I like it. I also WALK everything, enjoying it, but it seems like I am being punished for doing so. Is it true then that I am only 1/10 through the game and already all monsters are below me ? I sure hope not. Shouldn't I be scared entering tombs ? Should a Bonelord, Clanfear, Dremora not scare the sh*t out of me ? should I at least need a potion or two ?? I can live with rats, crabs being easy, that's what they are ther for, but comon, if even the guards and dremora are easy to kill ????

I hope someone can reassure me saying things get tougher!
Post Thu May 16, 2002 8:58 am
Danicek
The Old One
The Old One

Ok,

I do not have this game yet, so I can not say.
It is probably true that this game is too easy (fights). It seems like this to me because - such a short time and three or more mods that make game more difficult are out.
Post Thu May 16, 2002 9:01 am
gakkie
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

Yes, shame.
I really like to play the game 'vanilla', but as it stands now I have to resort to some mod

I hope someone with some hours in the game can reassure me...
Post Thu May 16, 2002 9:23 am
Rendelius
Critical Error
Critical Error

Believe it or not, Caldera is a beginner area . You third fighter guild quest takes you there. If you need some challenge, go for some daedric ruins.

If you still find combat too easy, have a look at our plugin depot. I think there are at least two mods that change the difficulty. One triples the hit points of the enemies, without changing their attacks. The other one adds at least 3 levels to all ememies.

If you don't want to apply these changes, go into the console and lower the appropriate stats of yours.
Post Thu May 16, 2002 9:33 am
gakkie
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

I know the mods, I just wish i didn't need one.
If Caldera is just the beginning and things are way too easy already....
I've been to two Deadric shrines and had no trouble killing all that came in sight...

As it is now, it seems to me that combat is too easy. Other than that, great game, like the freedom, quests, landscapes, you name it...
Post Thu May 16, 2002 9:48 am
NoMeansNo
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

quote:
Originally posted by Danicek
Ok,

I do not have this game yet, so I can not say.
It is probably true that this game is too easy (fights). It seems like this to me because - such a short time and three or more mods that make game more difficult are out.

Thanks, Danicek, for seeing the light.....or, at least acknowledging that a light *may* exist.

The game is great, the game is fun, the game is awesome for role-playing.....BUT.......there are a growing number of folks who have role-played their characters, NOT powerleveling, NOT 'stats-watching', NOT using exploits or 'cheat's, but all of whom have a hit a ceiling where the creatures needed to fight don't present any kind of challenge.
You roam about the land, you WILL get in fights~~you don't need to search them out to hard to find 'em. And with fights come a rise in combat SKILLS, which leads to a rise in your characters LEVEL and STATS, making it very easy for characters to rise above the lvls' of the highest level monsters. And that can detract from the enjoyment of the game, for roleplayers and powergamers alike.

Other than the usermade mods popping up that addresses the difficulty levels, I'm not sure much more could be officialy done with the existing game ~~~ my main hope/concern/wish is that when Bethesda, in their infinite coolness, starts popping out the free plugins, that at least some of these plugins include new content for high lvl characters. This would be my numero uno choice in dealing with the current difficulty level.

To be clear about another point, for those who have NOT bought the game yet, I would shout out that the issue of difficulty is NOT a showstopper, and that if you're an RPG'er, not trying this game out would be a crime. Coolest game I've played in a very long while...
NMN
Post Thu May 16, 2002 9:55 am
gakkie
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

quote:
Originally posted by NoMeansNo

Ok,
To be clear about another point, for those who have NOT bought the game yet, I would shout out that the issue of difficulty is NOT a showstopper, and that if you're an RPG'er, not trying this game out would be a crime. Coolest game I've played in a very long while...
NMN

I wholeheartily agree
But i still feel the game would be better I monsters would be something to feared, not just some dust to wipe....
Post Thu May 16, 2002 10:00 am
NoMeansNo
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

quote:
Originally posted by gakkie
I know the mods, I just wish i didn't need one.

I think one of the best strengths of Morrowind is the fact that it HAS a way to change the gameplay to what you'd like it to be. Don't be afraid of the plugins, they're your friends......and a big part of what makes MW such a great game, one that'll be around for quite awhile.

nmn
Post Thu May 16, 2002 10:06 am
gakkie
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

True,

on the hand, the game should ALSO be playable without the mods.
And the combat side of things is well, uhmz, say a little bit less good
as the rest of the game. As in no use in being a fighter almost ....

Well, I just installed a mod that reduces experience gained by fighting and toughens the monsters. Most still are weak, but lo and behold, I just got killed by a Vivec guard...hurraaaah
Post Thu May 16, 2002 11:55 am
bman

thoughts...

I think the problem is essentially that there is much more to the game than killing monsters.

As such, if you want to devote a large percentage of your skills to being able to kill things, you become good at it very quickly.

I dunno, I am playing a lvl 8 custom class (enchanter, emphasis on conjuration and illusion) and combat is quite challenging for me. I wear medium armor and fight with a bound dagger also using some buffs.
I walked into some ruins and got killed quickly by some orcs guarding it.. this is on a fairly high level mage guild quest.

Perhaps the structure of the game, which allows you to pretty much explore everywhere in the beginning without to much fear of death, does not allow an easy ramping of difficulty.
Post Thu May 16, 2002 4:43 pm

Delmonte
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

I have only played beginning sections of the game so far and have built a very fast thief type character with a little magic. I have noticed however that it is much easier to gain weapon skill levels than anything else. I think it is essentially true that the game is slightly unbalanced towards fighting skills giving levels. I saw one mod that reduces the chance of gaining weapon advances and does some difficulty tweaks and I am beginning to think that may work a little better for those who wish to immerse themselves in the environment and not glory in how tough they can become.
Post Thu May 16, 2002 5:26 pm
bman

patch

upcoming patch might address this...
Post Thu May 16, 2002 5:45 pm

Goto page 1, 2  Next