Downsides of Dungeon Siege 2
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Dungeon Siege

Author Thread
GokYabguHan
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

Downsides of Dungeon Siege 2

I recently finished DS2 and like the game. It is very lenghty and entertaining. But, there are some downsides in it that really annoys me when i played it. I think, if DS2 do not have these bad sides it couldi easily be a classic for most RPGamer. Please, read it. I am waiting for your comments. (To explain downsides i match the game with first DS)
1) I have played almost every RPG in PC and i can consider myself a veteran. When i have begun new game, i want to play in normal difficulty but DS2 did not allow me to do it. You must finish easy setting to play normal difficulty. I think it is very annoying because easy level is indeed very easy and not very challenging. I played DS1 in normal mode and must have planned my every move to advance in the game. Now, that is what i called ‘fun’. It is not fun to know that you can beat every creature easily.
2) Second and biggest disappointment for me is the respawning of monsters. In first DS, when you killed a monster, you know that it will stay dead throughout the entire game. But you kill a creature in DS2, go to the town and return. Tada! You have a brand new creature just for you to kill. Respawning kills the obsession (every RPGamer know what i mean: i must kill every creature, see everywhere, fulfill every quest) that fuels the player, i think.
3) First DS have Baldurs Gate control system. You can group your party in every way you want. You can pause the game, then give every character different commands. But DS2 confines control on characters. I can not apply most tactics that i used in DS1. But, since the monsters not very challenging only tactic that i used entirely in DS2 is to charge to the monster with all my power.
4) Forex, your level is 15 and you kill a level 22 monster with so much difficulty. What do you expect? The game must reward you extra XP for your deed. But, DS2 don’t do that. On the contrary, it punishes you for doing that and reduces the XP that monster can give you.Dev must have done it to balance the game, but it is so annoying. Combine this with respawning and you killed the excitement.
In short, DS2 have some concrete improvements over DS1 like more complex storyline and characters, biggest world, etc but, also have some important downgrades.
Post Mon Nov 28, 2005 11:28 am
Danicek
The Old One
The Old One

The game is waiting still packed on my shelf. It is waiting for a new computer, so I can enjoy all the eye-candy.

I'll return here with my own comments later.
Post Wed Nov 30, 2005 9:22 am
thartanian
Guards Lieutenant
Guards Lieutenant

I totally agree with you on all those points. I stopped playing the game at the beginning of Act 3. I stopped for two reasons. One, it was getting boring because it was just too easy and just required you to charge into the battle. Second, I dislike desert settings, which make my tongue and eyes dry. Defintely not eye candy. My two cents.
Post Wed Nov 30, 2005 8:02 pm
Sir Markus
Counselor of the King
Counselor of the King

Did you recruit a full party? Why don't you try playing through the game with a single character and a pack mule, and maybe one other character at a time, if you want a challenge.
Post Wed Nov 30, 2005 9:15 pm
Danicek
The Old One
The Old One

quote:
Originally posted by Sir Markus
Did you recruit a full party? Why don't you try playing through the game with a single character and a pack mule, and maybe one other character at a time, if you want a challenge.

Btw, I'm planning to do just that. I'm usually trying to play all games with single character (if possible). I simply need to identify with "my hero" to really get into the game. I can do this much easier with one hero party.
Post Thu Dec 01, 2005 8:27 am
Sir Markus
Counselor of the King
Counselor of the King

There are some NPC specific quests where you HAVE to have that character in the party, so if you want to do all the quests, there may be times where you must have 2 characters. Fortunately the game lets you drop and add characters as needed. Once you drop a character, they just go back to the inn and wait for you if you need them again.
Post Thu Dec 01, 2005 11:34 am
Danicek
The Old One
The Old One

Thanks, that sounds good. I'll likely choose to go this way (single character with temp second character for sidequests).
Post Thu Dec 01, 2005 12:19 pm
Wulf
The Shepherd
The Shepherd

Yet it would be interesting Dani' to see what results you get in defeating the "Dark Wizards" in act-3 with a single hero + pack mule.!!!
Post Fri Dec 02, 2005 1:40 pm
GokYabguHan
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

quote:
Originally posted by Sir Markus

Good idea Marcus. But, i think devs must create most challenging games. They say that it is a marketing problem. Easy games to attract more casual gamers. But, it is not true. Did you play F.E.A.R? This game is very challenging , you must think your strategy before go into the battle. And, it is this challenging that makes the game fun. But, it make great marketing success. GPG said much about monsters' AI before the release of DS2. But, all i see is monsters that makes kamikaze attacks to me. I think i must stop to expect a RPG like BG.
Post Sat Dec 03, 2005 5:50 pm
Danicek
The Old One
The Old One

quote:
Originally posted by Wulf
Yet it would be interesting Dani' to see what results you get in defeating the "Dark Wizards" in act-3 with a single hero + pack mule.!!!

We will see. I'm planning to get my new computer in the end of January. I'll install and play DSII then.
Post Mon Dec 05, 2005 12:28 pm
Wulf
The Shepherd
The Shepherd

@Danicek,

Good luck with the new puter' - be sure to let us know if you complete the "elite" stage with a pack mule.

@GokYabguHan,

Only after completing the game in "mercenary" mode (easy level 0-39) do you get the chance to play the game again in the next higher mode "veteran" mode (normal level 40-69) and only after completing the game in this mode can you ever play the "elite" mode (hard level 70-100) - this final 3rd game is not for the faint hearted.
Did you get as far as this max3 mode? - a worthy challenge from a game for any player.
Post Mon Dec 12, 2005 10:41 am