DX2: how does it tie in?
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > CRPGs General

Author Thread
Scribbles
Unsent
Unsent

DX2: how does it tie in?

does anyone know how Deus Ex 2: Invisible War follow up the original Deus Ex story?

Broken in Exile
Post Sat Nov 08, 2003 7:35 pm
Jaz
Late Night Spook
Late Night Spook

All I know so far is it's playing 15-20 years after DX1. When I was playing a level at the GC, I didn't see the introductory FMV, but I was playing as a female, and I glimpsed you have the choice to play either a male or female Denton clone (you're not JC in this one). And you'll meet some of the old characters.
Post Sat Nov 08, 2003 9:03 pm
Scribbles
Unsent
Unsent

do you know what ending DX2 is based on? im kinda hoping it was the Illuminati one

Broken in Exile
Post Sat Nov 08, 2003 9:34 pm
Dhruin
Stranger In A Strange Land
Stranger In A Strange Land

Believe or not, they're working on the theory that *all three* endings happened. Strange but true.

From an eToychest interview:

quote:
First off, what was the motivation behind having the basis for the game being the assumption that all three endings from the original Deus Ex were executed? Don't they contradict each other to a degree? (e.g. if JC blew up the Aquinas hub, what good would merging with Helios do?)

Couple of things: First, we knew we couldn't let each Deus Ex player start Invisible War from his or her personal endgame choice. Second, we didn't want people to feel their experience in the first game was "wasted." We wanted players to feel like they were in the same universe and that their earlier actions had meaning and significance. Finally, while Deus Ex sold very, very well, there are still (sadly!) a LOT more gamers out there who haven't played the first game than there are players who have... Put all those together and you have a pretty compelling case for the "all three endgames happened" scenario. I suppose we'll annoy some folks with that decision, but it seemed like the right call to all of us.

I don't know what I think about this, myself. I liked the Illuminati ending. Oh, to add to what Jaz said, your character's name is "Alex D".
Post Sat Nov 08, 2003 10:02 pm
Ariel
Harmonious Angel
Harmonious Angel

<XBox Sarcasm Mode>
quote:
First, we knew we couldn't let each Deus Ex player start Invisible War from his or her personal endgame choice.

Oh? Why not? Let me guess.. because there is no way XBox gamers could have an old savegame, right?

quote:
Finally, while Deus Ex sold very, very well, there are still (sadly!) a LOT more gamers out there who haven't played the first game than there are players who have...

Uhm. Who could all these ominous gamers be who have never played Deus Ex before, but are all ears for the sequel? No, don't say anything, I can feel it.. uhhh... XBox gamers?

</XBox Sarcasm Mode>
Post Sat Nov 08, 2003 11:35 pm
InHuMaN
City Guard
City Guard

sorry, but im a PS2 person. all i have to say is...

Post Sun Nov 09, 2003 1:51 am
Jaz
Late Night Spook
Late Night Spook

I'm a console *and* computer person, so I actually don't care about the medium it's released on .
Post Sun Nov 09, 2003 7:33 am
elkston
High Emperor
High Emperor

quote:
Originally posted by Jaz
I'm a console *and* computer person, so I actually don't care about the medium it's released on .

Do you care about graphics resolution?

For example, "Splinter Cell" on the PC reportedly looks much better than the Xbox version (I've only played the PC version, however).
Post Sun Nov 09, 2003 7:55 am
Jaz
Late Night Spook
Late Night Spook

I played both versions and liked both. About DX2, it looked pretty good on console (that was the version I tested at the GC), but I don't doubt it'll look better on a computer. And no, I'm not a looks person , still playing games like Ken's Labyrinth and liking them despite their 1992 graphics (it's not nostalgia since I didn't play Ken's Lab in 1992, played it for the first time in 2003).

What's bugging me most about console shooters are controls (I want my WSAD out of the box), which is why I'll get my Deus Ex for PC, anyway - no matter if I'll get if for Xbox first (money is not a limiting option here since my hubby owns a small games store). For me, consoles are best suited for beat'em ups, Jump'n'runs and Japanese RPGs, but there will be more and more other genres coming to console, that's for sure. The biggest advantage of consoles still are a) transportability, unless your gaming computer is a notebook, and b) hardware affairs - no incompatibilty, you can play a game right out of the box.

I have to admit it's a completely different feeling whether you sit at your desk to play a computer game on a computer screen or lie on the sofa to play the same game on a console and TV set. But actually, I like both ways.
Post Sun Nov 09, 2003 8:18 am