Morrowind Crashing
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Morrowind - General

Author Thread
Zephyr Elvirion
Baron of the Court
Baron of the Court

Morrowind Crashing

Has anyone else had problems with Morrowind crashing?
I've had nothing but problems for the last 4 days. Sometimes the game only runs for 2 minutes Other times it'll run for an hour. One thing I have noticed before it crashes are green 'metalicly kind of threads' or green 'spots'.
I have emailed Bethsoft about the problem and naturally they thought my PC was the problem. I was given a list of things it could be, but I've been able to eliminate all of them.
Has anyone else had similar problems?
Does anyone know what it may be?
Any suggestions as to what Bethsoft and I can do to solve the issue?
A replacement game would be good; however, I'm almost at the end.
Mind you, I have 'Tribunal' so the crashing may continue in that too I'll know soon enough though.
Post Thu May 15, 2003 3:29 pm
Jaz
Late Night Spook
Late Night Spook

The CTD phenomenon is well known. Search the Morrowind General forum for the threads discussing the crashes. Many different solutions have been offered, some of which worked, some of which didn't. I was one of those folks who had to live with the crashes because nothing managed to fix them for more than a day or so.
Post Thu May 15, 2003 4:03 pm
Danicek
The Old One
The Old One

My personal problem with crashing is about overheating.
When there is cold outside and I open my case - there is no crashing, when I close it and there is not cold out there, I have crash after hour or so :].
Post Thu May 15, 2003 6:05 pm
Zephyr Elvirion
Baron of the Court
Baron of the Court

Crashing

It doesn't crash to Desktop (I presume that's what CTD means), it freezes.
It's coming winter here now and I have my central heating on - so it's a constant temperature in my house. I have a case which has an extra fan in it - it's nice n' cool in there
Post Fri May 16, 2003 12:01 am
dteowner
Shoegazer
Shoegazer

Since you're getting unusual visuals prior to the crash, I'd say you're having video driver issues.
RIP Red Wings How 'Bout Dem Cowboys!
Post Fri May 16, 2003 12:07 am
Zephyr Elvirion
Baron of the Court
Baron of the Court

Crashing

I've updated my drivers.
Post Fri May 16, 2003 12:11 am
Beo
Space Defender
Space Defender

What kind of video settings are you running? If you minimize them, does that help?
Post Fri May 16, 2003 1:48 am
Zephyr Elvirion
Baron of the Court
Baron of the Court

Crashing

Not made any difference.
I've really stuffed it now, I think. Bethsoft told me to uninstall and reinstall - which I'd done already a couple of times - but to save my save games folder and then replace it when I reinstall. Trouble is I must've done something wrong 'coz I have the saved games file ok, but now I can't put it back in the game
Actually, I could'nt figure out how to copy the file (well where the copies went) so I just dragged it from the game to 'my docs' and now I can't drag it back as there doesn't appear to be a 'data files' folder any longer. There's only 'CS Insall' and 'video' files instead of a list of the things there used to be.
Post Fri May 16, 2003 6:17 am
Zephyr Elvirion
Baron of the Court
Baron of the Court

Crashing

Nope; got it sussed
Just shows you what absolutely no computer knowldege but a whole lot of persistance can achieve, lol.
Post Fri May 16, 2003 8:25 am
taranpoet
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

crashing

Have had Morrowind since it came out. Hasn't played for more than a few moments yet without crashing/freezing with a black screen of nothingness, requiring to literally turnoff my computer to reset it. ALL drivers and updates installed, and works fine, for all my software and hardware except morrowind. I have an Athlon XP 1800+, GeForce 4 MMX 64meg video card, 256ram. Running Windows XP, all updates installed. ALL the latest drivers installed, working properly, no problems with any other software. Any suggestions? Thanks
Post Mon May 26, 2003 5:08 pm