Fallout, I wish I had never played thee
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Fallout

Author Thread
poindexter1985
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Fallout, I wish I had never played thee

Once upon a time, I loved RPGs. I loved every single last one I played, be it Final Fantasy on console, Vampire, or action-rpgs like Diablo, I loved them all.

Then I played Fallout (actually, Fallout 2 was first). Nowadays every RPG I play gets dragged down by my thoughts that Fallout was better. Every second I play I'm wishing it was Fallout instead, but alas, I think I've done all there is to do in Fallout and done it all five times over. I can't even touch FF-style console RPGs anymore. I had high hopes the Baldur's Gate games could live up, but they didn't. Morrowind was so close yet so very far away.

I don't know if all the fun had from Fallout 1/2 is worth all the fun taken away from other RPGs.

I picked up a second-hand copy of Planescape: Torment I saw at the EB the other day. Once again I have high hopes that it can live up to its BIS brother, but we'll see.
Post Tue Jan 06, 2004 12:39 pm
Secret Agent Lawanda
The last thing you see...
The last thing you see...

Perhaps you should take a break? I used to love racing games on my console, but then I just got overloaded on them. I didn't play one for about 2 years. Then on a whim I picked up Crash Bandicoot Team Racing and had a ball with it. Sometimes you need to play some games from a completely different genre in order to remember old loves.
Post Tue Jan 06, 2004 8:09 pm
Dhruin
Stranger In A Strange Land
Stranger In A Strange Land

PS:T probably has more differences than similarities to Fallout. It's certainly more linear and the D&D system offers less freedom than SPECIAL...but the strong narrative, NPCs and unique settings set PS:T apart from other D&D games. It's a classic - but in a very different way to Fallout.
Post Tue Jan 06, 2004 9:00 pm
Val
Risen From Ashes
Risen From Ashes

PS:T is a great game. But it is vastly different from Fallout. It's like comparing apples and oranges.
Post Wed Jan 07, 2004 1:17 am
poindexter1985
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

quote:
Originally posted by Secret Agent Lawanda
Sometimes you need to play some games from a completely different genre in order to remember old loves.

Oh I do. I'm currently half way through Jedi Outcast, Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time, and playing Shogun: Total War on my laptop.

I've also got a copy of Birthright: The Gorgon's Alliance coming from eBay. That was one crappy game, but for some reason I liked it.

I'm actually more of a movie person than gaming person, despite what this thread may lead you to believe.
Post Wed Jan 07, 2004 4:17 am
the mighty stamar
High Emperor
High Emperor

Those two games( pst and fallout) are similar in that they were made by uncommonly creative people.
Someone involved wanted to write a book.

Fallout is more humorous.
Post Thu Jan 08, 2004 5:12 am
Cryptor69
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

;)

Out of desperation I reached for Arcanum : of Steamworks & Magic Obscura, and was rather nicely suprised. Not that you can find the humor of Fallout in this or any other game, but it is similar in many ways, including the general feel of in-game grafix.

Check out my current screenshots if you are interested http://www.tube-puppy.com/galleries/categories.php?cat_id=60

Hope you like it.
Post Fri Jan 09, 2004 10:02 am
Arma
Mysterious Lady
Mysterious Lady

Aaah, yes. Another person charmed by the fabulous Arcanum.
Post Mon Jan 12, 2004 12:00 pm
Thuron
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Fallout

Fallout is the game to play Arcanum is good too but if you really dont mind try out the game "planescape torment" I think tis is still the game to beat concerning atmosphere originality and humor- Knights of the old republic actually stole quiet a bit of that storyline...TRY IT !!!
Post Mon Jan 12, 2004 5:08 pm
Cryptor69
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

;)

Yes, just so happen that I played Torment. That is a very neat game too. But I have to say that..well... I miss the humor of Fallout games and every time I play something that tries t be funny it looks stupid to me. I recently bought Fallout : Tactics and I hope this game will keep me alive untill one day we hear some news about another fallout game. I even read up on the upcoming console game and "Fall". Neither one looks too bad to me, the console one came through the usuall console transformation ie: less thinking and more purdy grafix, overall it might even be fun. Not that I'll ever know 'couse I don't have the x-box. Hmm I knew there was some kind of a question that I wanted to reply to when I started writing this but as usuall I drifted away. Hey, come to think of it, I have a Question of my own :

*This question is only for those who played & liked Fallout games.

What do the mutants like to play ? Those strange creatures with unexplainable desire for turn based combat and non-3D grafix.

Arcanum : This game IMHO comes the closest to Fallout, mix of Magic & Technology is just cool ( not to mention the turn based combat ).

Torment : Cool as well, perhaps just a tad too hard in some places, or meybe I just never played it enough.

Fallout - Tactics : Well I duno, but I bought it and I'am abou tto play it after I finish Arcanum.

Dungeon Master : The greatest dungeon hack ever, just had to put it here. YAy ATARI ST times

Neverwinter Nights : Great interface, pretty cool game if not slightly too cartoonish IMHO.

Empire Earth : This game is so good that i became a big fan.

Everything made by The Bitmap Brothers !!!!!!!!!!!!! ( Magic Pockets !! Gods !! Xenon !!!Speedball 2 Brutal Deluxe OH MAN THIS GAME IS GOOD !!!!! )

What was I talking about ? Anyways, what do you guys like to play ( beside Fallout ?

PS: Check out my Arcanum & Neverwinter screenshot gallery :

http://www.tube-puppy.com/galleries/categories.php?cat_id=58
Post Tue Jan 13, 2004 1:29 pm