Dragon Age: Forum Highlights @ Neverwinter Vault
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > News Comments

Author Thread
Kristophe
Obi-Wan Kermobi
Obi-Wan Kermobi

Dragon Age: Forum Highlights @ Neverwinter Vault

Once again, Maximus from the Neverwinter Vault has the latest <a href="http://cgi.nwvault.ign.com/dragonage/" target="_blank">installment</a> of their Dragon Age Forum Highlights posted - this one featuring BioWare notables Derek French, Georg Zoeller, and Brenon Holmes... <br> <br><blockquote><em>NPC Schedules <br>I don't think that mandantory eating, drinking and trips to the bathroom will ever make it into a BioWare game, there is something disturbingly annoying about these "features". <br> <br>Since U7 was brought up - which is one of my favourite games - I always thought that the "feeding simulation" parts of this game was a low point in game design, it was annoying as hell and didn't add anything (well, except for the annoyance factor) to the game experience. <br> <br>If I want to feed people, I'd rather pick The Sims or The Sims 2 for that. RPGs (at least the ones we make) are about heroic deeds, villains, heroes, magic and adventure, not about simulationg "the perils of daily routine of a person who happens to stumble into a fantasy world".</em></blockquote>
Post Wed Oct 27, 2004 5:04 am
Drakton
Captain of the Guard
Captain of the Guard

Agreed! I think one thing is 'realism' and another is 'detail' . Some people claim that CRPG's should be 'realistic': ... but how realistic is having you in charge of saving the world (or the Universe), by means of fighting with a sword and casting fireballs agains trolls, goblins and living skeletons...? and then they want realism as in having to eat, earn money, realistic weather, realistic NPCs, and what else? do you want your character having to shave and bath everyday otherwise NPCs will not be so eager to talk to you and so you will miss half of the quests of the game? or what about being in the middle of a dungeon surrounded by giant snakes and all of a sudden your character feels the urge to evacuate his bowels? and you have to get rid of your full plate armor to take a poop?... Thanks but no, thank you. I have enough realism in my everyday life to cope with more 'realism' in the games. I don't even like to have to get money to buy stuff in my games. That's my main concern in my real life!!! Make the games as un-realistic as possible.!!!
Post Wed Oct 27, 2004 5:19 am
Priest4hire
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

quote:
Make the games as un-realistic as possible.!!!

Have you thought this through to its logical conclusion?

Grammaton Dragon
-==(UDIC)==-
Post Wed Oct 27, 2004 5:34 am
Lucky Day

The problem with food in U7 is the way they implemented it. It was poor in akalebeth and not so great in Ultima I.

Ultima 3 and 4 it was well done. It added a factor to your game to keep an eye on. It is realistic even if its merely represented.

Rations were an important part of PnP at the time as well.

There are some good hunger and even thirst scripts available for NWN including the built in one in NWN.

It frustrates me, and quite a few PC's I would bet, is there are no bathrooms in games. That's why I've built them into my NWN mod.
Post Wed Oct 27, 2004 6:15 am

happyjoe

quote:
I think one thing is 'realism' and another is 'detail' . Some people claim that CRPG's should be 'realistic': ... but how realistic is having you in charge of saving the world (or the Universe), by means of fighting with a sword and casting fireballs agains trolls, goblins and living skeletons...? and then they want realism as in having to eat, earn money, realistic weather, realistic NPCs, and what else?

How realistic is charging into a battle with a fireball coming out your fingers? Not very realistic I'll admit. However, you're trying to portray an alternative world which still has people and teems with life. Seems kinda pointless to spend copious amounts of time making someone looks lifelike or have lifelike speech, then have the NPC's sitting about looking at the same wall for the during of the game.

I think having to have food rations for your party adds depth. I think that having to pick when they go to the toilet is mundane. I think that manually feeding your people may be a little monotonous, depending on how it's implemented.

Lucky Day: Can you tell me how food was implemented in U3 & U4? Never played anything prior to U7.
Post Wed Oct 27, 2004 11:13 am

Drakton
Captain of the Guard
Captain of the Guard

quote:
Originally posted by happyjoe

How realistic is charging into a battle with a fireball coming out your fingers? Not very realistic I'll admit. However, you're trying to portray an alternative world which still has people and teems with life. Seems kinda pointless to spend copious amounts of time making someone looks lifelike or have lifelike speech, then have the NPC's sitting about looking at the same wall for the during of the game.

My point precisely. Having people go about their own business and agendas is detail. I refer to realism when in a game you are forced to do the stuff that you normally do in your real life. The Sims are realistic; Morrowind isn't. Even if it has night and day cycles and weather changes: you look up and there's two moons and the NPCs are Argonians and whatever else. Yes, the water LOOKS very realistic. And you can have very realistic looking people and realistic looking landscapes, but then, this realism refers to how the game looks; not how the world behaves.
Post Wed Oct 27, 2004 1:56 pm