The only game I have ever returned
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Gothic 2 - Troubleshooting

Author Thread
alarinn
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

The only game I have ever returned

I played Gothic I and loved it, even with all of the crashes. At least I could install the damn game. I wait several years for Gothic II and I can't even install it! I've tried all suggestions, from cleaning my cds to burning them and using the burned copies. Nada.

No way will I tweak my pc to install a game. Do I have the letter 'L' on my forehead? No I don't, so don't expect me to screw up all of my other games just so I might be able to install Gothic II. PC Gamer will rate this game as the 'All Time Worst Game' if they have to go throught his crap. No way can you blame the user for not being able to install a game.

How in the world did this ever get through QA? Oh wait, the development team did the QA, so I can see why they didn't try to install the game from scratch. You'd think after the fiasco of the first game, that this game would make even Blizzard proud. Not! I can't remember a game that couldn't install. It's not the disks since my burner read all 3 discs perfectly. Not even one read error. The errors are all random, sometimes on cd 1, usually on cd 2, but I never made it to cd 3. Two different drives and same thing. At that point, since I use an installer to get my software installed by the super-secret operations, I knew it wasn't the cds or my drive, but the developer who didn't test the burning process. Did they once even try to install on a pc with an English configuration?

Well, I'll be taking back this pile of dung and getting LOTR: Return of the King. I hear good things about that game.....and the install is perfect.
Post Wed Nov 05, 2003 1:42 am
Gorath
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

I understand you´re disappointed, but why do post this _here_? Better would be the JoWooD board or a mail to Piranha Bytes or Atari. No developer will ever read it here.

btw., most developers have no QA department because it has to be paid between the product releases (every 12 - 24 months). QA is the publisher´s job.
Post Wed Nov 05, 2003 5:37 am
alarinn
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

I did post on their site. I'm just venting It's annoying that one game can be so stressful and I haven't even played it yet.
Post Thu Nov 06, 2003 12:23 am
OhBrandi
The Pun-Slayer
The Pun-Slayer

Actually, it is important to hear the other side. Many folks will deliberately overlook the downside of a game because they like it so much. Others are showing how far a bad design can go, in their book, before it's too much. We had similar issues with Morrowind.

Personally, I read the forums of new games before I buy it. If folks like alarinn didn't post their views, I'd feel really cheated if I bought the game and had as many difficulties.

With Morrowind, I wanted to play so badly that I did tweak my pc. I tweaked, and tweaked, and tweaked. Then I upgraded it and tweaked some more. Not sure I'm ready to do that again and there is no where in my area to return an opened game, useless or not.

=Member of The Nonflamers' Guild=
=Neverwinter Nights Co-Moderator=
Post Sat Nov 08, 2003 11:50 am
Ninthletter
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Alrrin,

I am so with you on this. I can install the game but, I can't play the game. My .exe file is invalid. WTF! Oh, and I have already twicked until I'm blue in the face. Can't take it back either.

Oh, and when I sent an e-mail to JoWood (the only english speaking place) they sent me a form e-mail back with a link to a set of generic fixes that had nothing to do with the problem that I took such great to detail for them.

I've just about had it.

One things for sure, I'll never buy another game that has anything to do with these guys and you can bet my friends are going to hear all about it.
Post Tue Apr 06, 2004 5:44 am
Wulf
The Shepherd
The Shepherd

There is simply nothing "wrong" with the game, it runs on my machine spot on.
the games load in 8 seconds, i am very pleased with the game, so are thousands of others, pc-machine specifications are progressing month by month, even as we speak, following that, game writers have to go with the flow of technology, they simply cannot hold back and write games for ols spec machines or i would still have my "intel 486 dx2-66"

Venting your anger is o.k by me, i would personally help anyone with correcting faults with pc-machines but its virtually impossible over the "net"

Post Tue Apr 06, 2004 8:49 pm
f14dude
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

quote:
Originally posted by Wulf
There is simply nothing "wrong" with the game, it runs on my machine spot on.
the games load in 8 seconds, i am very pleased with the game, so are thousands of others, pc-machine specifications are progressing month by month, even as we speak, following that, game writers have to go with the flow of technology, they simply cannot hold back and write games for ols spec machines or i would still have my "intel 486 dx2-66"

Venting your anger is o.k by me, i would personally help anyone with correcting faults with pc-machines but its virtually impossible over the "net"

Ah, the author of the post is having problem INSTALLING the game since he can't successfully install the game into his system without getting random errors. There is nothing he posted indicated that Gothic II should be created with using different technology or arguing about the engine of the game at all. I think he should've exchange for another copy of the game and see how it goes. Perhaps his copy of the game is a bad burn. I have brought my copy of the game recently (can't beat it for $15) and after installing it, I haven't touch it at all so I can't comment on the game but I heard it is pretty buggy and still not a patch from the maker. Oh well, I guess I'll go back to KOTOR for the time being.

Later!
Post Mon Jun 07, 2004 7:35 pm
Wulf
The Shepherd
The Shepherd

I can sympathise with anyone who has problems like this (installing) but there is a limit on how low a machine spec' you can get to work o.k.

I had *NO* bugs in my game, it ran smooth right to the end, so why do i have no problem, those with some knowledge of pc machines will know that going lower with machine specs' "induces" problems/errors, (generally)

I regularly upgrade/renew my machine because i'm an out and out gamer and i know iv'e GOT TO upgrade, or stay in the "dark ages"

When Gothic 3 comes on the market how many people will write threads/topics
on "bugs" "game won't start" "can't install" how would you answer to them?
G3 will definately require some "clout" to run, i have no doubt that some people will try to run it on their "office-machines"
Post Mon Jun 07, 2004 8:06 pm
Chekote
Where’s my Banana?!?!
Where’s my Banana?!?!

You are assuming an awful lot about his situation...

I remember having similar problems myself, and I have a very up to date PC, I also do regular maintenance and update the drivers every few weeks.

I did eventualy get it to install, but I didnt do anything special to fix it, after so many tries it just installed.
Post Mon Jun 07, 2004 8:46 pm
Wulf
The Shepherd
The Shepherd

So how do you explain that i have never had any problems?
Post Mon Jun 07, 2004 9:19 pm
Chekote
Where’s my Banana?!?!
Where’s my Banana?!?!

Just because you dont have any problems doesnt mean everyone else who does have a problem has a crappy PC.
Post Mon Jun 07, 2004 9:21 pm
Wulf
The Shepherd
The Shepherd

Thats true, i suppose i'm just lucky.
Post Mon Jun 07, 2004 9:36 pm
Gorath
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

Some general thoughts.
That somebody does have problems with a game is no proof the game caused the trouble. I´m pretty sure at least 90% of all stability and compatibility issues have the responsible person sitting in front of the monitor or working at a PC manufacturer´s.
Just think about how many different reasons a simple crash with a reference to a random memory address can have.
Post Mon Jun 07, 2004 9:55 pm
[PB]Nico
Keeper of the Bugs
Keeper of the Bugs

quote:
Originally posted by Gorath
No developer will ever read it here.
Even if...
We cannot provide help for installer related problems, sorry.

I wish we could, but...
Post Mon Jun 07, 2004 10:00 pm
Chekote
Where’s my Banana?!?!
Where’s my Banana?!?!

quote:
Originally posted by Gorath
Some general thoughts.
That somebody does have problems with a game is no proof the game caused the trouble. I´m pretty sure at least 90% of all stability and compatibility issues have the responsible person sitting in front of the monitor or working at a PC manufacturer´s.
Just think about how many different reasons a simple crash with a reference to a random memory address can have.

Usualy its a combination of both.

There is also the third possiblity that its neither the Software Developers fault, OR the user, and that its caused by a third party such as a bug in a hardware Driver (That has not yet been resolved) or something the great M$ has done.

In my personal experience, it is usualy 75% driver problems, 24% software problems & 1% user error. But thats just me, and maintaining PC's is part of my job.

Maybe with less computer literate people you could blame more on user error. But I think most people here are reasonably computer literate anyways.

And there is no denying that Gothic does have its fair share of bugs, no matter how much of an amazing game it is...
Post Mon Jun 07, 2004 10:16 pm

Goto page 1, 2  Next