Screenshots
   Videos

Miscellaneous
   Staff Members
   Privacy Statement

FAQ
Members
Usergroups
Which one will push the MMRPG boundaries?
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > MMORPGs General

Which one will push the MMRPG boundaries?
World of Warcraft
4%
 4%  [ 1 ]
Horizons
19%
 19%  [ 4 ]
Middle Earth
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Everquest 2
9%
 9%  [ 2 ]
Dragon Empires
4%
 4%  [ 1 ]
Darkfall
23%
 23%  [ 5 ]
City of Heroes
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Wish
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Ultima X
9%
 9%  [ 2 ]
Dangeon & Dragons
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Warhammer Online
4%
 4%  [ 1 ]
Ryzom
4%
 4%  [ 1 ]
Lineage 2
9%
 9%  [ 2 ]
Dark and Light
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Neocron
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Mythica
9%
 9%  [ 2 ]
Ages of Athiria
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Populopolis
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Atriarch
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Pirates of the Burning Sea
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 21

Author Thread
Kiff
Protector of the Realm
Protector of the Realm

IRT decaying skills, its is kinda a good idea. Because even in real life, your skills decay, but in a game, even for the immersion factor, I still don't like that...ecspecially when you work for 3 hours for one point and just because you don't use that skill for a few hours of online play you lose it. Naa IMO, decaying skills is just bad.
Post Mon Sep 22, 2003 8:13 pm
Ammon777
Warrior for Heaven
Warrior for Heaven

You can rationalize it all you want for real-life reasons, but this is a gameworld we're talking about, and decaying skills are a bad gameplay feature. I dont want to devote my time to slowly raise a character's skills if they will slowly decrease when i want to focus on something else. Maybe RoT has its reasons, such as end-game high skill dominance, but i still think its a stupid feature. You wont catch me playing RoT because of it....

Post Mon Sep 22, 2003 8:35 pm
Ligi
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

The game list above cant be changed after votes has started. But if I could, I would also add some present MMRPGs.

EQ just pushed a boundarie making instance zones with the LDoN expansion.

As someone already said, the MMRPG genre cant be divorced with the single player genre. EQ just made a step forward to close the gap between both.

Another very good point made on this thread is about making huge and fancy gameworlds without game content. And that mistake reminds me SWG. Dont get me wrong, that game, in the future, still could be deep and have lots of content.(on a side note, when EQ was released it had much more content then SWG, and those were diferent times when the MMRPG did the first steps)

When I start to play a MMRPG I want to see lots of content, enough to keep me busy for long time, also I want to have the feeling that my character cant be "ubber" in a matter of weeks or a couple of months. In other words , players should never ask themselves: "now what?".

But it doesnt mean that Devs should just toss a carrot and be happy with it, When Devs add content (be it expansions or patches) they should always think about ALL genres of costumers they have (powerplayer, regular and people who cant login more then 2 or 3 hours).

If all those costumers can login, play, logout and have a feeling of acomplishment then the game is deep, fun and doesnt lack content.

Its just not enough to make a good looking sandbox, that sandbox must be deep and misterious also.
Post Wed Oct 01, 2003 2:53 pm
Ekim
Eagle's Shadow
Eagle's Shadow

quote:
Originally posted by Ligi
EQ just pushed a boundarie making instance zones with the LDoN expansion.

Please explain to me what "instance zones" are, and why they are revolutionary enough to "push the boundaries". (don't get me wrong, not trying to critizise here at all - I just don't follow EQ, and I'm looking for insight).

quote:
As someone already said, the MMRPG genre cant be divorced with the single player genre.

I probably missed that one. I don't know who said it first, but I don't agree, not all the way. MMO's can seriously be divorced from single-player games as far as grouping goes. I know that a lot of people (myself included) enjoy soloing in MMO's, and that's where they will want to bridge the gap with SP games. But on the whole, I don't think I've ever played an MMO like I play SP games of whichever genre, even while soloing. And that's a good thing, in my humble opinion.

quote:
Another very good point made on this thread is about making huge and fancy gameworlds without game content. And that mistake reminds me SWG.

I will just say this about content: content takes many many forms. I don't want to argue about SWG lacking content. It does lack a certain type of content. The static kind. But in another way, SWG has more content than many other games out there. Problem is that most people define content as the static kind, and on that front SWG is seriously lacking I'll give you that! But be careful in saying anything about content because what you consider to be a lot of content might not be enough to someone else. DAoC was chock full of static content. But as far as character advancement (another form of content), or role-playing content (emotes, items used for no other reason than display, etc) it was seriously lacking. I'm sure every single game out there is lacking in some way.

quote:
When I start to play a MMRPG I want to see lots of content, enough to keep me busy for long time, also I want to have the feeling that my character cant be "ubber" in a matter of weeks or a couple of months. In other words , players should never ask themselves: "now what?".

Players will always ask themselves "Now what?" You seem to take abstraction from the Leet players, those who reach the top level after 2 weeks, who have the best loot, who have been everywhere, done everything after a month... or two. No matter how much content you put in there, there will always be people that do everything before everyone else. We have to face the fact that there are people out there that just play too much of these games. The player that finishes a single-player RPG within a week will have gone through everything in an MMO within a month.

Also, the problem isn't so much about asking "Now what?" as much as it is about providing an answer to that question. The key in most cases is to balance the activities that you undertake as a player. But most people go about things in a "grinding" manner. In other words, people will tend to grind through getting to level 50 first, and only once that's achieved will go out looking for that big loot, and only when that's achieved (if he's not bored yet) will start grinding out his crafting skills. If that player mixed everything up a little, he wouldn't be so burnt out once he starts grinding his crafting skills, and he might not even start to complain about the lack of content already:wink: I think that there's a lot to say about the way we play MMO's before we start asking ourselves if the level of content is adequate.

quote:
When Devs add content (be it expansions or patches) they should always think about ALL genres of costumers they have (powerplayer, regular and people who cant login more then 2 or 3 hours).

Again, you have to be careful here. We don't live in a happy little world where evryone gets along with everyone else, unfortunately. If you implement content for casual players, the power-gamers will instantly pick up on that and use it as an advantage to go up even faster. You will then be left with an angry bunch of casual gamers who complain that the power-gamers are cheating, and a bunch of powergamers that complain that everything is too easy, or not challenging enough, or that there's not enough content

Last year I was active in DAoC's community when there was talk of a casual server. Now there's a perfect example of wishful thinking. Somehow there are people out there that honestly think that a casual server would only be played by casual gamers. In fact, power gamers would love to log on to a casual server where they could level faster. Oh, sure their playing time would be limited, but the amount of things they could do in 5 hours of play per week is exponentially much greater than a casual player can ever do. Hence, you would end up with a casual server with a bunch of level 25 casual gamers and an elite of power-gamers that are level 50 and would have loads of cash on them, still ruling the day.

I'm not sure what the genre needs, to be honest... It's being played by varying types of players that all want very different things, and I wonder if we'll really ever get everything we want. I'm just content if I can log on and have fun while I'm there, but I recognize that my idea of what fun is might be very different from everyone else's. I'm having fun in SWG, and I had fun in DAoC. Sometimes I wonder why other people don't, but that's life!
Post Wed Oct 01, 2003 3:47 pm
Guybrush Threepwood
High Emperor
High Emperor

I've never heard of half these games. On the note of powergamers and casual players I really wouldn't know what to call myself. When I have lots of time I get immersed in the MMORPG and lose track of time. However I never come out with an uber leet char. I dunno....I guess I really don't pay attention to the leet chars and just do my own thing and don't get too annoyed with powerful chars. I can see where it'd be a problem in a PvP game but I generally don't play those games as I suck at fast paced PvP. I choke up and can't think quickly enough.
Post Thu Oct 02, 2003 10:02 am
Ekim
Eagle's Shadow
Eagle's Shadow

quote:
Originally posted by Guybrush Threepwood
I've never heard of half these games. On the note of powergamers and casual players I really wouldn't know what to call myself. When I have lots of time I get immersed in the MMORPG and lose track of time. However I never come out with an uber leet char. I dunno....

I think that a "scientific" categorization of players would be close to what follows:

Less than 10hours of play time/week = Casual Gamer
10-20hours of play time/week = Average Gamer
30+ hours of play time/week = Power Gamer

Consider that 40 hours of game playing time is A LOT!! I consider myself an Average gamer, and I never finished a 40hour RPG in a week (or even 2!), although there have been people who have done it. Those are power gamers.
Post Thu Oct 02, 2003 3:58 pm
Yokom
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

I know Jumpgate has been out for along time but did it just get skipped as the game that still is pushing limits.

It has truely skill based combat in a mmrpg setting and its not akward at all.

It is in space true but does that limit it from rpg.

There is not one game that has the flight engine done anywhere close to JG. Eve Enb even planetside has a crap flight modle next to JG.

I think Jumpgate pushed the limits on mmrpg and no one noticed due to marketing errors mainly lack of.

I have high hopes for the blizzard WoW, ive played almost everything they have made for almost ten years now.

DarkFall looks good who knows if the hype will match.

Neocron lol Neo crash now crash later same same
Post Sat Oct 04, 2003 10:52 am

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4