The Grey Man Secret - Cheat/Spoiler
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Arx Fatalis

Author Thread
Zing
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

The Grey Man Secret - Cheat/Spoiler

First, I apologize if this has already been posted; I searched best I could and did not find anything.

Second, if I use the wrong terminology, I again apologize. It's been a bit since I got through the game.

To do this trick, you will need
A character with high stealth, object knowledge, and ranged weapons (I believe my character was at level 6 or 7). You will also need Poxellisus's helm, poison, and a bow with plenty of arrows.

The grey man is located in the snake women's temple of initiation, in the corridor just before the room with all of the switches (If I remember right). Normally, as soon as you enter the hall, you will see a mostly invisible entity scurry along before you can catch up to him. Normally, you cannot. However, I discovered that , not only can you attack him, but he will occasionally attack you as well!

As soon as you find him, go back to a previous save. From this state, sneak to the corridor where he is located, though stop just as soon as you can see him. With luck, he will not detect you or move. Poison your active arrow quiver and start firing. I cannot say for sure that you need poison, but it may be that he does not take damage from normal attacks. At any rate, it will take quite a long time for him to "die".

I say "die" because he never goes away. However, you will notice when he has regenerated; you probably will advance at least two levels. Seriously, this guy gives off a ton of experience points. As an added bonus, you can do this as many times as you like. Feel free to easily get up to level ten.

I have managed to do this several times, though it was a tedious process to get it all correct and have him not notice me. And yes, though it was VERY rare, he did attack me. This wasn't so great, however, as he is invicible and doesn't go away. I think I managed to get him stuck in a corner, fortunately.

At any rate, has this been done before? Or are there more efficient ways of doing it?
Post Wed Jan 26, 2005 5:25 am
Cm
Sentinel of Light
Sentinel of Light

First of all, Welcome to the Dot.

This is a new one as far as I know. No one has ever mentioned it here to my knowledge. Good one too. I never had stealth high enough at that point in game to sneak up on him before the triggered fight later. May have to load up the game and try this one.
Mark Twain
Post Thu Jan 27, 2005 12:28 am
UnFrSaKn
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Shadow Man

You mean this guy? I tried killing him with poison arrows but to no avail. It's really creepy the first time you see him, like a ghost and then disappears. But when I turned the corner this time, and stopped, he came back and tried to get through the portcullis. He does cough etc like a normal NPC.

http://www.freewebs.com/unfrsakn/shadowman02.jpg
Post Sun Feb 20, 2005 4:56 am
balconygolf_ThE_bRiDe
Alien Dwarf
Alien Dwarf

Oh great thats another way to reach level 10.I alwyas thought that this ghost man was the same ghost that attacks you later on at the room that is supposed to be a mirror and never give attention to further investigate whats really going on.Thats to peaty though I have deleted my saves from my thief character.Now I am playing as a mage but I can still get my stealth very high using the stealth armor , the assassin dagger and some rings.But the main question is this: if I cast a spell to kill him I think that he can detect me and run away cause the light from the spell casting will reveal me hiding in the shadows.Or should I try first a high spell like time freeze or paralisis in order to stop him from moving and exam him from close and see if he can take physical damage from sword and stuff?I dont know the range of this spells work?
Also I have another idea for you that you are a ranger.Have you tried to combine your arrows with a heart golem?The heart golem adds paralisis and maybe you can immobilize him.
I am looking forword to go to the Nagas territory.Thanks for the tip.I can say that none have posted anything like this nor at the jowood forums.
Post Mon Feb 21, 2005 3:13 pm
Zing
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Re: Shadow Man

quote:
Originally posted by UnFrSaKn
You mean this guy? I tried killing him with poison arrows but to no avail. It's really creepy the first time you see him, like a ghost and then disappears. But when I turned the corner this time, and stopped, he came back and tried to get through the portcullis. He does cough etc like a normal NPC.

http://www.freewebs.com/unfrsakn/shadowman02.jpg

That is exactly what he looks like, but I remember for sure that you do not have to go through a portcullis. And you do have to shoot him a lot. Hard. In the head.

Man, I need to find some time to play through the game again so I can put more detail in his description. Maybe tonight.
Post Fri Feb 25, 2005 9:32 pm
Acleacius
King of the Realms
King of the Realms

I was able to confirem this, as soon as you cast Reveal to show the correct switch in the room you shoot the Sword where it meets the Gold, is the correct room to encounter this Grey Man.
As you walk out of the room to the hall do NOT actually go around the corner as he will leave.
As you sidestep/strafe slowly pass the edge of the wall to see him at the other end of the hall.
I tried several Fireballs with no luck, only Poison (as stated) works.
I went from 6th level with about 41K exp to 10th level 280K exp
It took almost a full minute for the points to roll the counter that high, he reappears once the exp meter stops.

Thanks for this tip
Post Sun Mar 20, 2005 10:55 pm
balconygolf_ThE_bRiDe
Alien Dwarf
Alien Dwarf

I cant kill that gray man.I have tried everything.Once I managed to make him attack me.He was chasing me all around the eduearnaum territory.At the end he always managed to kill me with punches .I have tried like 300 arrows most of them poisoned.But still I cant kill him.I see he is bleeding when the arrow hits him and he turns green but even 300 arrows arent enought to kill him.I also put on the stealth suit to attack from stealth mode so many shoots had both critical and backstab bonus.Still no luck.
Post Tue Apr 05, 2005 11:33 am
Eldeath
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

I can also confirm - he's there, I shot him a few times, and he gave me tons of exp points. However, he didn't go away at all - when I got the exp he was still there and still alive and even still poisoned. The only way I could catch up to him was to use both slow time and speed. After a bit of running away, he started trying to kill me, and since he appears to be invincible, he pretty well succeeded. I got him stuck in one of the magic force-field things and tried to do all sorts of stuff, like confusing him. You can't pickpocket him, you can't kill him, NPCs won't target him, and he disappears when you get to the bit of the test where you have to fight him.
Post Sun May 22, 2005 8:06 am
ermac
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Ooo.That's really a new one.Never knew about it 10x Zing!
Post Tue May 31, 2005 7:27 pm
RPG Frog
Blade Runner
Blade Runner

Great find Zing! I'll have to try this as I have never reached level 10.
Between the years when the oceans drank Atlantis and the gleaming cities…there was an Age undreamed of, when shining kingdoms lay spread across the world like blue mantles beneath the stars…Hither came Conan, the Cimmerian, black-haired, sullen-eyed, sword in hand…to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandaled feet. - Robert E. Howard
Post Wed Jun 01, 2005 4:10 pm
ermac
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

You gots to be kiddin...
You are not.Hmmm.Have you ever killed every living thing arx?(except the humans)Have you finished all quests and sidequests?Have u summoned the golder rat and the golden Ylside.The give loads of XP !
Post Wed Jun 01, 2005 5:09 pm
ermac
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

You gots to be kiddin...
You are not.Hmmm.Have you ever killed every living thing arx?(except the humans)Have you finished all quests and sidequests?Have u summoned the golder rat and the golden Ylside.They give loads of XP !
Post Wed Jun 01, 2005 5:10 pm
migwell
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Rolling through for my second time, I'm trying as much new stuff as I can. Got a thief/mage character, but I can shoot a bow and poison arrows, and brought the Grey Man down pretty easily.

Didn't need Poxellis' hat or any magic at all to do it. Now I am level 10 and need -768,000 odd points (it says) to reach the next level.

Actually, I think this is too much like cheating and will probably go back to my previous save and continue without all the extra XP. Still, very interesting.
Post Sun Jan 29, 2006 4:25 am
booyah_boy
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

Hmm...
Well, that's news to me too, and I'm a fairly avid Arx player (JoWood fanboy that I am)!
I went and tried it out, and without success. Having shot him with over a hundred arrows (the majority of which were poisioned) he was still just standing there, and, worse yet, apparently with a temper (who wouldn't be mad after being shot at?). Now every time I walk down the corridor, he attacks me!
Oh well. Casting Harm makes him run away (no matter how near or far he is to you) screaming for the guards (which still makes me laugh), although even trapping him in a corner with Harm double-cast, and pressed right up against him, will not kill him. It seems - although, as noted, I cannot confirm it - that poison arrows are the only thing that will do it.

Also, if you get him to run away from you when casting Harm, he'll run through the "forcefield" doors in Ederneum. This allows you to access the snakewomen's treasure room, and the other secret room as well. Try it!

One last thing: If you make him chase you into the hall of the snakewomen's leader, and he strikes at you, but hit's her, they'll (the snake-ladies) will attack him! Sadly, he ignores them all, and never seems to take any damage. I don't know if this occurs only when he strikes the leader, as I haven't tried it with any of the others yet.
Post Thu Feb 23, 2006 12:20 pm
Acleacius
King of the Realms
King of the Realms

Sounds like you have a very low bow skill?

Also the longer you hold the bow back the more damage, if I recall.

He sure did not need much more than 25 poisioned, defianlty not 50 at least all the times I have kiled him.

That kind strange about him going thru the forcefield, thou I always go the back way to the treasure room, long before I get to this level normally.
Post Fri Feb 24, 2006 1:03 am