Wizard creation pls suggest.
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Neverwinter Nights - General

Author Thread
Egin
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

Wizard creation pls suggest.

I have lvl 7 elven wizard generalist. Haven't specialized in any of the schools because have no idea which one is best.
Till now, I have played without any henchmen and actually had no problems. I had summon as main tank, panther as side backstabber and main char casting spells and using bow.
I am in main NWN campaign now.
Yesterday decided to bring henchman. Hmm, I thought you can take two henchmen, why only one? I have SOU and HOTU installed.

As for henchman I have decided to take that gnomish sorcerer. The idea is Summon and panther tanking foes, sorc weakening them with offencive spells and my wizard doing whatever appropriate to buff up my party, curse or kill enemies.

Have anyone tried this combo ? As for the game I know the most difficult parts for me will be closed quarters, because of high vulnerability of both mages. Are there many closed area battles in the game?

Any suggestions will be very very welcomed. I have never played NWN. This is my first character there.
Thank you in advance.
Post Mon Mar 01, 2004 2:57 pm
EverythingXen
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

The gnome sorcerer will burn himself out of spells very, very quickly. It's not a bad combination at low levels... but at higher levels you'll fight things that will kill your panther in one hit, whatever you summon a second later, the gnome a sweet second after that, and then you if you haven't screamed "MOMMY!!!" and used the stone of recall.

Relying too much on magic can be dangerous in NWN. Relying on physical characters can be as well. The best follower for a wizard is Dalen Redtiger... Tomi is a pretty good second, but a Pixie familiar is just as good a thief (though combat wise Tomi + Panther + Summon Creature = Everything gets sneak attacked and dies horribly).

Spellcasting NPCs are pretty horrible in NWN... up to and including HoTU. It's sad, but it's true.

You may only have one follower in the original campaign because the module wasn't written with the enhanced henchman scripts found in SoU and HoTU. I'm certain there are fan patchs that will let you use two, though. Especially now that Hordes can do it flawlessly.

"The old world dies and with it the old ways. We will rebuild it as it should be, MUST be... Immortal!"

=Member of the Nonflamers Guild=
=Worshipper of the Written Word=
Post Mon Mar 01, 2004 5:06 pm
Egin
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

Thank you very much for your reply EverythingXen. Information you have provided is invaluable in terms of, otherwise, it seems, I had screwed my game. It is strange my henchmen is using all his spells first and then usually just standing there doing nothing.

But, another problem is that you can't set priorities which spells and when your henchmen should cast.

As for heavy tanks like barbs, you right, I have read, that they are very mind affected.

I will take your advise into consideration and Xen, thanks again

/wave/
Egin
Post Mon Mar 01, 2004 6:49 pm
konny666
Noble Knight
Noble Knight

The WORST thing about the basic BioWare AI - whether in NWN, SoU or HoTU - is the spellcaster AI.

2 weeks after NWN was released in June 2002, the first popular patch to be released was a complete re-write of the spellcaster AI system. Only when HoTU was released in December 2003 did BW create something that was a par with that - BUT by that time, the first fan-made spellcaster AI system had gone through 100 revisions so it's still light years ahead of BioWare.

Playing with the combat AI patch can make a fight with a trio of goblin shamans actually be challenging for a first or second level tank character.

If you want to do the first OC with Boddyknock, try the patch. It will transform him overnight from a liability to a killer-gnome who can eliminate everyone before they come within swinging distance of your tank. Send me a PM and i'll send you the link.
Post Tue Mar 02, 2004 2:28 am
Egin
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

Greetings Konny,

I am a bit confused. I would like to play the game with 2 mages, it sounds challenging. As for my minions - summon and familiar, Xen mentioned they die in one hit later in the game. Then my both casters will be an easy prey for any monster, as soon as he reaches melee attack range. And especially taking into account the fact that casters AI is hmm how to say, not the best.

I am very interested in patching the game and trying cooping with that gnome. It is great to know people were attempting to improve casters AI.
Could you please PM me that link?

Thank you so much Konny.

/bow/

Egin

Btw, I have PM'd you this message, but it never left my outbox.
Post Tue Mar 02, 2004 4:50 pm