Horizons: Review @ ActionTrip
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > News Comments

Author Thread
Christation
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Horizons: Review @ ActionTrip

Horizons review found at <a href="http://www.actiontrip.com/reviews/horizonsempireofistaria.phtml" target="_blank">ActionTrip</a>. Here is a snipit: <br> <br><blockquote><em>What remains to be seen is if Artifact Entertainment can continue to squash the bugs that have become (mostly) par for the course on launch of a MMORPG. Also, we will see if they are able to deliver the caliber of server events that add the sense of community and excitement that we have seen so far. If they are able to do this on a consistent basis, they will have an engaging and rewarding MMORPG experience and will be able to go toe to toe with three highly anticipated MMORPG titles advancing on the market this year: World of Warcraft, Lineage II and EverQuest 2. Only time will tell if any of these three titles can steal the thunder of Horizons' unique crafting system, prestige classes and clever world events.</em></blockquote>
Post Fri Jan 23, 2004 6:35 am

There is a typical rant from Horizon's forums. What does AE do with all these reviewers to receive so much excited and misleading commercials?
-----------------
Well I have had it last night was the last straw and I really began to look around at options for a replacement game. Don't get me wrong I think Horizons has a ton of potential, however the company running it has no idea what public relations are or how to really develop stable code. So in the hopes that my small voice can be heard I thought I would write up some stuff that would make the game much more enjoyable.

1. Mobs, far too few spawning, far too few of camps, far too few of models. A level 12 Brown Wolf is the same as a level 60 Cursed Wolf. There is no real variance in mob models or difficulty. Essentially you kill the same mob over and over and over again for 100 levels. This is if you can find open mobs to kill. On Shadow right now every single camp of mobs 50+ are packed with tons and tons of people. It is extremely frustrating to have 2 or 3 people attacking the same mob you are trying to pull.

2. Kiting really needs to be addressed. Kiting is the only viable way for an archer to hunt, however it sucks and is such a pain in the butt. The entire archery system needs to be revamped. Not to mention elemental archers that can't do elemental damage.

3. Events that are fun to do, sorry building 4 mines up that take hours upon hours of crafting and hauling out goods just isn't fun. It really isn't appealing.

4. More communication, check out thecamelotherald.com. That is how a company communicates. Half the time we don't even know if you realize some of the major problems.

5. Buildings that actually work, and not just having deny all allow all settings. This is crazy, what a waste of time building if they don't even work and if we don't even know how they will work.

6. Equipment, what happened to having cool stuff? Right now we are all exactly the same with the exact same models and the exact same stuff. Very boring, hell there isn't even color yet.

7. Did I mention there are only like 9 mob models? That is crazy, should be 90...

8. Lackluster skill progression. There is such a small finite skill set given to each class and it just progresses up to 2, 3, 4 etc.. Very boring, and very non condusive to leveling. Provides very little goal motivation.

9. Sheer number of bugs that need to be fixed, crafting lag, elemental buffs on archers, collision detection exploitation, etc. There are a ton of bugs ingame that really need to be at least addressed officially.

10. Ingame support. Doing /petition has never received a reply. Ever...

11. Regular (such as weekly) grab bag type question answers where players email in questions and you post up answers. This goes back to the lackluster communication you have.

12. If you want official boards then make your own, using the vault as the official boards is an extremely poor choice. Vault has many bia's and charges for the simplist features such as searching. Not to mention the constant ad barraging that goes on.

13. I can't stress this enough, more mobs..

14. Restitution for the time wasted during the free trial. I would guess that over 1/4 of my free trial was wasted by poor coding, bad networking or very bad decisions on your part. There needs to be restitituion to the players.

15. Dungeons, this is a basic feature in all games these days. By not having the ability to add any at all then this clearly shows a fundamental problem with the game. Same goes for mounts.

Ok that is enough, if half of those got addressed I would be a happy player. However we all know none to few of those will be in the next six months.

Arithon - Shadow Server
59 Elar & 20 Carpenter
Post Fri Jan 23, 2004 6:38 am

Test

I didn't continue past the free month, but figure I'll take another look at it in 6 months or so (if something new hasn't come along by then). Most of the issues raised in this post are the same I have. Mainly I just didn't care for yet another 'no loot' game. At least not one that had such a lack of customizations of player made items. Useless houses that take forever to build and then you can't store anything in. Trying to hunt post level 40 and finding very little to kill.

Game needs a lotta work.
Post Fri Jan 23, 2004 1:59 pm

The interested can go to www.tazoon.com, click on 'forums' (you don't need to register to read, and they are open for broad public) and have a good reading. The posts in the 'rant' section are especially fun. Btw, very nice fan site.
Post Fri Jan 23, 2004 4:21 pm

RPGPorkster
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

RPGPorkster

Just look at the price of the game. From $49 to $29 within a month of release, that say it all about the game!

Avoid it anyway you can. There is hardly anyone playing the game anymore and is on the brink of many_low_points. AE refuses to do press releases and tell the community of the real happenings in their company like sackings, low sales, staff rarely at work to save funds, near to zero customer service, etc.

If there is any place for this game, it's a child's mmoRPG, if at all suitable due to the horror theme.

Post Fri Jan 23, 2004 5:42 pm