Achemy Help!
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Morrowind - General

Author Thread
nwmagi
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Achemy Help!

Can you learn alchemy from the game? So far I'm at a loss on how to make any potions except the ones that Ajira? lets you see when you return her papers at the mage guild. Do I have to get help from an online alchemy reference or will I pick up more recipes in the game? I don't want to "cheat" but I would like to eventually be able to make potions. I don't want to spoil the game either. Let me know what you think.
Post Sun Nov 14, 2004 8:20 pm
cfmdobbie
High Emperor
High Emperor

While your success in making potions is determined by your Alchemy and Intelligence (and a bit of Luck), your ability to see what effects a certain ingredient has, and therefore to see what potions you can mix with it, is limited by your Alchemy skill alone.

With a low score in Alchemy you can't tell anything about ingredient effects, with increased skill you can see the first effect (of up to four effects on a single ingredient), and at high skill levels you can see all ingredient effects.

Note, however, that regardless of the effects you can see, if you put two ingredients into your pestle and mortar, you'll be able to see exactly what potion they will result in.

So we have four ways to learn potion recipes:
  • Find books and scrolls that mention useful recipes
  • Throw ingredients together and see what happens
  • Improve your Alchemy skill, discover the effects your ingredients have, and design potions by matching like effects
  • Find a website with complete potion recipes

Literature in-game is quite hard to come by, throwing ingredients together is not very time-effective, and websites frequently seem too much like cheating. I tend to recommend people work on their Alchemy skill, and do the ingredient analysis themselves.

Note: It's often said that you can improve your alchemy skill by eating ingredients. Apart from being very time-consuming, it really isn't very effective. I believe it's generally better to sell whatever ingredients you find, and put the money towards training instead. Successfully making potions is good for Alchemy skill improvement as well, but, err, you need to be able to successfully make potions first...
Post Sun Nov 14, 2004 9:46 pm
nwmagi
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

That sounds good for now...

I'll work on that and see how it goes. Thanks!
Post Sun Nov 14, 2004 10:02 pm
gdgrimm
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

One thing my character did that I think is a nice approach is to make 'bad' potions.

For example, if you know two ingredients both have a 'damage fatigue' effect, go ahead and make a potion with them. You'll never want to use the potion yourself, but...

1) It helps raise your Alchemy skill
2) You can often sell the potion for more money than you could sell the ingredients.
3) Sometimes, you'll discover another spell effect that the ingredients have that you weren't aware of, until you made the potion.
Post Mon Nov 15, 2004 9:42 pm