Usergroups
IWD2, Arx Fatalis or Divine Divinity?
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > CRPGs General

Author Thread
Andro
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

I did go with DD I've been playing it for some time now. I like it a lot, and it does remind me of Hero's Quest (especially the sense of humour). I'm not too sure about the combat though, it's sort of a weird cross between Diablo, NWN and Hero's Quest (and I always hated the Hero's Quest combat). I play a bit of an oddball character (primary thief with some warrior/mage skills) so large fights aren't all that easy. It's pretty easy to get frustrated in some of the areas where you get mobbed all the time. That's my only annoyance though, and it doesn't spoil the game for me
Post Fri Oct 25, 2002 6:23 pm
Gothic Soul
Master of Shadows
Master of Shadows

Just one question is DD third or first person??? I didn't apreciate that on the screen shots.
Post Fri Oct 25, 2002 9:03 pm
Andro
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

It's isometric 2D. Think Ultima. If graphics are extremely important to you then DD is not for you. Personally I prefer solid gameplay and depth over flashy eye candy {insert wry Morrowind comment here} so DD was perfect for me.
Post Fri Oct 25, 2002 9:11 pm
Zakhal
Captain of the Guard
Captain of the Guard

I just got DD too. And i have to say it has totally sucked few days from me. I really like the cartoonish graphs it features over the rendered-rendered stuff BG series offers.

I usually prefer male characters but in this game the wrestling type fighter in miniskirt just didnt do for me so i chose the female fighter. Never player nor liked diablo but in DD i really enjoy piling up corpses. Not to mention theres a lot of other stuff do except corpses. Quests and events are really well done and the plot great. The ingame books are great reads too.

Great and lengthy exprience. I havent have so much fun in any game for somtime.
Post Sat Oct 26, 2002 12:48 am
Andro
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

I actually didn't like the game all that much for the first few hours of play. The first dungeon didn't really do it for me, and I thought the goings on in Aleroth were pretty boring. Once I got out of there and found areas I could actually start commiting blatent acts of scoundrelous thievery in I got sucked in I appreciate that the game lets you solve things in a variety of different ways without spoiling things for you.
Post Sat Oct 26, 2002 1:31 am
Zakhal
Captain of the Guard
Captain of the Guard

The first time i played was pretty much the same. Town seemd ok but the dungeon under it was a bit tiredsom. After a while i just got into it though and the game got much better from there.

As for thievery, i got one of my best (maybe even greatest, depends on the situation) weapons through stealing though im not really the thiefing-type. And the way i stole it wasnt the common way of stealing stuff, but kind of opportunity that just suddenly appeared. (A very heros quest kind of way infact though not that much of a puzzle.)

Not to mention ive been "forced" to wash dishes, search for a lost teddy bears for teenage girls and st....ups...lets loose the spoilers
Post Sat Oct 26, 2002 2:06 am
Danicek
The Old One
The Old One

quote:
Originally posted by Andro
It's isometric 2D. Think Ultima. If graphics are extremely important to you then DD is not for you. Personally I prefer solid gameplay and depth over flashy eye candy {insert wry Morrowind comment here} so DD was perfect for me.

However graphics is not bad. It is good and very functional. And some areas are very nice.
Post Sat Oct 26, 2002 6:49 am
wolfgard
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

I would say, go for IWD2 or Ark Fatalis. I bought DD, and sort of regretted it. It playes like Diablo2 which Baldur's Gate like quest, IMHO. And the crappy dialog and voiceover really creeps me out.
Post Mon Oct 28, 2002 8:00 pm
Andro
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

I agree with you on the combat, I don't really like it much. But I do really enjoy the game as a whole; the more I play it the more I get into it. It's not for everyone though certainly, if you didn't like the Quest for Glory series and can't bear Diablo-esque combat then it's not for you.
Post Tue Oct 29, 2002 12:07 am
corwin
On the Razorblade of Life
On the Razorblade of Life

I'm loving DD and am awaiting the release of Arx. However, don't forget to start saving for Gothic2 which hopefully will also be with us soon. You did play Gothic (the original) didn't you?

I don't use Smileys, I use Emoticons!!

Post Sat Nov 02, 2002 12:21 am
Andro
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

I've not played Gothic. I'd never even heard of it until I came here. I will check out Gothic 2 once it's released I'm sure.
Post Sat Nov 02, 2002 12:56 am
Danicek
The Old One
The Old One

Gothic is good is still good choice. It is now cheaper and still it is one of best RPGs ever - at least for me :].
Post Mon Nov 04, 2002 6:58 pm
fleabitfox
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Arx Fatalis! =)

Well.. I've played Morrowind and NWN, and pretty much every Wizardy, M&M, and Ultima that has come down the pike. There are few CRPGs I have not played.

I can say I am having more fun with Arx Fatalis than any CRPG I've played in awhile. It is just.. fun. The NPCs, the humor, the magic system, the atmosphere.. it is all good! It may not be perfect, but I am quite happy to overlook small problems with a game if it is FUN! And this one is. I haven't laughed out loud (like a dork? O.o ) in a long while over a game, but I did several times already with Arx Fatalis.

Fun, fun stuff. I'll probably play through it a few times!

fleabitfox
Post Mon Nov 11, 2002 7:57 am
Jericho
Chicken?
Chicken?

I too have the problem of chosing..
dont really like diablo-style games.. and i think graphics are important.. BG was fun playing and NWN was.. well.. ok.
But the one i liked most was gothic.. no doubt about that.. when morrowind came my hopes were extremely high.. but it turned out it wasnt exactly what i expected.. it felt like all i did was running.. and running... and RUNNING.. and you ran so slow it drove me crazy.. something about the style and atmosphere didnt appeal to me..
so after gothic most games dont seem so much fun anymore.. havent tried the demo of arx yet and i will download it as soon as possible.. but if anyone can give a tip of a game with feeling and atmosphere resembling gothic id love to hear all about it.

Never argue with the insane. They will only drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
And according to Lintra it is contagious

Quote from Val to Jericho: "You're an evil little cat, you know that."
Quote from Dhruin: "*Sigh* If only I was as perfect as Jericho"
Quote from Mr Roach: "We all wish we were perfect as Jericho"
Post Wed Nov 13, 2002 12:02 pm
Gorath
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

The only RPG really similar to Gothic is Ultima Ascension. But itīs old and PB obviously played it for a long time. Gothic is simply better.
Post Wed Nov 13, 2002 7:49 pm

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next