Total Votes : 22

Author Thread
Joey Nipps
Orcan High Command
Orcan High Command

quote:
Originally posted by Oye
norty people, stop implying that morrowind isnt every bit as good as it.. is ;p

That is the whole point of this thread. Morrowind was SUPPOSED to be so spectacular and it missed by a mile. This thread didn't ask what was the worst game but which was the most overrated - Morrowind fits that bill precisely - a big overrated disappointment.
Post Fri Nov 29, 2002 12:49 am
Oye
Noble Knight
Noble Knight

believe me, i know what the point of this thread was

i was merely disagreeing, as i think is spectacular

anything HoMM-like after II 6% [ 1 ] <- finally

¯|_
   |_     
     |_

Post Fri Nov 29, 2002 4:30 am
xSamhainx
Paws of Doom
Paws of Doom

Civilization 3. Easily the most overrated, over-hyped game of all time. It seemed like every single gamesite was blabbing about it, everyone I knew loved it, everyone adored this stupid, boring, crappy looking game. Man I hate Civ3, and i hate Sid Meir too. Im glad everyone finally shut up about that friggen game.
“Then away out in the woods I heard that kind of a sound that a ghost makes when it wants to tell about something that's on its mind and can't make itself understood, and so can't rest easy in its grave, and has to go about that way every night grieving.”-Mark Twain
Post Fri Nov 29, 2002 8:39 am
Dhruin
Stranger In A Strange Land

You know, xSamhainx, I agree with you on Civ3. It wouldn't be my first nomination but it *was* overhyped. Pretty much the same as Civ2 but I didn't think the balance was as good.
Post Fri Nov 29, 2002 9:07 am
Michael C
Black Dragon
Black Dragon

On the non- RPG front I have to agree on Daikatana & Black & White, those games were hyped mostly because of the "famous" developers behind them, and they both failed considerable in my book Ultima IX was also a disappointment when it appeared, mostly because of all it's bugs and heavy PC demands, but after the last patch and the PC's got more muscles it was actually a quite good game after all.

Morrowind was hyped by us RPG-fans, and I agree that it did disappoint me a little too, the NPC's lacked of soul, and the dungeons mostly small and uninteresting, but people claiming it as the biggest disappointment ever are way of the road, or have very limited gaming experience. Morrowing was not the "killer" game I've expected too, but it still was a fair game. Some people just have to have the total opposit opinion than most other people, and there often are no middle way for them, just the extreme opposit! So many people out there really like Morrowind for what it was, and if one really was that big time disappointed about it, his expectations must have been way far from the promissed!

Pool of Radiance (II) had a famous predecessor, but failed greatly and the greater audience agreed on that.

Dungeon siege was a action RPG with focus on "action", and I'm sure some of us was a bit disappointed about that, but it still had it's moments, and I can't give this game the big disappointment label either!

NWN delivered exactly what it promissed IMHO. I'm no big fan of bird view AD&D CRPG's, but NWN didn't disappoint or please me more than my expectations, and it was a fairly good game (single player).

Might & Magic IX was also a disappoint for me as a big fan of the series. I know I hyped the expectations my self, and I did miss some of the old features like flying and tougher fights! But still MMIX did deliver a few good gaming hours for me, so no devistation here either!

Halflife: If someone expected a mindless "doom" or a CRPG" I understand the disappoinment, but if you expected a more story driven shooter halflife was one of the best!

Civilization III!!? As a fan of the serie, I wasn't either pleased with the "new" things in the "third" game. There simply wasn't enough new things in this game to deserve a new number, but the balance in the game was quite good, and if it was the first Civ game you ever had bougth I think you would had been very pleased with it.

HOMM3 was quite good IMHO

HOMM4 is not so good as the others. To few new things, and the heros active on the battlefield isn't a big change. Again on it's own it's a okay game, but compared to it's predecessors its a little behind!

I'm not quite sure which CRPG is my biggest disappointment, but I think Pool of Radiance II is one of the games to compete for this nomination! I now it's not so revolutionary to mention than a famous game like Morrowind, NWN or Gothic, but instead it's my truly opinion!
Post Fri Nov 29, 2002 11:40 am
Gish
Almighty Gish
Almighty Gish

I think the most overrated game is Gothic, because it is boring, has stupid character development, bad voice acting, gay quests, a lame story, a pitiful fighting system, and blocky graphics to top it all off. I have no idea why so many people on this site like this game. I am personally glad that Gothic 2 might never get released so it will save room on the shelf at stores for better games.
Post Fri Nov 29, 2002 9:53 pm
DzD
Unknown
Unknown

quote:
Originally posted by Gish
I think the most overrated game is Gothic, because it is boring, has stupid character development, bad voice acting, gay quests, a lame story, a pitiful fighting system, and blocky graphics to top it all off. I have no idea why so many people on this site like this game. I am personally glad that Gothic 2 might never get released so it will save room on the shelf at stores for better games.

Everyoen has his/her own opinion, but when someone do like this, you all should ignore the person.
His latest, a hit
Cuz the Little One's a mystery to me

Written by - dteowner
Post Fri Nov 29, 2002 9:57 pm
Oye
Noble Knight
Noble Knight

quote:
Originally posted by xSamhainx
Civilization 3. Easily the most overrated, over-hyped game of all time. It seemed like every single gamesite was blabbing about it, everyone I knew loved it, everyone adored this stupid, boring, crappy looking game. Man I hate Civ3, and i hate Sid Meir too. Im glad everyone finally shut up about that friggen game.

good one, i forgot all about it (surprise..). I have to admit that i played it for a while, but it was (imo) far from as good as it was hyped and rated to be. No reason to hate Meier though, the two first were great

¯|_
   |_     
     |_

Last edited by Oye on Fri Nov 29, 2002 10:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post Fri Nov 29, 2002 10:06 pm
Joey Nipps
Orcan High Command
Orcan High Command

quote:

First and formost - Gothic could never be considered for most overrated because there was so little published about it (particularly early on when most games are hyped) that I barely heard about it. Not only was it NOT overrated, it was barely rated at all in most US publications - if it weren't for RPGDot I (and many others) would never know about it. Now Morrowing (and NWN and Dungeon Siege) - THOSE were hyped and rated and .....

However, the quests were for the most part "gay" as you said (no offense to individuals of an "alternative" life style). However, virtually all quests in virtually all games are almost (if not as) gay as those in Gothic - so I don't slight Gothic any more than I do other games for this fault. As far as bad voice acting goes - well, at least it had some (most games don't bother). Insofar as a lame story goes - well, I felt it was far more original than most other games (at least your character wasn't somehow the "chosen" one of angels, gods, higher powers, etc.). Pitiful fighting system????? Please - it was as good as any other game - and far better than most cRPGs (remember it isn't a shooter).
Post Fri Nov 29, 2002 10:07 pm
Korzen
Forsaken
Forsaken

quote:
Originally posted by DzD
quote:

Everyoen has his/her own opinion, but when someone do like this, you all should ignore the person.

I just can't ignore it! Talking about gay quests Morowind had some there was this Casius Cosade gay ( or something like that ). And you seem to know a lot about gothic but you say that it's such a stupid game, you had to play it for quite long to now so much, and where did you find gay quests in gothic?!?
Post Fri Nov 29, 2002 10:11 pm
Oye
Noble Knight
Noble Knight

quote:
Originally posted by Korzen

...there was this Casius Cosade gay...

i have to admit (), i dont like the way that guy looks at me :/

¯|_
   |_     
     |_

Post Sat Nov 30, 2002 12:01 am
xSamhainx
Paws of Doom
Paws of Doom

LOL, omG. Youve guys got me busting out the chat acronyms on this one.
Gish knew he was opening a can of worms there! I havent got as far as most here in Gothic, but i sure havent had any NPC's send me on a mission to "go take out that big brute who was messing with my boyfriend", or retrieve the magical "Staff of Hardness". Too funny!
“Then away out in the woods I heard that kind of a sound that a ghost makes when it wants to tell about something that's on its mind and can't make itself understood, and so can't rest easy in its grave, and has to go about that way every night grieving.”-Mark Twain
Post Sat Nov 30, 2002 12:16 am
Jay
Fearless Paladin
Fearless Paladin

Hilarious. The guy who slated Morrowind gets all upset when his fav game gets slated.

I think both Gothic and Morrowind are great games. This complaining about Fed Ex in Morrowind is strange, as almost all RPGs are built around this concept. Divine Divinity seems to revolve around bring letter a to b, etc. The worst offender of this in a long time has to be Arx Fatalis. Guy loses his memory, then spends the whole time doing things for others. ANd you never the option to say NO, do it yourself. Bring letter to King, bring Idol to trolls, etc. Myself, I would have better things to do, like finding out what happened to me.
Post Sat Nov 30, 2002 12:42 am
Dhruin

I was trying to resist the urge to respond but I can't help it. So I'll simply say - Gish, you're entitled to your opinion but honestly, "gay" quests? Explain how the quests in Gothic are "gay", compared - I presume - to MW?
Post Sat Nov 30, 2002 1:01 am
Jaz
Late Night Spook
Late Night Spook

quote:
Originally posted by Jay
HALF LIFE.

Sacrilege!
It looked stinky, but despite my earlier reservations it played extremely well. Nice puzzles, nice atmosphere. Of course, each to his own, and I'm a hybrid-junkie, not a regular CRPGer.

I voted for Dungeon Siege, but NWN would have been my game of choice here. DS was boring, but I didn't expect it to be anything else. NWN was boring too, but I expected it to be exciting. My bad.

As for the rest... please, stop the flame-baiting. It's okay to state your opinions, but it'd be best if you also tried to substantiate your claims.

=EDIT=
The MW guy you're referring to is Crassius Curio, I guess. The playwright. The one who's trying to hit on you no matter which species or sex your character is .
Post Sat Nov 30, 2002 11:29 am

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next