Screenshots
   Videos

Miscellaneous
   Staff Members
   Privacy Statement

FAQ
Members
Usergroups
Divine Divinity - Can't find Duke! Help?
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Divinity & Beyond Divinity

Author Thread
SirDeity
Gothic's Loyal Hero
Gothic's Loyal Hero

Divine Divinity - Can't find Duke! Help?

I've held off for a while, but I've finally entered the castle area to visit the new Lord Duke (the 12 year old kid). (The entire game has run smoothly until now.) The game went through it's automated scenes, where the duke declared me his new 'Lord Protecter' and so forth... then he instructed me to meet him in his room. It's recorded as a quest. Unfortunately, I've searched the entire area with no luck. I simply can't find the Duke ('divine one' - kid) anywhere. Which room is his? In any case, he isn't anywhere to be found. Is this a game error or is there something special I am supposed to do before being able to locate him? (Note: I've already talked to the cook and washed his dishes - no idea if that plays any roll whatsoever.)

My concern is that I may have waited too long to visit him. I already exposed Dr. Elroth and the plague problem (solved the quest). I've done most of the quests available on the starting map. I hope the game hasn't messed up...

Anyway, if someone could kindly help me out here, it'd be greatly appreciated.

Thank-you!
I am the founder and former leader of a guild in EQ, retired member of The Code in EQ, original member of KOE in AOE2, past Corporal of EVO in MOHAA, respected veteran of UT 2003, a conquerer of all decent games, and an aspiring game developer.

Gothic's Loyal Hero, SirDeity
Post Sun Aug 29, 2004 1:55 pm
SirDeity
Gothic's Loyal Hero
Gothic's Loyal Hero

I've tried reloading old saved games to see if I could solve anything... I discovered that, upon entering the stronghold and meeting the Duke for the first time, I fail the 'Meet the Wizard Zandalor at the Dwarven Bread Inn' quest. What have I done wrong?! Did I hold out for too long? I was given no hint of any order requirement for completing quests.

I've already visited the Dwarven Bread Inn and talked to the other 'Marked One.' He told me that Zandalor went to the stronghold to find the 3rd 'Marked One.' My character responded with the idea to go searching for him. Unfortunately, when I go to the stronghold, it seems I'm only able to fail the quest.

I can only assume that I was supposed to visit the Dwarven Bread Inn earlier in the game (before developing a high reputation or completing other quests permitting me entrance into the stronghold; thereby triggering the 'Lord Protector' scene).
(Note: I've also noticed that a strange goblin wizard-like creature shows up when I initially enter the stronghold only when I have my teleportation pyramid on me - if I drop it before entering the stronghold, then the NPC does not appear - and takes my teleportation devices. I have no idea if this bit of information helps at all.)

I've already invested about 5 full (18 hours of game-play per day - only about 5 hours of sleep every 24 hours) days into this game. I'll be highly devastated if my game is messed up. I'm afraid I don't have any saved games from way back before I completed the quests for the other key NPC's (the female one at the outpost/stronghold - forgot name - and the guy at the burnt village near the southeastern corner of the map - also forgot name). Even if I did, I'd still be losing at least 36-54 hours of game-play.

Very similar problems interrupted my gaming experience for Morrowind and Arx Fatalis. In both of those games I eventually (after weeks of devoted gaming) ended up unwittingly doing something that would later stop me from progressing any further in the game (story came to an end prematurely - due to some wrong actions or disorderly course of progression).
(Explanations: In Morrowind I ended up killing a mob in self-defense - it attacked me first - not knowing that I wasn't supposed to do so. The fault was due to my walking past a guard without talking to him first, - hey, in a game with thousands of NPCs, you can't realistically be expected to talk to every single one of them in the order that you approach them - and being told specifically not to harm any of the creatures that might attack me. Anyway, it ended up making a required NPC refuse to talk to me - one that was required to progress in the game. It was an overall stupid bug in the game that ruined my whole experience and wasted a lot of my time.

In Arx Fatalis I ended up walking too fast into a room and facing in the wrong direction, thereby missing a certain scene that I guess was required for me to 'talk' to a certain NPC that soon after disappears from the game. This was another stupid bug. I guess I'm just unlucky...)

Anyway, I have nothing to do but bitc& and moan until I get some help with this game... I'll check back later.

(If anyone wants a copy of my saved game - to better assist me - please make a request for it. I will willingly give you a copy.)
I am the founder and former leader of a guild in EQ, retired member of The Code in EQ, original member of KOE in AOE2, past Corporal of EVO in MOHAA, respected veteran of UT 2003, a conquerer of all decent games, and an aspiring game developer.

Post Sun Aug 29, 2004 3:31 pm
Val
Risen From Ashes
Risen From Ashes

First, you haven't done anything wrong. You can actually do almost every quest before entering the stronghold and I'd encourage people to do so, since that Imp steals your teleporter pyramids (like he's supposed to do).

As for finding the Duke, just follow him after the cutscene. His room is almost directly east of the throne room.

Sorry for not answering your questions sooner. I haven't been able to visit the forums very often lately.
Post Tue Aug 31, 2004 9:23 pm
SirDeity
Gothic's Loyal Hero
Gothic's Loyal Hero

It's okay. I'm way ahead of that point in the game anyway. I probably should have returned here to let everyone know that I wasn't stuck any longer.

I ended up having to reload an old saved game and doing a bunch of stuff over again. I found that unless I followed him to his room, then he'd end up disappearing completely. It's obviously a game bug. It could be just on my end... maybe my install had a hiccup in it.

Post Thu Sep 02, 2004 7:16 am