Saved inside dialog
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Gothic - Troubleshooting

Author Thread
Drauk
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Saved inside dialog

I've saved my game while milten was still speaking near entrance to undeground cave where focus is. Now when i talk with him - im frozen, there is no dialog menu, and i even cant access main game menu. Dialog with other chars seems to work ok.
And another problem - where i save a game and reload - camera shifts so some weird view - look like dungeon beneath Old camp.
Any help would be appreciated - i dont have any more save games unfortunatly.
Post Sat Jul 31, 2004 2:16 pm
EDV
High Emperor
High Emperor

I don't know how to handle your problem, but for next time don't forget the golden rule in the Gothic games: Save often, in many slots.
Post Sat Jul 31, 2004 3:42 pm
hwfanatic
Average Fanatic
Average Fanatic

How did you save whilst dialog in the first place? Can one do that? As for the solution, you can try pulling your sword on Milten, and then he miht initiate a dilaog with you first. Others than that, you can try "rebooting" Milten. Nothing else comes to my mind...
Post Sat Jul 31, 2004 4:06 pm
Drauk
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

quote:
Originally posted by hwfanatic
How did you save whilst dialog in the first place? Can one do that? As for the solution, you can try pulling your sword on Milten, and then he miht initiate a dilaog with you first. Others than that, you can try "rebooting" Milten. Nothing else comes to my mind...

Well, i managed to save right before mitlen started to speak. So when i load the game - he is speaking.
Why do mean by reboot milten? How do i do that?
Post Sat Jul 31, 2004 5:50 pm
Gorath
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

No offense, but if you donīt know that you should use multiple save slots in every RPG (Diablo, etc. are no RPGs in this sense) you have to learn it the hard way and start a new game.
Post Sat Jul 31, 2004 6:55 pm
hwfanatic
Average Fanatic
Average Fanatic

quote:
Originally posted by Gorath
No offense, but if you donīt know that you should use multiple save slots in every RPG (Diablo, etc. are no RPGs in this sense) you have to learn it the hard way and start a new game.

Can he not at least try to sort things out...

Enter Mrvin mode by pressing bmarvinb, then get Milten in your focus. "Enter" him by pressing the "o" key. After that, press F8, and Milten is rebooted. Leave him the same way you entered him, and see if the issue is sorted. If it is, save the game, and quit. While in marvin mode, zou might have some problems with the game...
Post Sat Jul 31, 2004 10:42 pm
Drauk
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

quote:
Originally posted by hwfanatic
Can he not at least try to sort things out...

Enter Mrvin mode by pressing bmarvinb, then get Milten in your focus. "Enter" him by pressing the "o" key. After that, press F8, and Milten is rebooted. Leave him the same way you entered him, and see if the issue is sorted. If it is, save the game, and quit. While in marvin mode, zou might have some problems with the game...

No, that doesnt help. I've tried to kill milten and then insert him again. That seems to solve dialog problem. But it wont solve camera jump problem. If i save game and than load it again camera is placed in old camp dungeon. And nothing i tried didnt move it to where i was. I know that sounds very weird, but cant describe it better.
Post Sat Jul 31, 2004 11:29 pm
mookmaster
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

yea i remember having a similar problem with bullet when i came for revenge. I just remember whiggling with it and trying all kinds of methods until finally it worked. Not quite sure how i did it though. So if you don't feel like starting over just try running in the other direction right as you load or something. Sorry i'm not much help but i do know what you're talking about.
Post Sun Aug 01, 2004 12:30 am
Wulf
The Shepherd
The Shepherd

O.k Drauk,,

I have had this situation hundreds (yes hundreds of times) - - in my case it was always caused by two situations whilst "meddling" :-

1. "goto waypoint" (without entering any waypoint co-ordinates) command in marvin will take you to that place (dungeon), having saved a game previously still in marvin.

2. Hitting the F7 key (again in marvin) and forgetting the "stats42stats" in marvin, rather than quitting the game then restarting, (starting a save game while still in marvin will still be in marvin) then, whilst appearing "new" will still have previously saved attributes.

Try this, it might just work, because you seem to be able to handle marvin o.k. - - you say you can get Milten back without the menu problem, at that point - do "hero exportmilten" having posessed him first, (this is just for safe keeping should it not work using this method, (there are other similar methods).
Then, (method 1) after pressing F6, zoom (fly) to a suitable safe place, then do a gc (goto camera) come back just a little with the zoom then hit enter, then F8 and or F4, you shold now be able to walk about as pc-hero in normal game.
If this does not work come back for a further slightly longer (method 2).

good luck
Post Sun Aug 01, 2004 9:36 am
Drauk
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

quote:
Originally posted by Wulf
Then, (method 1) after pressing F6, zoom (fly) to a suitable safe place, then do a gc (goto camera) come back just a little with the zoom then hit enter, then F8 and or F4, you shold now be able to walk about as pc-hero in normal game.
If this does not work come back for a further slightly longer (method 2).

good luck

Thanks for advice, but somehting is not right. After i press F6 camera is in that position in OC dungeon. I can barely move it (with direction keys and mouse), but it always returns to that position. Maybe im doing something wrong at that point?
Then i type gc and hero falls to dungeon. After F8 and F4 it looks like ok, but as far as i walked into castle interior - camera shifted again, but now it moves trying to keep PC into the view. Looks like right solution is pretty close, but i cant figure it out.
Post Sun Aug 01, 2004 10:16 pm
Wulf
The Shepherd
The Shepherd

Hang on in there Drauk,

This is indeed a "bad one" - - - but first, one thing, can you check-out your keyboard? - - borrow another one? - - that "slow" movement is strange.

Can you turn - - spin around? - i must know of this to continue, and can you confirm that you did a *hero exportmilten* and that the zen file is in your Gothic folder.

Looks like one of your settings has locked but not sure which one just yet.

Awaiting your reply.
Post Sun Aug 01, 2004 10:53 pm
hwfanatic
Average Fanatic
Average Fanatic

You know, keyboards do not tend to break all tha often... Try changing some of the driver parameters first, that will probably do the trick.
Post Sun Aug 01, 2004 11:31 pm
Drauk
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

quote:
Originally posted by Wulf
This is indeed a "bad one" - - - but first, one thing, can you check-out your keyboard? - - borrow another one? - - that "slow" movement is strange.
Can you turn - - spin around? - i must know of this to continue, and can you confirm that you did a *hero exportmilten* and that the zen file is in your Gothic folder.
Looks like one of your settings has locked but not sure which one just yet.

I dont think this is a keyboard issue - i can turn camera while it placed in dungeon, it just immedeatly returns to original position after i release buttons. And i can't move camera position at all - what keys are used to do that?
And yes - i did an export and milten.zen is the "Saves" folder
Post Mon Aug 02, 2004 6:04 am
Wulf
The Shepherd
The Shepherd

O.k Drauk,

I wasn't saying your keyboard was faulty, just double checking that it functions o.k, - - - (mine packed in 6 months ago with similar problems) now, your feedback is giving info' of problem, and is good that the turn ability is working, seems as if your camera is stuck and will not return to default. Even at this stage there are several options but i don't want to drag you through a load of proceedures.

This is what needs to be saved, - - 1. hero export milten, (while in possession of milten)
2. hero export hero, (while in possession of pc-hero)

The next stage can be achieved from different approaches, and if you feel that you can experiment a bit, then by all means, have a go.

While in possession of milten, insert me (meatbug) and quiclkly o (possess) that meatbug, with luck it should be able to walk, if it can, make your way from the dungeon using your best ability (k, F8, or the goto camera tecnique, till you get to normal ground level, when you are in a suitable safe place, and still in possession of the meatbug, do the "hero import milten", if this works and you can run around as milten do a specific save game, (not forgetting that this is actually pc-hero) and repeating the meatbug proceedure again and therefore enabling pc-hero only if required.(because pc-hero is at the ring of stones)? - - if you realise that you have two characters somewhere in the game then kill off the "excess" (marvin k) before a save.

Be aware that in marvin, "save position" with a suffix, eg "save position a" can also reload a character back to that same location by "load position a" - - so try to use this wisely if you find a safe place is working.

If you find that the meatbug will not move or goto camera when rquired then things are not looking good,
it may be a good idea to try to re-install gothic, but use the repair option in the install menu, this will keep all save games intact, but of course there could still be a "corrupted" save.

Cycling through the various gothic locations using F7 in marvin, then at one of those locations, pressing F4 should bring the camera back to default (normal). To check this in marvin "edit camera" should show as CAMMODNORMAL(CCAMSYS). let me know if it is different.
Post Mon Aug 02, 2004 12:24 pm
Drauk
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Well, in a short - it didn't worked out. No matter how hard i tried the game always keep switching camera into dungeon position. I've found a way to switch it back - F7, F8, F4. But on reloading a save it will change back. To make things worse, saving (just saving, w/out loading) caused all corpses to dissappear. And Milten's dialog was still screwed.

So i just started game again with exported hero. Took me only about 2 hours to reach that point with finding focus stones. There were couple of glitches due to skipping a LOT of talking and side-quest, but nonetheless i just finished the game. Thanks a lot for those who tried to help me.
Post Tue Aug 10, 2004 2:59 pm