Usergroups
Why do RPG's stink now?
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > CRPGs General

Author Thread
ChronoTrigger
Village Leader
Village Leader

Well Thanks , i Remember another game that I played till My Hands Bleed, Gran Turismo 2, (Not so much of an RPG here But, i have My Point) there were so many Champonships, and Bonus For every CHamp or race you won, and you did not Know what car will be yours, etc, It was Awesome, all because you did not Know what was a Rumor, and What was Real (I remember playing Mortal Kombat 2 On super nes, so many times, Just to see if there was a limit on How many battles You can win, and all of the sudden, Noob Saibot, was Crushing Me till it Hurts, there was More To find out, because you did Know Less, so if you want to proove My point, Give it a Try, and the next game it comes out, just read what tipe of game is, a Mini review from someone that do not spoil Things, and play it, Forget about the Internet, Or about Being Helped by Another Forum Member, if you got Stuck, Just play it, and Enjoy it, for your own, and you will see, that you will be amazed again,
PS: the first time i got here, was the day I finished Gothic 1 For the First Time, and when Gothic 2 arrives, I remember that i Quit reading the Gothic 1/2 Forum, till I finished It with all Three Guilds, why...? because IF YOU DON'T Know that playing as a Mercenary is More or less the same, as playing as a Paladin, You play the Game Three times, (Paladin, Mercenary, Mage), if you Know, You don't want to loose the time weird But True, and More Fun.
Post Fri Oct 03, 2003 4:35 pm
thartanian
Guards Lieutenant
Guards Lieutenant

I played Wizards & Warriors for the NES. That game rocked!!!! As for the original post, it's chill. Everyone has their own tilt. Personally, I've enjoyed morrowind, arx fatalis, drakan, baldur's gate 2:Dark Alliance(PS2), FF7. I didnt' really like NWN or DS either. I'm also trying to start BG2. I'm already in the first city and I'm uncertain as to whether I will continue. Nonetheless we shall continue in search of OUR favorite game. Good luck to all.
Post Sat Oct 04, 2003 3:23 pm
Roqua
High Emperor
High Emperor

ToEE in Ironman is a hole new experience for me. I never played PnP anything, so no reloads has forced me to play a whole new way. I don't search every nook and crany. I rest a lot more. I actually get nervous and scared.

I think the only game that has ever got me nervous and scared was an older Vietnam game. Vietcong? I forget. But I remember sweating as I approached a village and was very scared, listening to which way a sound would coming from. I never beat it because I suck at twitch-based games, but I had fun for a while getting slaughtered, and it really was the only game I can think of that made me scared or nervous.

Before you play through ToEE in regular mode, I highly suggest playing through in Ironman without cheating. Its a new experience for me, and I recommend it to anyone who likes RPG's.

P.s. I didn't make it through in Ironman, I quit and played a regular game after being wipped out completetly 3 time (and semi-wipped out a million more). I really wish I didn't wreck it by doing this. Now I know what to avoid ext. I guess I'm not an Ironman, just a sissy-girl.

At least I found a game I really like. But the bugs are really starting to get to me bad. Thats another way this game is making me emotional, I want to smash it into little bits and urinate on it when a bug freezes a game and i can't get to windows to end the program, but have to restart my computer. It also slows way down, for me at least, in the elemental nodes.
Post Sun Oct 05, 2003 6:41 pm
Namirrha
Noble Knight
Noble Knight

Hmm, haven't been here in quite some time. The forum's wonderfully filled with new topics. The biggest problems I've had with recent RPGs are crappy story and dialogue (now, Deus Ex has some good dialogue) and poor combat. Poor combat was what put me off from Morrowind, despite the apparent enormity and freedom of the world. Simple click and hit, hit, die, for either my opponent or my character is not exactly my idea of good combat. Not even different combat moves like in Gothic? Gothic does a good job in that it puts the player into a living world, where NPCs have schedules and lives other than waiting in rain-or-shine for my character to bother them to death with stupid questions. Fallout had a lot of good elements that came together, despite its graphics. I got into RPGs with BG and Fallout, went back and played MM6, and did Wiz 8 not long ago (though I had to stop playing otherwise I would've failed some of my classes ).

For me, the lure of RPGs are many: different, interactive world, interesting story, interesting character, building up characters, and essentially fully interacting with the medium. Seems, though, these have been undercut, one-by-one, in many recent RPGs. I passed on ToEE, though I had planned to buy it, because of the lack of story and horrendous dialogue. Like others, I've come to expect more from RPGs, not so much in graphics, but more in terms of stories, dialogue, and immersion. I've seen all the stories and settings before; if not in games, then in movies, in books, or somewhere else. It doesn't help that I'm an avid reader and have a penchant for writing, so that makes me more picky than the average guy. I've discussed this with other RPG developers--programmers, some designers, and some QA folks I keep in touch with. Those I've talked to agree that there's less going on as the market solidifies, investment capital dries up and becomes focused, and development costs skyrocket, keeping potential competitors with new ideas out of a market that is starting to stagnate badly. The CRPG market, as a whole, needs a shake up or an infusion of new blood, new ideas, to prevent the genre from becoming stale. But my hopes aren't lost, because even though I haven't bought as many mainstream games, I have been exploring other games like Gothic and things from European game developers. And now that I received my renewed bank card in the mail...can you say Gothic 2 goodness on the way!
Post Thu Oct 23, 2003 2:18 pm
Shin_Gouki
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

my 2 cents

hmm my unwelcome opinion:

seems to me crpg's have evolved/devolved? into something other than what i consider an rpg ( of the past )

some things i miss:

party based combat ( in all but some )
full control of all my characters ( poor AI seems to be the rage )
good old fashioned fast turn based fights ( P.O.R. fallout, wiz 8 are bad examles of how not to do it ) - think might & magic 1

what has sadly become the norm:

a graphic whores dream come true ( Wow did you see the graphics in that game ! )
clickfest/twitch game
less story more action
forgettable characters

to me ( opinion remember ) morrowind is nothing more than a first person shooter with an RPG label tacked on to apeal to a wider audience.

sadly i think the might & magic series is the only series that makes me want to still use my pc for gaming.
Post Sat Oct 25, 2003 7:59 am
mkreku
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

Gaah! I hate when people attack my old favourite Wasteland.

Yes, it was a lot of combat in Wasteland. But it was highly tactical combat! It NEVER got boring. Not at all like in these new games (lionheart/Morrowind (flying lizards! argh!)/Temple Of Elemental Evil). Besides, you can increase the amount of fighting if you increase the amount of interesting quests and missions in the same rate. Wasteland had just that. Everywhere you went, whatever you did, someone or something was affected. There were obvious quests, personal quests, hidden quests, secret quests, obscure quests, violent quests, adventure-like quests, illogical quests, technical quests and so on. No matter what you like, you're bound to find it in Wasteland. And the way you solve it is entirely up to you to choose, because Wasteland has (probably) the best character development system ever created. If you use a skill, and ONLY if you use a skill can you become good at it. It is NOT possible (without cheating at least) to become good at anything by going to a teacher with lots of money. YOU. HAVE. TO. PRACTICE. No other RPG has even come close to that system (well, Morrowind has, in a way, but that game sucked). Fallout 1/2 tried, but didn't quite make it right.

Anyhow, if there's one game that deserves a remake with todays technology it would be Wasteland.

Ps. Did you know you could actually use up all the ammo in the game world if you wanted to..? I played Wasteland for so long (after I had finished it) that I burned upp all the ammo that existed. The stores had nothing to sell me after a while!
Post Mon Oct 27, 2003 10:28 am
Roqua
High Emperor
High Emperor

I think one of the new companies just bought the rights to Wastelands. I'm not 100% sure but I think I'm right.

I've never played the original but I've heard lots of good thinks about it.

And in QfG1-5 you have to use a skill to raise it.
Post Mon Oct 27, 2003 4:31 pm
elkston
High Emperor
High Emperor

quote:
Originally posted by mkreku

Anyhow, if there's one game that deserves a remake with todays technology it would be Wasteland.

Ps. Did you know you could actually use up all the ammo in the game world if you wanted to..? I played Wasteland for so long (after I had finished it) that I burned upp all the ammo that existed. The stores had nothing to sell me after a while!

Definitley. Wasteland is in my top 5 of all time. I played that game like crazy. It's interesting that you used up *all* the ammo. I guess you hung around Las Vegas and kept shooting up all the Scorpitrons and Warriod Mark IVs!!!
Post Mon Oct 27, 2003 5:40 pm
Hexy
High Emperor
High Emperor

quote:

Yes, it was a lot of combat in Wasteland. But it was highly tactical combat! It NEVER got boring. Not at all like in these new games (lionheart/Morrowind (flying lizards! argh!)/Temple Of Elemental Evil).

I loved the crappy fighting scripting of Wastelands... you know, lame stuff like "You maul a Harry the Bunny Master for 1 point of damage."
I also loved having combat with MINIMUM tactics. NO visibility, and a horrible inventory. Plus, of course, ploughing through piles of stray rats and dogs, while fighting for my life against rabbits... in slow-mo, text-based and turn-based combat.

Yeah, truly a great game
Post Mon Oct 27, 2003 8:17 pm
elkston
High Emperor
High Emperor

quote:
Originally posted by Hexy
quote:

Yes, it was a lot of combat in Wasteland. But it was highly tactical combat! It NEVER got boring. Not at all like in these new games (lionheart/Morrowind (flying lizards! argh!)/Temple Of Elemental Evil).

I loved the crappy fighting scripting of Wastelands... you know, lame stuff like "You maul a Harry the Bunny Master for 1 point of damage."
I also loved having combat with MINIMUM tactics. NO visibility, and a horrible inventory. Plus, of course, ploughing through piles of stray rats and dogs, while fighting for my life against rabbits... in slow-mo, text-based and turn-based combat.

Yeah, truly a great game

Did you play it when it actually came out? Or are you trying to compare it to what's available in more recent games? You just can't make that comparsion, sorry. You have to judge it based on when it was released (1986 I think). Unless you have that frame of reference, you won't get it.
Post Mon Oct 27, 2003 8:41 pm
Lightwave
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Personally I don't like the new 3rd person perspective,. I need reading glasses to see the characters. 1st person is better IMO because you can't see the guy hiding around the corner like overhead views. It also gives that being there yourself feel. It doesn't matter about single or multi character parties too much. Although I think multi parties are more fun and take longer to develop before they can kick everones ass too easily. A game should progress slowly but keep the excitement of what's around the next corner or whats in the next treasure box. a slow but progressive increase in skills and weapons with a steady increase in monster levels. also a monk or ninja type character should steadily progress in combat and defensive ability as they level up or gain new abilities such as a more potent kick or punch. hand a ninja or monk a sword these days and they are automatically better even if they have no weapon skills. I love the new graphics, they add more realistic type atmosphere, but the dialog and combat also needs to be more realistic. And why have guns and lasers in a mideveil game along with blades and plate armour? I think the new ad&d games would be better in 1st person IMO. I would buy all of them. I couldn't finish NWN as it became too boring, so did morrowwind. Wiz 8 was incomplete and as said before battles were way out of hand and not balanced, too bad it had potencial and the ending sucked. And the traveling hordes of bugs, plants, and vines needs to go. Why is there crabs in the desert. W&W was not too bad except for being too linear. I liked the horse and boat idea for travel. Teleporting is ok after a place has been reached but being able to travel all over the map in an instant becomes boring unless they have you playing the fedex guy. some games allowed 2 or 3 saved teleport places at the most at one time which was more interesting. I am playing arx now and the atmosphere is good but not much to do so far. I think morrowind would have been better if the dungeons were longer, more complex, and more frightening. ever played a game where you can have a party with say a monk, thief type, magic user but the warroir type gets all the good stuff and the other characters suffer and never develop to their potencial?
Post Thu Oct 30, 2003 3:18 am
Kabduhl
City Guard
City Guard

it's all opinion yeah ..

well anyway i haven't been around for a while but here goes ... welcome back me lol =p

some thoughts ...

parties suck --- i refuse to play games with lame parties, they suck, suck, suck alot and then start to suck some more. i don't like rts gaming, i don't like controlling a whole group of people. give me the one character and let me become invested somewhat in that character throughout the course of the game. i vastly prefer being able to choose race, sex, skin tone etc but i'll settle for premade if the game is as good as Gothic.

morrowind is an awesome game. there's so much freedom, so much to explore, and there is plenty of cool dialogue and loads of great books to read. i wish the dialogue system was done differently, but oh well wtf no game is perfect. combat needs a little help (special moves for melee fighting) but really in first perosn mode, it's pretty fun. it feels way more simplistic in 3rd person mode because the character animations bite nads. but i don't play game only for character animations i play for depth of gameplay and building my charcter and exploring a game world .. morrowind gives me this in droves. you don't like it? that's nice, play something else.
Post Sun Nov 09, 2003 10:34 am
Namirrha
Noble Knight
Noble Knight

I'm not really against parties or for parties. I think it depends on the game and style and feel it tries to achieve. BG2 really shined with its unique and chatty NPCs (and some of them were really annoying, like Anomen...but that's why you keep a scroll of Disintegrate in your backpack, for when you meet him). On the other hand, I like the lone solitude of Gothic, or occasionally Morrowind, when I'm not frustrated with the terrible combat. And Fallout and Fallout 2 were fun, with the focus on the main character, and NPCs more as handy helpers rather than full-fledged team members. (Ian tried me sometimes in the first game, and Marcus in the second game...how could I forget Marcus and his penchant for the death-dealing minigun? I mean, death-dealing to my party members.) Or M&M6 or Wizardry 8...had lots of fun with those, to the point I had to uninstall Wizardry 8, because I was addicted.
Post Mon Nov 10, 2003 2:40 am
Navaros
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

RPG's stink now because they are developed by the average joe, for the average joe

class-act devs like Dynamix don't exist any more. instead today we get devs who's brains have been eroded by things like Britney Spears music and asinine TV shows like "3rd Rock from the Sun"

i bought Baldur's Gate 2 because i've only ever heard good things about it and you know what? Baldur's Gate 2 SUCKS. one of the most horrible games i've ever played.

the problem was (aside from the horrid graphics circa 1991 and clunky gameplay/interface) i can not be immersed in any so-called RPG game that has babyish, asinine, or juvenile elements such as Baldur's Gate 2 does. the first thing i noticed when reading my default party's character profiles was that the devs thought it would be "funny" to imply that the one of them hides his pet hamster up his rectum. i suppose the "gay community" finds this to be a progressive nod to them - i on the other hand, the RPG player; was simply disgusted.

5 minutes into the game i notice my party members saying things like "This is just TOO SCARY!"

a few hours later more atrocious lines like: "is your accent real or have you been reading too many trashy romance novels?"

...there are many, many more examples i could cite about why Baldur's Gate 2 is an asinine, babyish, immature and all-around horrible game but i think you guys get my drift.

any person of taste would find himself in the same boat as me: when exposed to babyish, out-of-context drivel like the examples i just gave; it is impossible to be IMMERSED in the game world

in short: RPGs stink these days because idiot devs make them, and design them for idiot customers.
Post Fri Apr 23, 2004 2:12 pm
corwin
On the Razorblade of Life
On the Razorblade of Life

While you are certainly entitled to your minority opinion, nothing is served by insulting the many people, myself included, who enjoyed this game. I'll match my university degrees against yours any day!!

I don't use Smileys, I use Emoticons!!

Post Sat Apr 24, 2004 12:00 am

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next