View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Absolutely Off Topic

Author Thread
Mloving
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Helping Cancer Patients through Games

Hello,

My name is Megan Loving. I am an undergraduate communication major enrolled in a course on virtual worlds at Trinity University (http://www.trinity.edu <http://www.trinity.edu/> ). Trinity is an independent liberal arts college based in San Antonio, Texas.

In this class, we have the opportunity to conduct a major research project on the topic of our choice. I am exploring ways that social virtual worlds could be used to improve the quality of life of children who are being treated for cancer. I have worked on a pediatric oncology floor as a volunteer for Child Life and I understand the importance of interaction among children during treatment.

Social virtual worlds are on-line spaces in which thousands of people interact with one another by assuming the identity of a highly customized game character. Players work alone or with others to explore new territories and solve on-line puzzles.

My hope is that virtual worlds such as these can make it possible for these children to interact with others and improve their communication skills that can be lost in the dreary hospital wing. The characters created by the patients could provide an outlet for them to run and jump and have long hair – whatever their individual wish may be. They could gain confidence and escape lonely, self-conscious feelings for a little while.

Some of you might have heard of Everquest or World of Warcraft. Other examples include There, Second Life and Walt Disney’s Toontown. These virtual worlds can be confusing at first, and I would be happy to explain them in greater detail.

I am hoping to speak with parents (over the age of 1 about their concerns and recommendations related to this proposal. When it comes to understanding the needs of children undergoing cancer treatments, you are clearly the most well-informed adults with whom I could speak.

These interviews could take place via e-mail or over an anonymous instant messaging connection. If it is more comfortable for you, we can also talk over the telephone at my expense. I will preserve the anonymity and confidentiality of all participants.

If you are willing to be interviewed about your thoughts on this topic, please contact me at:

megsproject@hotmail.com <mailto:megsproject@hotmail.com>

If you have questions about the academic legitimacy of this project, you can also contact my professor (Dr. Aaron Delwiche) at adelwich@trinity.edu or (210) 999-8153.

Sincerely,
Megan Loving

p.s. Our class is committed to sharing its research findings. At the end of the semester, all student papers and presentations will be linked to the course web site and made available to anyone with an Internet connection.

For more details about our course and the research project, visit:

http://www.trinity.edu/adelwich/worlds/faq.html <http://www.trinity.edu/adelwich/worlds/faq.html
Post Sun Apr 23, 2006 6:54 pm
xSamhainx
Paws of Doom
Paws of Doom

It's a great idea, and one Ive often had actually, that if God forbid something ever happens to where I cannot physically move around, a virtual environment may be some way one can still experience exploration, socialization, etc. When Im a hundred years old too, but we'll cross that bridge when we come to it.

I know there are many parents here, though I personally am not, I think you may actually get better results at http://www.gamerdad.com/ , a site that sorta caters a bit more to the parent/child type gamer a bit more than here.
“Then away out in the woods I heard that kind of a sound that a ghost makes when it wants to tell about something that's on its mind and can't make itself understood, and so can't rest easy in its grave, and has to go about that way every night grieving.”-Mark Twain
Post Fri Apr 28, 2006 8:49 am
cptmaxon
High Emperor
High Emperor

about hte whole communcation skills, I don't think you'll find those at a mmorpg, most converstions go like this:
lvl 5 drd LFG to do "enter name of quest here"
WTF you noob
wuz fireball do

of course some of them aren't like that, but most sadly are.

I'd go for EVE online at least greed make the ppl there be all bussiness like and talk like they want to get understood
Post Sat Apr 29, 2006 6:31 pm
xSamhainx
Paws of Doom
Paws of Doom

quote:
Originally posted by cptmaxon
about hte whole communcation skills, I don't think you'll find those at a mmorpg, most converstions go like this:
lvl 5 drd LFG to do "enter name of quest here"
WTF you noob
wuz fireball do

of course some of them aren't like that, but most sadly are.

I'd go for EVE online at least greed make the ppl there be all bussiness like and talk like they want to get understood

The aim of something like this is not to necessarily have them discussing the theory of relativity, or anything of real significance. It's to get children who are "screwed" and practically shut-ins, for lack of a better term, the chance to "get out" and be a kid if even in a virtual environment. Any convo among alot of kids (and some adults) is going to be peppered with much nonsense and gibberish at times, I dont see the problem with it, in regards to children who otherwise are staring at a wall or the same television program every day. Even leetspeek, in fact maybe the cancer patient child will enjoy leetspeek and be one of them. Give them a chance to be a brat then, I say. So what, that's the purpose of this whole thing in the first place, to get them interacting with other children, and running around playing and such.

Besides, every guild I have ever been in when playing Dark Age of Camelot or World of Warcraft did not speak in that manner, yet still most of our convos as a guild were about really nothing meaningful or relevant. But it was fun, and I made some pretty diverse friends from places far off that I otherwise would have had no chance of knowing, and that's all that matters.
“Then away out in the woods I heard that kind of a sound that a ghost makes when it wants to tell about something that's on its mind and can't make itself understood, and so can't rest easy in its grave, and has to go about that way every night grieving.”-Mark Twain
Post Sun Apr 30, 2006 8:59 pm
corwin
On the Razorblade of Life
On the Razorblade of Life

I agree, the experience would be invaluable. I'd like to recommend Minions of Mirth. It's inexpensive, has no ongoing fees, can be played on personal servers, has a growing, ongoing development and is lots of fun!! It can also be played SP as well as MP!! All for less than $30!!

I don't use Smileys, I use Emoticons!!

Post Mon May 01, 2006 12:00 am
txa1265
Magister of the Light
Magister of the Light

She finally did post over at GamerDad, hopefully she'll be around for discussion, not just expecting emails.

There is a lot of research about how gaming (such as gameboy, etc) is very helpful for kids in hospital - stress reduction, etc.

I can only imagine how long term illness would impact a child and how something like this would be able to give them back some sense of life.

Mike

Check out my blog.
Post Mon May 01, 2006 12:51 pm