Usergroups
can't get past goblins
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Dungeon Siege

Author Thread
soltys
Magister of the Light
Magister of the Light

Yep, I really like it. But there're times when you play at max difficulty when you wonder: "Am I so poor or didn't they bother to test this game at all ...."
Post Tue Apr 23, 2002 2:18 pm
Llama
High Emperor
High Emperor

I'm just playing on medium difficulty, as there is no extra bonus for playing on easy or hard versus medium.
Post Tue Apr 23, 2002 3:34 pm
Danicek
The Old One
The Old One

So Llama what is difference between easy, medium and hard?

If it is HP of creatures then you get more xp because you get xp from damage done by your characters (I think).

If it is number of creatures then you get more xp because you get xp from damage done by your characters (I think).
Post Tue Apr 23, 2002 5:06 pm
Llama
High Emperor
High Emperor

The difference between them is rather simple.

On easy you do extra damage, and take less damage.
On medium you do normal and take normal.
On hard you do less damage, and take more damage.

But, monsters still have the same amount of hitpoints so you don't get any extra exp for playing on easy, medium or hard. If it has 8 hitpoints and you do 10000, then you still only do 8 to the creature.
Post Tue Apr 23, 2002 5:10 pm
Danicek
The Old One
The Old One

Well thanks for info.

I wonder why they didnt implemented some system of getting extra exp. on higher dif. level or some advance difficulty system such as in Diablo.
Post Tue Apr 23, 2002 5:12 pm
Arms Of Dirt
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

This area of the game was one of the ones where it was clear they wanted you to use 'strategy' rather than brute force to overcome the issues...

Firstly, if you time it right and have a 15 m range crossbow, you can target the explosive barrels on the way across, and wipe out or severly weaken many of your opponents before they arrive to chew on you...

Secondly... once your long range archer has returned... I did what Schmo did... I sent across summoned creatures... Especially Darkling and Skik... Which can take a great deal (and dish out a great deal ) of punishment... The rest of my party stayed safely behind... never getting on the platform until my summoned creature stayed alive on the other side... After summoning 5-7 times or so... everything on the other side is wiped out... and you are safe to cross...

One of the best aspects of the game are the strategic options available to you... especially when implemented by using the pause key... Never hesitate to pause... it gives you time to regroup... and rethink... and re-organize... and it takes less time than having to 'reload' from a save... *smile*

Arms Of Dirt
Post Wed Apr 24, 2002 4:50 am
Danicek
The Old One
The Old One

I do not pause, I just go straight forward .
Post Wed Apr 24, 2002 6:45 am
Llama
High Emperor
High Emperor

quote:
I do not pause, I just go straight forward

Then you're missing out on a whole different experience of DS.
Post Wed Apr 24, 2002 1:19 pm
Danicek
The Old One
The Old One

Well, I know that there different "tactics" how to play DS.

I really enjoyed Wizardry 8, M&MIX, Arcanum (last three games I played), I was really happy that something not problematic and not very difficult comes and I can play it.

However now I am in Castle of Ehb and I started to use pause - sometimes. Simply because it is necessary.
Post Wed Apr 24, 2002 1:38 pm
PadainFain
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Eeeeew!

Yeah, that horrid section in the Goblin caves with the platform and the host of creatures on the other side! 8( First attempt at that was with a full party and I sucked! All those AE-ing mechs wipe out the crowd of mages quicker than they can heal.

I found that Regeneration + Magic Armor + Mana Chant + Summons + Hold Ground + Crossbows = dead enemies. Took me two crossings to clear it this time round with 2 characters.
Post Thu Apr 25, 2002 9:37 am
RagNaroK

Indeed

Just let 2 players use healing wind al the time, boost your chars with armour/extra damage spells ect. also it is handy to have an combat mage using battle healing al the time.. it took me 25minutes or something to get pas that point.. atleast the game isnt to easy
Post Tue Apr 30, 2002 8:38 am

Danicek
The Old One
The Old One

Well RagnaRok I have feeling this one was only hard place in whole game. At least on normal difficulty.
Post Tue Apr 30, 2002 9:07 am
Nazgul
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

quote:
quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I do not pause, I just go straight forward
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Then you're missing out on a whole different experience of DS.

Pausing it like that makes it a strategy game, if i wanted that i would play TA.
Post Sun May 05, 2002 6:17 am
EmperorRob
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Actually, I find the follow command to be the biggest problem. By turning it off I am able to divide & conquer. Flame throwers suck b/c they hit everyone and do major damage. I have my Nature Mage way in the back cast Healing Wind.

If you can, try not to put your party in one location. Divide them into 3 groups:

.....................................Fighters

Combat Mage/Archer

.....................................Nature Mage

That makes the enemy target one group, usually the one in front. You may have to ressurect a char if the fight gets nasty. Aim for the flamethrowers first. Then flying lightning dudes.
Post Sun May 05, 2002 6:22 pm
Michael C
Black Dragon
Black Dragon

Regarding the Goblin/platform problem there is another way! You just put your toughest character on the platform and let her/him ride once over and immidiately back again. Then send over the platform over to the monsters without any of your characters. Send one of your characters to the edge where you can see the other side there the monsters are. Some of the monsters will approach the platform, and you just send the platform back to your side, and finish of the monsters who have entered it. Repeat until the hordes grow thin on the other side, and send over all your characters to finish the rest off.
In combat, you put ofcourse your tough melee fighters in front, but in larger fights its also important that they got all your opponents attention, and not your rangers/mages. So stand ground with your melee fighters up front until your have all opponents melee fighters attention, then rush with only your melee fighters to every opponents range/magic user one at a time and eliminate them first. Their melee fighters will follow your melee fighters while you go for their ranged attackers. in the meantime your combat spell casters cast area damage spells on the big crowd around your melee fighters, and your nature magic users heals the melee fighters.
Post Mon May 06, 2002 9:22 am

Goto page Previous  1, 2