Network Steriods?
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > RPGDot

Author Thread
Acleacius
King of the Realms
King of the Realms

Network Steriods?

Wow, whats going on the connection to the US just got EXTREMLY FAST!
I was first floored by the main page that normally loaded in about 5 sec now loads in 1 second.
Then I checked the forums, which has always been slower 10 to 15 seconds (even with cable modem speed) now loads with Blazing Speed 1 to 2 seconds?

So what happened?
New OC 12s or did someone find the Moth stuck in the relays?

Thanks for the Juice!
Post Sat Feb 11, 2006 1:17 am
Dhruin
Stranger In A Strange Land
Stranger In A Strange Land

Hmm...I'm not seeing much different and we haven't made any recent changes I know of. But thanks - hope it stays fast for you.
Post Sat Feb 11, 2006 4:08 am
bigvinz
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Hmmm... I don't have a problem with this forum. Well maybe it's your network connection?
Post Wed Feb 15, 2006 5:27 am
Danicek
The Old One
The Old One

quote:
Originally posted by bigvinz
Hmmm... I don't have a problem with this forum. Well maybe it's your network connection?

He was talking about too fast, not too slow network :].
Post Wed Feb 15, 2006 7:45 am
Acleacius
King of the Realms
King of the Realms

It did not last, just guessing maybe I was the only one logged on for 10 or 15 min at that point in time.

"bigvinz"

Think most of us experencing slower speeds are overseas, it really is not a problem just slower than most.
It is something I have gotten used too, so it was really a shock to have super speed there for a few moments.

My connection/IP probably is the greatest but it is at least average.
Time Warner offers us 5 meg down for under $30 US and is boosting that to 10 meg down before the end of the year for no extra charge.

Of course, here in the US (not sure in Europe) we are very severly limited by upload speeds, not horrible but not very good, around 256 up, if I recall.
Post Wed Feb 22, 2006 10:31 pm
Danicek
The Old One
The Old One

quote:
Originally posted by Acleacius
Of course, here in the US (not sure in Europe) we are very severly limited by upload speeds, not horrible but not very good, around 256 up, if I recall.

You all lucky. The most widely used is still dial-up modem (56 Kb) here in eastern (central) Europe (Czech republic). Relativelly affordable is also ASDL connection with 256/64 Kb speed. If you need anything more, you have to pay far too much.
Post Thu Feb 23, 2006 7:53 am
Acleacius
King of the Realms
King of the Realms

"The most widely used is still dial-up modem (56 Kb"

Those are defianlty frustrating, though I hear the growth/upgraded equipment factor is much faster in Eastern Euro.
If I recall it took almost a year for us to go from 14.4kb to 28.8kb and then again to 56.6kb.
Post Mon Mar 06, 2006 9:52 pm
Danicek
The Old One
The Old One

Yes, we develop probably faster. However this is cripled by tendency to support monopoly in the area of telecommunications (so called Telecom owned by Telefonica (from France) is successor of former communist state owned company).

To tell the true, monopoly in this area is quite widely spread tradition in Europe (France is an example). Yet with need of rapid growth, it is slowing everything down.
Post Tue Mar 07, 2006 9:41 am
Acleacius
King of the Realms
King of the Realms

Yeah that sucks, you guys from Europe to the East have huge potiencal for growth, I am surprised the EU lets France get away with bogging down the growth.
Hell, it would only make everyone involved be more powerful market force the quicker you guys get connected, perferable fiber so you dont have to redo everything in 5 years once an old copper based system got overloaded.
Post Sun Mar 12, 2006 6:37 am