Craftmanship skills?
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > MMORPGs General

Author Thread
Guybrush Threepwood
High Emperor
High Emperor

Craftmanship skills?

Ok....I'm the type of person who enjoys making things in online games.. I find it enjoyable to put alot of work into something and coming out with a finished product that was alot of fun making as it was seeing how it turned out.... however sometimes I like to make a little profit so I can continue crafting things....are there any mmorpgs that have a balanced system? EQ had a nice thing going until they decided to make it a waste of money to pursue certain craftmanship skills....like brewing fine drinks... the npc vendor charged more for the ingredients than you recieved in payment for the finished product. Yea I know the arguement for player based economies but players aren't gonna always want to buy things that are fun to make and are entirelely useless in nature....I was playing Anarchy Online and did the trader class and tried making stuff but traders were severely underpowered when it came to combat and combat was the only way to get experience.....no combining things for experience doesn't count.... so any suggestions besides EQ and Anarchy Online?
Post Thu Jan 16, 2003 11:40 am
vaticide
Put food in here
Put food in here

Ultima Online had a great crafting system- I had a grandmaster smith and made untold riches crafting items both to sell to vendors (initially) and then to players. Not only that but I had fun doing it. Asheron's Call 2 has a decent crafting system but you won't really make money unless you are selling to players.

-vaticide
Post Thu Jan 16, 2003 4:44 pm
Ekim
Eagle's Shadow
Eagle's Shadow

Vaticide speaks the truth. In fact, I don't think that many games after UO ever came close to having a better craft system. Still, DAoC has profitable crafting possibilities, and AC2 has some as well. Onlly I still didn't crack the AC2 craft system yet, I don't really understand it... Lower tier recipes are made of entirely looted items that you get from killing monsters. There's no money involved at all. But the higher you get, the more costly the recipes become, asking you for actual gold to complete on top of the loot items.

I'm not entirely sure anyone can make a viable merchant in AC2. In any case, I can't see why anyone would go out of their way to sell crafted items for gold in AC2 since gold has little other value than to buy other rare items... Maybe I just miss the point though

Earth&Beyond's craft system was highly flawed at launch as well, although I haven't played since, so maybe they fixed it. I never tried EQ. And AO, well forget about it Your best bet for a successful merchant would be DAoC in my opinion, unless you want to go down memory lane and go for UO.

Edited to correct some spelling mistakes...
Post Thu Jan 16, 2003 8:00 pm
MoonDragon
High Emperor
High Emperor

A Tale In The Desert.
Post Fri Jan 17, 2003 6:06 pm
Xanaki
Ghost of Asheron
Ghost of Asheron

A Tale in the Desert is all about crafting. However, not everyone wants to spend their time 100% in crafting and manufacturing.

I urge you to check out Realms of Torment (beta starting very soon, 19th).

It should have something for crafters too.
Post Fri Jan 17, 2003 7:21 pm