MOD Problems
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Neverwinter Nights - General

Author Thread
corwin
On the Razorblade of Life

MOD Problems

Just to let people know. If you have HOU, but don't have SOU, it seems you will have problems trying to play any of the mods created for HOU. They all use some of the SOU toolset, so without that game installed you won't be able to play them. I have emailed Bioware about this issue and I'm hopeful they will respond. However, they're likely to say it's not their problem. I am playing version 1.61, so that isn't the problem either.

I don't use Smileys, I use Emoticons!!

Post Fri Jan 16, 2004 2:19 am
Val
Risen From Ashes
Risen From Ashes

If the individual that created the mod has one of the expansions installed, then the mod gets "tagged" for that expansion. If they have both installed, then it's probably tagged for both.
Post Fri Jan 16, 2004 11:50 am
konny666
Noble Knight
Noble Knight

Re: MOD Problems

quote:
Originally posted by corwin
Just to let people know. If you have HOU, but don't have SOU, it seems you will have problems trying to play any of the mods created for HOU. They all use some of the SOU toolset, so without that game installed you won't be able to play them. I have emailed Bioware about this issue and I'm hopeful they will respond. However, they're likely to say it's not their problem. I am playing version 1.61, so that isn't the problem either.

no, that isn't quite true.

i have some mods here which were compiled (i.e. Saved in the Toolset) under a "NWN + HotU v1.61" setup, and they'll work perfectly fine on my box which has just NWN/HotU 161 installed. NO SOU.

the thing is, the vast majority of people who have HotU, *also* have SoU, so whenever they save a mod in the toolset it gets tagged as requiring both. even if its just a BLANK INN ROOM with NOTHING in it!

how to solve this problem? well, since EVERYONE these days has HUGE hard drives, install NWN multiple times in different directories! use whichever "version" of NWN to build your module, keeping in mind what you want your target audience to be.

so you can keep NWN + SOU + HOTU v1.61 for your own purposes
and a NWN basic v1.32 for building a mod...

or something like that.

Note: at the Vault, you'll find a bunch of modules tagged "HotU 1.61" in the "version" field. That is misleading! Since there is no "SOU + HOTU" option, most SOU + HOTU modules choose the first one.
Post Thu Jan 22, 2004 1:17 am
corwin

Actually Konny, the ever resourceful Temptress was able to find me a much better solution. Using a GFF editor for NWN, which is a small download from the Neverwinter vault you can re-flaga mod so it doesn't need SOU unless it actually uses the SOU toolset. It takes seconds to use and works wonderfully. If anyone needs help doing this, just ask and I'll give you complete instructions. I'm not very technical, but I had no problem doing it.

Post Thu Jan 22, 2004 4:53 am
konny666
Noble Knight
Noble Knight

yes, you can do that. but my method is more idiot-proof. see with yours, if you mistakenly end up using a SOU resource (such as a placeable - those are not marked which expansion they were added in) you can cause problems with people who dont have access to that resource, i.e. no sou. "cause problems" can even get as serious as crashing nwmain.exe ...

there's also the little trick you can do swapping around those xp1.key, xp2.key, chitin.key files in your NWN base directory. for example if you temporarily move the xp2.key and xp2patch.key files out of the NWN directory... your toolset will block all access to XP2 things and when it saves a mod it won't tag it as requiring xp2! Indeed i think this is perhaps the most idiot-proof and safest way to go about doing this.
Post Thu Jan 22, 2004 8:49 am
corwin

You're probably correct, if you're making mods, but I only play them!! Usually online with the friendly people at RPGDot!!

Post Sat Jan 24, 2004 9:23 am
konny666
Noble Knight
Noble Knight

if you play mods with the same group of people online, as a sort of regular thing, my recommendation would be to have the DM/builder disable XP2 (hordes) features whenever he goes into the toolset to make the .MOD. so i think now i understand why you posted your question in the first place...
Post Sat Jan 24, 2004 7:07 pm