If you thought Tolkien was good....check this out
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Books & Movies

Author Thread
wacko3
Village Leader
Village Leader

If you thought Tolkien was good....check this out

the guy is Terry Goodkind , The books: a series of books called The sword of truth
each book pocket-size is on average 800 pages there ( i thnik now) 6-7 books all following the previous book'story.

IMO those books are way better then LOTR , easier to read .. tho easier doesnt mean less quality.

Everything makes sence even the magic. there a logical explanation for it
example: freezing someone in place...thats making the air around the person so dence that he can more ....being able to grow a beard but not making it vanish...thats add elements to an already existing on( sorry cant explain it better)

The psycology of the caracters are elaborate and gives them a life of their own.
The story in itself is really addictive.
I could say a lot more but you guys should give it a try , i you have time on your hands that is cuz 6-7 books of 800pages each is a lto to read, altho i should mention that each book as an ending and u dont have to read the others.

The first installement of this great series is Wizard's first rule

I highly recommend it to anyone who remotly likes fantasy books
Post Wed Jan 26, 2005 2:49 pm
Danicek
The Old One
The Old One

Guess, I'll give it a try.
Post Thu Jan 27, 2005 9:15 am
Arma
Mysterious Lady
Mysterious Lady

While I admit I haven't actually read Goodkind's books, I hear that he is pretty mediocre in his earlier books, that becoming outright terrible in his later books. But I already said that I haven't read them, and now you know the reason why. Somewhat on par with all the francize books like the DnD Drizzt series by I forgot who, and similar
On the other hand, I am no big fan of Tolien either. While I give him some credit as the "father of fantasy", I do think that at some places the LotR is quite boring, but that is my own opinion. And I should say that in my view, LotR is not fantasy, rather than mythology.
Since you look like to be new to fantasy, wacko3, I'd like to recommend you reading Jordan's Wheel of Time series (quite the soap opera, but nice for beginners), Erikson's Malazan series (while I haven't actually read that, I am being told repeatedly that it is outstanding), Martin Scott's Thraxas books (these are not the typical fantasy I admit, but they are short, good and most importantly, quite fun to read).
Post Thu Jan 27, 2005 10:46 am
Kendrik
Thin Blue Line
Thin Blue Line

quote:
Originally posted by Lady Armageddona
Somewhat on par with all the francize books like the DnD Drizzt series by I forgot who, and similar.

Woah there Lady A

I like the Drizzt Books altough some are better than others. Personally my favourite of the series is Servant of the Shard which doesn't actually feature Drizzt. But then I'm a Drow Fan - I prefer the evil ones though Have you tried the War of the Spider Queen Series they are fantastic, I can't wait for the final book to be available in the UK.
~~Champion of the (Unofficial) RPGdot Text Signature Contest 2002~~
Post Thu Jan 27, 2005 12:44 pm
Arma
Mysterious Lady
Mysterious Lady

I actually haven't read the Drizzt books either, and, to tell you the truth, I don't plan to. Maybe I am just no Drow fan
And while most of the time these days I read books in English, I resort to this only if the books are translated bad into Bulgarian, or not available. And the Drizzt series were only recently picked up by a local publisher.
Post Thu Jan 27, 2005 1:10 pm
vaticide
Put food in here
Put food in here

Let me put my opinion out here:

On his best day Terry Goodkind can't hold a candle to Tolkien.

The books aren't very good, every time I finished one I had the overwhelming feeling of, "That was a waste."

My humble suggestion is: don't bother.

The books do have some merit, you will get some entertainment from them, and it will last a while due to the length of the books. Also, because they are often 1000+ pages, they can be used for things such as: stopping bullets, hurling at muggers, survival fire-starter, filling empty bookshelves, the list goes on!

-vaticide
Post Thu Jan 27, 2005 6:06 pm
Val
Risen From Ashes
Risen From Ashes

While I like Goodkind's books, I'm finding it harder to get through the more recent ones. Faith of the Fallen was the last one that I got excited reading. They just don't catch my interest anymore.
Post Thu Jan 27, 2005 10:00 pm
Ican
Captain of the Guard
Captain of the Guard

Whether an author's style is appreciated or not is very dependent on the reader. In my opinion unless you read some pages in a bookshop , or have found online references from people you trust ( or KNOW have similar preferences to yourself ) then you just can't tell.

Personally, I tend not to like "munchkinesque" fantasy so the vast majority of D&D novels are immediately out of the picture. Some of R.A.Salvatores' stuff is actually fairly decent ( particularly the early novels like Icewind Dale Trilogy ) but I would still consider it high fantasy ...of a pulp nature.

I personally feel that Terry Goodkind falls somewhere between this and more "adult" fantasy. Other authors I would place in a similar stance would by Raymond Feist, Terry Brooks and Robert Jordan ( I really can't stand his novels ... far too heavy on un-necessary descriptive text ! ).

If you want a more mature, gritty realistic edge to your fantasy then I wholeheartedly recommend G.R.R Martin. As mentioned by someone else in this thread Steven Erikson is also excellent. Please try and check out Guy Gavriel too ....

Hope this provides you with some pointers for future reading
Post Fri Jan 28, 2005 6:36 pm
Namirrha
Noble Knight
Noble Knight

This is going to come off harsh, because Goodkind is one of the three fantasy authors I really don't like. You might want to stop reading and scamper off at this point if you're a Goodkind fan (but remember this is all a matter of personal taste). I've read three of Goodkind's books.

I would say that Goodkind falls...flat on his face. I gave him a try along with Robert Jordan several years ago. While Goodkind does have his moments, my enjoyment was deadened by his muddled characters, stilted dialogue, and heavy-handed questionable ethics/morals.

I found his characters hopelessly muddled in every respect--shallow, cliche, and inconsistent. For example, I found it hard to sympathize with Richard's "righteous fury" (what I'd call a psychotic bloodlust; e.g., there was one fight in the first book where he enjoyed the taste of his enemy's blood) and undeserved windfalls (girl, inheritance, etc.). A "true" hero ought to earn his or her keep, not just hit jackpot because he blunders his way into good fortune. That sets up a comedy, not a dramatic epic, and takes the "simple country boy becomes superstar hero" story a little too far. A simpleton/psycho does not a hero make.

I don't demand great writing in all that I read, but I expect entertaining and captivating writing. Goodkind's dialogue reminds me of Edding's writing, which I do not want to be reminded of. I expect fictional adults to act, think, and speak like other adults I know; in other words, I want them to be believable. Yes, I realize it's set in "olden times" in a far land with magic, but that's no excuse to have characters deliver deadpan lines. There is no sparkle, no amazement, and no promise to his dialogue. It works, but it's boring; uneventful and uninsightful.

On Goodkind's morals. I noticed this a bit in his first book, but it was one of his later books where I remember a sermon most vividly. He'd reconstructed the Clnton and Monica Lewinsky scandal in his fictional world using some semi-important/worthless bureaucratic character and a young girl. This bureacrat's actions, words, and whole feel were undeniably that of Clinton. I understand Goodkind's intentions and outrage, but, frankly, I did not want to read pages and pages of Goodkind's preaching. It seemed ironic that Goodkind had lavished excruciating detail on this character's sexual escapades, yet clearly the author abhorred the real-life act. Keep (then) current events and scandals out of my fiction, thank-you-very-much, unless you, Mr. Goodkind, find a better way to convince me of your position without beating me over the head through a thinly masked and silly subplot.

OK, I'll cage the literary critic. Goodkind reminds me of much that I dislike in current fantasy.
Post Sat Jan 29, 2005 6:55 am
wacko3
Village Leader
Village Leader

All you ppl who hate goodkind actually have a good smart opinion on it so i respect that ...i guess i enjoyed those books cuz i pretty much never read and i dont know abotu litterature.... ALSO im french and not perfectly bilangual i learn english way back when i was playing snes ans watching fresh prince of bel air...so my english comes from TV and general culture if i can say it like that

i actually read more in english in my life then french ... but having basic english knowledge u can understand why i have trouble reading Tolkien... and i didnt try it in french and i dont really have time to anymore anyways .....

well anyways thx all for sharing this thread with me ill keep note of your suggestions for futur reference
Post Sun Jan 30, 2005 10:27 pm
RPG Frog
Blade Runner
Blade Runner

I read Wizard's First Rule. I did not like the writing at all. I loved the ending though. Mostly, I felt he used sex/violence as cheap thrills or shock tactics. I found his writing inconsistent. Though if you love his books you should by all means read them. My opinion is just my opinion. We all love different stuff!

I felt he stole ideas from

Robert Jordan(Sister's of Light & Dark)
But I ask myself, did Jordan steal the Aes Sedai and Black Ajah from Herbert's Dune. Bene Gesserit and the Witches?

I like really detailed fantasy such as...

J.R.R. Tolkien - Middle Earth
Robert Jordan - Wheel of Time
Steven Erickson - Malazan Book of the Fallen

fast paced fantasy such as...
Terry Brooks - Shannara
RA Salvatore - Forgotten Realms

Dark Fantasy/Pulp Writers
RE Howard - Conan
Clark Ashton Smith
Michael Moorcock - Elric
Karl Edward Wagner - Kane

Between the years when the oceans drank Atlantis and the gleaming cities…there was an Age undreamed of, when shining kingdoms lay spread across the world like blue mantles beneath the stars…Hither came Conan, the Cimmerian, black-haired, sullen-eyed, sword in hand…to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandaled feet. - Robert E. Howard
Post Wed Feb 09, 2005 4:27 am
CIACinderella
Village Leader
Village Leader

I'd also have to say I find Tolkein to be a much better writer than Goodkind. But than, I haven't just read LOTR. I've also read The Silmarillion and the Unfinished Tales, thus sealing my fate in nerd-dom forever.
I have read a few of Goodkind's books, including a collaboration he did with Neil Gaiman, but felt them all to be pop fantasy, at best. Personally, I also felt that Gaiman's normally exceptional writing was dragged down by Goodkind. So I guess I'm in the "non-Goodkind-liking" category as well.
What (to me) seperates Tolkein from everyone else is the fact that he created his own unique world and history. LOTR is just a result of everything else he wrote; not the basis for his other books.
Post Thu Feb 10, 2005 10:04 am
dteowner
Shoegazer
Shoegazer

I keep buying Goodkind's books, and keep wondering why. I stopped enjoying the stories after book 3 or 4, but I've bought several more. I've got one in my drawer right now; I think it's been there for nearly a year now.

That said, I thought the first few books were quite good. Nothing that "changed the face of literature", but certainly worth the time and money.
RIP Red Wings How 'Bout Dem Cowboys!
Post Tue Feb 15, 2005 3:18 am