Screenshots
   Videos

Miscellaneous
   Staff Members
   Privacy Statement

FAQ
Members
Usergroups
Loved Divine Divinity, Hate Beyond Divinity + Questions.
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Divinity & Beyond Divinity

Author Thread
Paul999999
Leader of the Senate
Leader of the Senate

Loved Divine Divinity, Hate Beyond Divinity + Questions.

Well i played Divine Divinity Awile ago i really liked it the engine the combat everything although later in the game it kinda got crappy with all those death knights and stupid monsters and stuff but i really liked alot of the areas alot of the music is very nice and i liked the 2d graphics they were nice when you see jewels or gold shinning it looked nice although later in the game i had serious problems and the final boss was impossible to beat i had to use invisible potions and use my secondary attack with my warrior lol.

But onto Beyond Divinity i havent played the full version just the demo but the first thing i hate about this game is being bound to a Death Knight i hate controlling the two characters i wanted to be bymyself just like the first game i hate controlling a party and other characters it feels wierd you move much slower the combat doesnt seem to work properly alot of trial and error to click on the enemy for him to actually start fighting the computer ai on agressive fights and the other one just seems to mop around and its a challange just being able to click on an enemy because they move so fast and you got the other idiot to control really hate adding two characters like this They shoulda just made Divine Divinity 2.

Next thing i dont like about this game is the setting its all dark evil looking crap i mean i like this kind of stuff if it looks good but this is some really ugly boring looking crap big areas of grey with lava i saw screenshots big looking mushrooms i think the devs were smoking some mushrooms themself

Also the music isnt very good / memorable like the first game but i only played the demo for an hour so i cant say 100% on the rest.

I also picked the Warrior character and he doesnt seem to have any special moves or anything all you can do is just click on enemies and use you're weapon? I looked in skills and all i can do is level up one handed sword , two handed sword just for more attack damage and being able to repair weapons is this all you can do with the warrior? no flash cool powerful moves nothing? The secondary was swing but it doesnt seem to do anything in combat I was swining around like a retard and it doesnt do anything lol.

I didnt play much of the demo so im just wondering IYO does it get better? Do the areas get better? Did you get use to controlling both characters?

How long is the game? how long did it take you to beat it and does any one know how long it would take to beat it by doing every quest?

and is the final boss harder then the one in the first game?

Cause im pretty bored and i think i might give the game a chance and buy it and try the whole thing but i just REALLY hate controlling 2 game characters completly ruined this game for me but oh well i hope they dont do that with divine divinity 2 lol.

Ok well thats all if you can answer any of those questions that'd be great looks like no one posts on these boards any more and im only gonna buy the game if its $20 or less (i live in canada so i doubt it prolly $30 or $40 :|)
Post Thu Sep 29, 2005 2:40 am
Myrthos
Spoiler of All Fun
Spoiler of All Fun

The lava setting is only in the first part of the first level. The rest of that level is like a dungeon though. The next levels bring much more variety including the large mushrooms.

The problem with clicking on your enemy to start fighting has been solved in the released game.

You can automatie the behaviour of the deathknight by right cliking on its image and selecting a default behaviour. In that case you don't need to contorl him anymore. Later on in the game you actually need to control them individually once or twice. But most of the tim I only controlled the main character and had the DK follow me.

You have to learn skills in BD and your path is not limited to the Warrior path. You can choose from any skill that is available. Learning a skill is done from books or finding a teacher. There aer roughly the same skills as in Divinity.
The secondary attack can be any skill you like. It defaults to swinging around with a sword. It is the same secondary attack you also had in Divinity.

It takes a lot of time to do the game with all the quests, although not as much as Divinity I think.

For more information you can always look things up in the guide I made with a few others (including the developers themselves) for Beyond Divinity.
...you won't have to unbookmark this site, we'll unbookmark you. - Val
Reports Myrthos for making me scared and humbled at the mere sight of his name - kayla
Post Thu Sep 29, 2005 10:25 am
Paul999999
Leader of the Senate
Leader of the Senate

thats good i didnt know any of that im glad they fixed it up alot, Well i thought i'd give it a try i bought it only place that had it was Walmart it was $36.86 plus tax it came to 41 or 42$ cant remember its not alot so it wont kill me.

I'll play it soon and post back and post my thoughts on it later if i remember.
Post Fri Sep 30, 2005 2:30 am
Val
Risen From Ashes
Risen From Ashes

Be sure to patch the game before you start playing. The crashes ruined the game for me.
Post Thu Oct 06, 2005 11:21 pm
thartanian
Guards Lieutenant
Guards Lieutenant

I agree with you Paul. I loved DD and hated BD. Maybe controlling two peeps at once is what did it. The BD engine kinda seems a little cheaper and downsized than the one in DD. Overall, just didn't like it.
Post Sat Oct 15, 2005 6:50 am
DaGirl
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

I'm another one who loved DD and hated BD. I don't like being bound to the DeathKnight, but that didn't bother me as much as the game environment. After reading Myrthos's post above I'm thinking that maybe I just didn't play far enough to give it a fair chance, so now I'm considering reinstalling it. lol, maybe I'm just craving any kind of divinity to tide me over until there's some news about DD2 (I played through DD way too many times to replay it again).
Post Tue May 16, 2006 1:07 pm