Usergroups
Arx Fatalis demo :-)
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Arx Fatalis

Author Thread
Jay
Fearless Paladin
Fearless Paladin

Press 'I' and your Inventory comes up. Move what you want into the Inventory. Again, I found that aspect WAY too fiddly.
Post Sat Mar 02, 2002 9:54 pm
Rendelius
Critical Error
Critical Error

I think that AF has potential, great potential. It still looks a bit unpolished, though. The demo probably barely scratches the surface of what is in the game. Being able to cook, to combine items, to have quite some freedom of action is nice.

We'll put up a demo review pretty soon...
Post Sat Mar 02, 2002 10:02 pm
Aelhyn
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

Shift + left-click on an item to put it immediately in your inventory.

The game is cool and all, but I agree with Rendiepoo here, it seems rather unpolished...
Post Sat Mar 02, 2002 10:43 pm
Rendelius
Critical Error
Critical Error

Demo Review up now:

http://www.rpgdot.com/index.php?hsaction=10053&ID=271
Post Sat Mar 02, 2002 11:17 pm
Michael C
Black Dragon
Black Dragon

Liked the demo, this game defently got potential. Their is a lot of ways to get/make yourself a meal ( chicken, pig, bread, fish etc.) The combat is very close to the Ultima Underworld games, fun!
Apart from the few crashes to the desktop when loading a game, I hope the following issues will be corrected/implemented:

- Quick-save/load option.
- Better mouse-control when using magic. Seems like the mouse is jammed sometimes (not smooth movement), which sometimes result in bad drawing.
- Miss the turn left/right on the keyboard when I search a room!
- Miss the powermeter for your blows with your weapon (UU1 + 2).
- Automatic stacking of items in your inventory.
- A compress inventory button, which moves all your inventory as close as it gets for better utilization. (Diablo 2)
- Be able to set marks on your automap for marking places/things.

Can't wait for the game to release! :smile:

[ This Message was edited by: Michael C on 2002-03-05 03:25 ]
Post Tue Mar 05, 2002 9:23 am
Michael C
Black Dragon
Black Dragon

BTW: Rendelius: Your review on the demo is very good, and hit the issues good as bad right on IMHO!
Post Tue Mar 05, 2002 12:15 pm

Left click + right shift on an object will put this object straight into your inventory.
Post Tue Mar 05, 2002 12:41 pm

Danicek
The Old One
The Old One

Nice demo. This game looks great. I really look forward to it.
I will buy it and try it as soon as it will be out.
I really like graphics and firstperson view. I am not really sure about fights, but maybe after some time I will learn it.
Post Tue Mar 05, 2002 2:01 pm
Michael C
Black Dragon
Black Dragon

Yes, the sword swinging technic needs a little getting used to! But like the Ultima underworld games it really creates some very intensive fights, and you will very soon master your sword/weapon.
Post Tue Mar 05, 2002 2:15 pm
Llama
High Emperor
High Emperor

Athlon 800
512 megs RAM
Voodoo 5 5500

*Demo installed fine.
*First part of opening sequence ran ok, but then all these funk colors starting scrambling across the screen.
*Created character without any problems, but game was unplayable due to the inability to SEE the game world due to some strange texture issue.

Good job not even testing a demo with various video cards before releasing it to the public. *rollseyes*

I'll wait for Morrowind.
Post Fri Mar 08, 2002 11:06 pm
Danicek
The Old One
The Old One

I have not problems with my GForce2GTS and TBird 850.
Post Sat Mar 09, 2002 8:41 am
Joey Nipps
Orcan High Command
Orcan High Command

It has wonderful ambiance - BUT it has a hell of a way to go to make it playable.

Save routine doesn't work at times - sometimes when I go to save the save at the bottom is greyed out and I have to go all the way out and move my character around a bit to get it to save the game. It MUST work easily.

VERY clumsy combination of mouse clicks to move, look around and fight.

Once you open an npc inventory (once it is dead) his inventory doesn't close up when you move away - it just stays open cluttering up the screen. You are forced to double click on the body again to close it up. VERY not good.

Loading times from saved game or to a new section of the game are VERY long.

It has dumped me to desktop several times now for no apparent reason.

If you pick up an item and move it (also very clumsy), the item will happily hang suspended in air (I did this with the rock in the opening cell several times). BAD.

Lip synch is horrible - totally breaks the mood. I would rather have NO lip movement than this poor version.

Character making is SOOOOO slow because they have made the time between allowable mouse clicks to great. It takes a long time just to add a few points to a single stat - it should go fast if you want it to.

There is no way I have found from the keyboard to turn your character left and right - this makes for even harder movement, positioning and battle since everything must be done with the mouse.

As far as I can tell, there is no "highlighting" of actionable objects when you are in movement mode. You have to stop, click a bunch of times to get in the right mode and then you can check to see if an object is actionable. This is very, very clumsy and time consuming - it will become very obnoxious in a long game. Actionable items should highlight as soon as they are center of your screen regardless of the mode you are in.

Post Mon Mar 18, 2002 2:14 am
ffbj
High Emperor
High Emperor

Some good points there Joey. After Gothic it seems rather clunky. Though I did like the atmosphere, and the graphics. The combat seemed rather simplistic. Also not being able to turn without the mouse. Sometimes difficult to tell where you are being attacked from. Needs work, but it does have potential.
Post Mon Mar 18, 2002 4:29 am

Goto page Previous  1, 2