LOOK! They keep the rain off ok?
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > CRPGs General

Author Thread
Badger
Stripey Forest Dweller
Stripey Forest Dweller

LOOK! They keep the rain off ok?

Can we establish to begin, that someone who indulges in tabletop wargames or Dragons and Dungeons, is an Anorak?

Ok. That definition set, I'd like to ask you how for down that rocky road, you can go before you actually become one of the aforementioned water resistant items of clothing.

1/ You have always been facinated by the idea of Tabletop roleplaying. But never actually took part.
2/ Your imagination is captured by the idea of the roleplaying aspect and the minatures. But you never took part.
3/ After years of staring in through "Games Workshop" (and equivelant) windows. You finally took the plunge and bought a "Warhammer" set. But only to paint them and make some scenery. You have no intention of Actually taking part.
4/ Having emabrked on the above painting project. Someone buys you a copy of "White Dwarf" which you didnt really want.
5/ Having embarked on the above painting project. You bought yourself a copy of "White Dwarf", but hated it.
6/ Having emabrked on the above painting project. You bought yourself a copy of "White Dwarf". You rather enjoyed the battle reports and went on to buy a copy of "Warhammer Monthly"
7/ "Warhammer Monthly" is a comic.
8/ "Warhammer Monthly" is a graphic novel!
9/ Most of the above applies to you, but you are adament that you will NEVER actually take part.

Right then. What is your assessment please, of the individual in question, who in order to spare social stigma, we will call Badg... er .....Boris.

All the best

Badger
Post Wed Apr 24, 2002 12:51 pm

After consulting with solicitors. I should like to formerly Disassociate myself from any use of the tern "Anorak" in the previous post. I should also like to take this oppertunity to point out that views expressed therein or conclusions drawn fron said text, do not nessessarily reflect the views of the management.

Thankyou

Badger
Post Wed Apr 24, 2002 2:15 pm

gandalf970
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Anorak

What actually is an Anorak? I have never heard this term before. I looked it up and it is a heavy hooded jacket. But why are roleplayers labeled this way??
Post Wed Apr 24, 2002 7:19 pm
Jaz
Late Night Spook
Late Night Spook

Hmmm... Badger must be referring to those sociopaths wearing anoraks .
I'm a table top wargamer and an avid pen&paper RPGer, and I never wore an anorak in all my life...
Badger, take a heart and play!

...by the way, it's bit Off Topic for Dungeon Siege.
Post Wed Apr 24, 2002 7:28 pm
Danicek
The Old One
The Old One

Yes Jaz, I will move it into General CRPG talk.
Post Wed Apr 24, 2002 8:13 pm
Badger
Stripey Forest Dweller
Stripey Forest Dweller

Sorry Guys, I am terrible for "Off Topic" posts. I don't read all the different forums, I tend to make a home in one at a time. I start to get to know the folks there, and then post something to them, forgetting that I am actually in a themed forum. D'OH!

That said though, this was actually meant as a humorous follow on, from a post I replied to on the DS forum, asking who plays tabletop RPG these days. So as that one seems to have been ok, Perhaps you will forgive the old Badger this time.

Gandalf, "Anorak" is one of those terms that has become part of the National vocabulary in the UK. But in truth I can't say for sure how it comes about. I think though, that it has to do with the phenomenon of "Train Spotting" which a little unkindly, has the reputation of being the ultimate in Geekiness.

An outdoor pursuit, its proponents need a sturdy weatherproof garment to keep the chill at bay. LOL... how many of them actually did ever wear "Anoraks" I couldn't say. None the less it remains the word of choice when it comes to the unenlightened, describing any hobby that they might consider overly Geeky or Anal in nature.

But as self stated king of the closet Anoraks, I don't mean to use the term in an offensive way So I hope any of you reading this, will have taken it in the spirit it was intended

All the best

Badger
Post Thu Apr 25, 2002 9:28 am
Danicek
The Old One
The Old One

Hehe, you are still in one forum. We are small and there is not too much people, same here, same in DS forum .

There is nothing to forgive. You give me chance to use my magical mod stick (button) .
Post Thu Apr 25, 2002 9:31 am