View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Arx Fatalis

Author Thread
nmatch39
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

The GOLDEN YLSIDE and Instant Death

Thanks in advance for any replies.

Just wondering if anyone out there knows how to summon the golden ylside without dying instantly. I've searched through the posts and tried creating a field, but I still die. I've also tried running as far away as possible before it appears but I still die as soon as goldy takes shape.

Anyone have any ideas? I've really been looking forward to this fight.
Post Tue Jun 15, 2004 5:28 pm
Scrib
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

Are you talking about the summon perfect warrior cheat/rune combo?

I'm curious, if you summon it around enemies, will it go after them?

--SJ
Post Wed Jun 16, 2004 1:56 am
nmatch39
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

I'm not sure if it's a perfect warrior cheat or not.

It's <mega, mega, mega, aam, vitae, tera>.

If your spellcasting isn't high enough you'll sometimes raise a chicken and sometimes a giant golden rat.
If it is high enough you're supposed to get a golden ylside.
Only problem is that when it appears, it casts that instant death spell that the lichs cast...only this one kills you right away whereas with the lichs you have a chance to drink a health potion.
Post Wed Jun 16, 2004 6:23 am
nmatch39
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

That golden rat by the way....is a splendid way to level up to lvl 10. 1000 exp. points if you can kill it. It takes anywhere from 25-35 full hits with the meteor sword to kill it.
Post Wed Jun 16, 2004 6:27 am
Scrib
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

Whoa. hope it's got some nice ribs (golden ribs?)

I killed a rat man on level 7, and I could get ribs off it- Imagine, you are doing this for real, after killing that dude, would you really go off and butcher it and get it's ribs out to eat? That's really freakin' morbid.

Anyway, for your problem, you could try Infinite Hit Points:

"Mega", "Mega", "Mega", "Mega", "Mega", "Kaom".

--SJ
Post Wed Jun 16, 2004 5:49 pm
nmatch39
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

I tried <mega, mega, mega, mega, mega, kaom> but nothing happened. I just got the failed spell sound.
Post Wed Jun 16, 2004 6:31 pm
thrash3002
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

Does anyone have any idea as to how much life/ armour the dragon has? and how much xp u get for kiling her?

that's one creature u don't deal with using a bow and a couple of arrows, caz it takes a couple of thousand arrows i reckon, even when poisoned.. first time i had 2 loads of arrows (200), and i spent all of them on it from a safe distance (the opening of the cave, where it'll just keep paralising you, but won't come near you or hit you).. second time, i figured i should be braver, and fight like a man lol, so i tried using magic against it.. shot a couple of fireballs, incinterated it, used lightening strike, but it managed to kill me off by paralizing me and then attacking.. so i tried going invisible and then draining it's mana.. i drained all it's mana, but then if just attacked my a couple of times and then started paralizing me again
Post Sat Jun 26, 2004 5:47 pm
Cm
Sentinel of Light
Sentinel of Light

You will need a sword for this one I think. He is a pain. If you can keep hitting him and survive it he will die and not paralyse you. I stayed on the high ledge just as you enter his chamber, seemed to me that I took less damage that way, and just kept beating on him until he died. It took a good 10 minutes.
Mark Twain
Post Sat Jun 26, 2004 6:26 pm
piln
High Emperor
High Emperor

My most effective tactic against the dragon was to get right next to it (on top of it, practically) and alternately cast health drain and mana drain on it.

You might want to start with mana drain, to prevent it from casting its paralysis spell (maybe it doesn't even try to use it when you are close in, I can't remember). It will undoubtedly be trying to gnaw your face off, so when your health is getting low, cast health drain (you don't have to manually cancel your mana drain spell, iirc this will be done automatically since you can't have both active at once) - wait til your mana is spent (and hopefully your health will now be full) and switch back to mana drain. Repeat til the scaly thing is dead. You could speed things along by repeatedly bashing it over the head while doing the above.

That worked well for me when I played as approx. 70% mage, 30% fighter. I know tactics change a lot depending on your character, but some of you may find this one useful.

[edit]: don't wear your best armour, it'll get chewed! [/edit]
Post Sat Jun 26, 2004 10:52 pm
thrash3002
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

thanx for the replies guys, but i found an awesome way to kill it off, wihich is nice and safe, AND doesn't require much of your mana either

get lord inut's bow.. that's one work of art :Daltho it can be quite buggy.. when i first got it, it would let me use it because it required a projectile of 30+, and i had 37, so technically it should work, but didn't..

but anyway, back to the dragon.. if you get lord inut's bow, it sets your arrows on fire, which is nice since they explode on impact in a similar fashion to fireballs. it also ups your damage factor by 16 even tho it says DMG+6

Also, i think it does tonnes of critical damage, because i kept getting double damage on the poor little scaly thing.. well, actually, the poor BIG scaly thing lol

once again, back to the dragon. i poisoned my arrows, and then kept firing away at the dragon from the opening of it's cave where it can't attack me, but will keep paralising me, which isn't much of a problem if you cast the negate magic spell.. after that, it took me about 15 arrows and it was done for.. amazing

I'm guessing the dragon has a s**tload of armour but not all that much health.. the first time i tried with a normal bow i think i kept getting its armour, since it kept making that noise when u hit a guard's chainmail..

Now i reckon i've found the nicest combo for this game.. get lord inut's bow, and be a mage archer, so you can hack away at creatures from a safe distance with arrows, and if they still manage to get close, just blow them away with fireballs.. those things are nice, especially if you're a high level mage, since you can inflict damage on everything that's in front of you.. when i got to the sister's store room and they all attacked me, i killed 4 out of the 6 with one firball.. the only reason i survived i reckon.. and then after that, it isn't very difficult to slaughter them all if you like being a little evil once in a while before reloading and doing things the RIGHT way lolz

ok that's enough yapping for me

btw, did anyone manage to get lord inut's sword? what's that like?
but try the mage/archer combo.. it's schweet not many people here seem to care much for archery lol
Post Mon Jun 28, 2004 10:09 am
RPG Frog
Blade Runner
Blade Runner

quote:
Originally posted by piln
My most effective tactic against the dragon was to get right next to it (on top of it, practically) and alternately cast health drain and mana drain on it.[/edit]

That was what I did. Problem was that I burned through 20 mana potions. Saved the game cause I was so thrilled with killing her. Then I got to Akbaa with a few vials of Mana and he was one tough-hombre to kill with little magic.

AKBAA is in fact a great boss-fight. He is no pushover like most games.
Between the years when the oceans drank Atlantis and the gleaming cities…there was an Age undreamed of, when shining kingdoms lay spread across the world like blue mantles beneath the stars…Hither came Conan, the Cimmerian, black-haired, sullen-eyed, sword in hand…to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandaled feet. - Robert E. Howard
Post Fri Jul 02, 2004 10:55 pm
DoctorShagar
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Akbaa Fight (As compared to dragon)

Man, I had exactly the oposite opinion.

I thought Akbaa was tough, but not that tough.
I absolutely loved this game, because, in my own opinion, it was never extremely difficult.

I finish VERY few games, and Arx is one I enjoyed quite a bit (ok -- perfectly honest: it's the best game since OMF 2097 -- and that's saying alot as there's a span of 11 YEARS or so between them.)

Most of the reason I liked it was its relative ease of play (Akbaa included). Typically, I hate boss fights. I really just want to play the game, not save/reload/fight/curse/reload, and I got to do that with Arx (without the insanely slow start of Morrowind -- Anybody know a quick way to get INTO Morrowind??)

Arx Rocks (though you all know that or you wouldn't be here).
I've been lurking here for months, and finally got an account.
(This is my first post.)

Where's some news on Arx2??

You guys are great,
AFC
Post Mon Aug 16, 2004 1:37 am
Cm
Sentinel of Light
Sentinel of Light

As this was your first post, I will bid you welcome to the boards. Hope you find more reasons to post.
Mark Twain
Post Mon Aug 16, 2004 3:19 am
DoctorShagar
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Thank you, CM

Thanks for the welcome.

As I mentioned, I've been watching this board for several months before finally taking part. You are a very diligent member and certainly have made many feel quite welcome. (Actually, I've noticed quite a few of your posts on the JoWood board as well.)

Do you still play Arx, or just keep up with its world here?
(Are you a moderator -- Just wondering, because it's never seemed you were a moderator, but certainly have done plenty more than most that hold the title.)

God's Peace, friends,

AFC
Post Mon Aug 16, 2004 7:06 pm
Cm
Sentinel of Light
Sentinel of Light

Thanks for the kind words. At the risk of taking the thread off topic, no I am not a mod, just a die hard Arx player. After nine times I have it down to some extent. I haven't played for a while. Waiting for my memory to fail so I can start anew. Or waiting for A2 which ever comes first. The mods are good here. I just have more time to answer, as they have so many duties here.
Mark Twain
Post Mon Aug 16, 2004 11:19 pm