Screenshots
   Videos

Miscellaneous
   Staff Members
   Privacy Statement

FAQ
Members
Usergroups
How to develop your character/class/skills?
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Divinity & Beyond Divinity

Author Thread
Remus
Overgrown Cat
Overgrown Cat

How to develop your character/class/skills?

Hopefully with this thread we can discuss our in-game characters to get the best ideas on how to develop our character's skills for different classes, and how to handle all the combats (fighting strategies) with different characters.

Here is my current character's stats:

Name: Megan Mirlock (female)
Level: 31 (mage)
vitality: 336
magic: 846

strength: 50
agility: 45
intelligence: 73
constitution: 59

Lightning Resistance - 10
fire resistance - 10
poison resistance - 15
spirit resistance - 35

(all the stats include bonuses from various armors, items & weapons).

So far my character had explored Aleroth, Riverlon and the big city at north (called Vir...something) and all the dungeons below them). When i start my mage' character i thought she will be weaker/difficult to play compare to Warrior class as always been in IWD series or Baldur's Gate series, and in big trouble when facing waves of attacking enemies. It turn up that she's very much like a tank character and very capable of dispatching or mowing down a group of monsters.

So far i almost exclusively use either meteostrike and Lightning spells (both in elemental category) depend on the types of resistant on particular enemies. For enemy leaders/bosses with high health points i use Freeze first before blast them with early mentioned spells, or use charm spell on one of them to distract the attention of other attackers. Another tactic is "hit & run" to avoid melee combat with the leaders. Any other good spells suggestions?

With these, and pumping up intelligence (is 73 points high enough?, should i ignore others?), and as long as i keep mana potion supply enough, my character have no difficult challengers in combat except one - "the thing" at the lowest lower of Ionas's dungeon. That combat reminded me of one enemies boss called Duriel or something in Diablo 2. With small combat area, it's really difficult to use "hit & run" or try avoiding, unable to freeze it (in fact that thing always freezes me instead), and with devastating melee attacks (one or two hits to squash my mage), highly resistant to both lightning or meteostrike; the way i chose is used a spell that combined both the elemental attacks = Elemental Hail for maximum effect and after one or two successful hits i quickly run out the exit stair, use health potion, save the game, re-enter, and repeat the process before finally killed that thing. My mage character could probably use other spells, but what about Warrior or Survivor classes? is it easy?

one question for whom also playing as a mage: summoning skeletons - any good? it do seem to be appealling for me to raise a group undead army in my command, but is it worth my affort? i did have level 2 skeletons summoning spell but it seem to been pathetic in combat...

Post Sun Sep 22, 2002 7:39 pm
twistedllama
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Personally i would get your other stats up too.. it will make for better armor later in the game. I have found some plate mail etc that requires 70 strength as well as other items. As far as your skels. GET TRANSFER POWERS. if you have transfer powers (obviously higher the better) Some of your passive skills go to your skels. you dont even have to fight if you dont want to in some cases.. summon skel wall or a couple skels between you and the enemy then cast hide in shadows. and viola. room clear.
Post Sun Sep 22, 2002 9:40 pm