screenshots
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Oblivion - General

Author Thread
jellylad
Village Leader
Village Leader

screenshots

I don't know if anyone has seen these, posted a link, but you can see some scans of the game (from a mag) at..

[link edited out by RPGDot to avoid legal problems - sorry, folks]

it looks pretty impressive....
Post Mon Sep 13, 2004 2:28 pm
RPG Frog
Blade Runner
Blade Runner

WOW!!!

I will be picking up this issue of Game Informer!!!

These pics indicate that this game could in fact obliterate all RPGs...

including Daggerfall & Morrowind!!!
Between the years when the oceans drank Atlantis and the gleaming cities…there was an Age undreamed of, when shining kingdoms lay spread across the world like blue mantles beneath the stars…Hither came Conan, the Cimmerian, black-haired, sullen-eyed, sword in hand…to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandaled feet. - Robert E. Howard

Last edited by RPG Frog on Mon Sep 13, 2004 6:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post Mon Sep 13, 2004 6:05 pm
dteowner
Shoegazer
Shoegazer

The pics indicate they've got decent artists working with a good engine. If they were making a movie, I'd be excited about the pics. Fact is, the pics say practically nothing about the gameplay. Probably a bit early to say TES4 will obliterate anything.
RIP Red Wings How 'Bout Dem Cowboys!
Post Mon Sep 13, 2004 6:11 pm
Remus
Overgrown Cat
Overgrown Cat

Those are badly scanned pictures and look blurry actually. After the magazine is out (the deal is off between Bethesda and the Magazine) then we would mostly like to see high quality version - either from online game websites like GameSpy, or from Bethesda themselve. It is the same thing when Valve gave exclusive HL2 preview to certain magazine - no other info until the mag are on sales and then we start seeing info and screenshot from online gaming sites.
Post Mon Sep 13, 2004 7:13 pm
Kendrik
Thin Blue Line
Thin Blue Line

I suspect that that those pics won't be up for long as scanning things from mags is illegal and both Bethesda and Game Informer have stated that they will come down hard on anybody doing this.

BTW it does look impressive I just hope the Sys Req aren't stupid I have a P4 3Ghz with 1Gig Ram and a GeForce 5900 and if it won't run it then I'm stuffed cos I can't afford to upgrade anytime soon. Ho Hum thus is life I suppose
~~Champion of the (Unofficial) RPGdot Text Signature Contest 2002~~
Post Mon Sep 13, 2004 8:40 pm
Remus
Overgrown Cat
Overgrown Cat

Yes no one can put up whole or big part of the actual article, and absolutely no screenshot. However you can discuss the content from Game Informer, display short and limited quotes, or summary (in your own words) of the article.
Post Tue Sep 14, 2004 2:46 am
jellylad
Village Leader
Village Leader

As the game is slated for winter 2005, I think everyone will have to buy a new PC to run this baby. Agreed graphics don't make a game, I'd be much happier if they've sorted out the conversations
and NPC's and the srticle seems to hint they have...

The guys at RPDcodex have posted this summary..

-Horses and "other" mounts are in.

-The game is set in Cryodill. You are a prisoner and the Emperor is escaping the Imperial Palace after an escape attempt. The escape tunnel runs through your cell. You witness the death of the Emperor and as he dies he hands you an amulet and tells you to find the one who can close the gates. With the death of the Emperor and no apparant heir, the gates to Oblivion open throughout the world of Tamriel.

-Winter 2005.

-Each NPC is completely different with unique and involved dialogue. NPC's follow schedules, go to work, to bed, have romances, families, lives, do chores, go for walks, go for adventures, visit family in other towns, Etc. For instance, a Farmer will go to his fields during the day to plow his grain, may take a lunch break, and go home at night to his wife where they go to sleep.

-The game will be smaller then Morrowind due to time constraints and because players like "a shorter game". It will be more expansive in terms of things to do however ::Boggles::

-In trying to make the game more "mainstream" friendly lockpicking, Armor forging, Potion making will be made into a sort of mini-game. I'm not excited about this.

-Over 40 completely different types of enemies. One of the screenshots, yes kids, is a Dragon.

-Stated by the magazine and everyone on the net who has seen the photos-The shots of Cryodill is the best looking shots of any game ever. Period. See Ya Doom 3. Bye Farcry. Oblivion-New standard. Which probably means YOU need to upgrade your system.

-It WILL come with the construction Set.
Post Tue Sep 14, 2004 10:35 am
Remus
Overgrown Cat
Overgrown Cat

I bet is the game would arrived spring/summer 2006.

That quote came from a bigger quote in another forum - i wonder the dragon part is actually Daeroth (sp?), not dragon.
Post Tue Sep 14, 2004 3:43 pm
Arma
Mysterious Lady
Mysterious Lady

And I bet that the game will not arrive on any platform before the next-gen consoles (PS3, XBoxNext) make their debute. Even on PC.
Post Tue Sep 14, 2004 4:08 pm
Remus
Overgrown Cat
Overgrown Cat

It will better if they have more time to polish the game, so i won't ask them to release it like making fast food.
Post Wed Sep 15, 2004 4:54 am
EverythingXen
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

Interesting analogy seeing as with today's games you wait three hours in a restaurant for a gormet meal that was supposed to be done within the hour .. only to have to send the plate back because they forgot to marinate the steak, undercooked the baked potato, and had to re-do the chocolate cake because it was so good it completely made the rest of the meal no fun to eat.

Twice.

"The old world dies and with it the old ways. We will rebuild it as it should be, MUST be... Immortal!"

=Member of the Nonflamers Guild=
=Worshipper of the Written Word=
Post Wed Sep 15, 2004 3:43 pm
mazu
Protector of the Realm
Protector of the Realm

Bah! removed!
Post Sat Jan 15, 2005 7:53 pm
RPG Frog
Blade Runner
Blade Runner

There are some nice pics at the official site now. And you might want to look at the newest Game Informer/PC Gamer mags for march 2005. They both have 5 new screenshots.

OBLIVION is looking friggan sweet! I am really excited about this year's killer RPGs...

1. OBLIVION
2. Arx Fatalis2
3. Gothi3

Should be the greatest year ever!

Between the years when the oceans drank Atlantis and the gleaming cities…there was an Age undreamed of, when shining kingdoms lay spread across the world like blue mantles beneath the stars…Hither came Conan, the Cimmerian, black-haired, sullen-eyed, sword in hand…to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandaled feet. - Robert E. Howard
Post Thu Feb 10, 2005 4:34 am
wacko3
Village Leader
Village Leader

quote:
Originally posted by kengo2019
There are some nice pics at the official site now. And you might want to look at the newest Game Informer/PC Gamer mags for march 2005. They both have 5 new screenshots.

OBLIVION is looking friggan sweet! I am really excited about this year's killer RPGs...

1. OBLIVION
2. Arx Fatalis2
3. Gothi3

Should be the greatest year ever!

i just bought the march issue of PC gamer and wow oh wow im as hyped as ever about this game.
Post Fri Feb 11, 2005 8:32 pm
Fez
Fearless Paladin
Fearless Paladin

So far it is all hype and wind though, keep your feet on the ground until some real reviews come in, even if you are a fan of the old games you can never know how much is going to be changed and if you'll like it any more. A few pretty screens don't make a good game.
Post Sat Feb 12, 2005 1:13 am

Goto page 1, 2  Next