Play RPG's on your Cell Phone
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > News Comments

Author Thread
corwin
On the Razorblade of Life

Play RPG's on your Cell Phone

Here's an interesting concept. One programmer has decided to write a Doom meets Bards Tale RPG for the Cell Phone. You can read the whole article <A href="http://www.armadilloaerospace.com/n.x/johnc/recent%20updates/archive?news_id=295" target=_blank>here</A>, but this is the key paragraph.<BR>
<!--StartFragment -->
<BLOCKQUOTE><i><i>I have a small list of games that I think would work out well, but what I decided to work on is DoomRPG – sort of Bard’s Tale meets Doom.<SPAN> </SPAN>Step based smooth sliding/turning tile movement and combat works out well for the phone input buttons, and exploring a 3D world through the cell phone window is pretty neat.<SPAN> </SPAN>We talked to Jamdat about the business side of things, and hired Fountainhead Entertainment to turn my proof-of-concept demo and game plans into a full-featured game.</i></i></BLOCKQUOTE>
<P class=MsoNormal> </P>
Post Sun Apr 03, 2005 6:27 am

"One programmer?" This is John Carmack, co-owner and co-found of id Software, and co-creator of the Wolfenstein, Doom and Quake series.
Post Sun Apr 03, 2005 6:36 am

corwin

How would I know, I don't follow games like those!! I've never heard of him!!

I don't use Smileys, I use Emoticons!!

Post Sun Apr 03, 2005 8:25 am
I'm a guest

He's only one of the most famous people in the games industry.... I suggest you at least update the post with his name, as it looks a bit unprofessional when a big site like RPGdot refers to John Carmack as "one programmer"..
Post Sun Apr 03, 2005 9:50 am

InsaneOrc
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

who cares who he is ? Names are nothing, only the product is what it's about !
Post Sun Apr 03, 2005 10:44 am

John Carmack is quite famous, yes. The thing is..RPGs and all sorts of other games have been on cell phones and available directly for download to them for a couple of years here in Japan.
Post Sun Apr 03, 2005 11:27 am

Lucky Day

I'm not big for names, but that Resume does sound impressive. In fact, the article has got me curious about cell phone programming. At 4.77mhz you could build wire mesh dungeons like Wizardry with it. Where does one get a SDK for these things. (I never owned a cell phone on principal )
Post Sun Apr 03, 2005 2:54 pm

Zagorin
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Another thing which you can tell about John Carmack is that he is responsible for keeping alive the option for OpenGL graphics.

Also he is big advocate of the Open Source philosophy.
Post Sun Apr 03, 2005 4:17 pm
stealth
Protector of the Realm
Protector of the Realm

quote:
Originally posted by Lucky Day
Where does one get a SDK for these things.

I don't know if you got programming experience (Java in particular) but you can start developing for mobile devices in no time. Get the wireless toolkit from Sun which includes a Java phone emulator.
Post Mon Apr 04, 2005 5:22 am
Guestman

I must admit that this one gave me a good laugh. Saying "One programmer has decided to write a Doom meets Bards Tale RPG..." about John Carmack is kind of like saying "Some guy has decided to make a remake King Kong..." (about Peter Jackson). :p

(btw, people who aren't fans of shooters should remember that John Carmack is responsible for game engines that's been used in several RPGs and action RPGs (like Anachronox, for instance).
Post Mon Apr 04, 2005 9:43 am

the dim
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

I agree with previous poster.
And when does RPGDot intended to correct the errors?
Post Mon Apr 04, 2005 11:58 am
Hindukönig
Guards Lieutenant
Guards Lieutenant

lol, this is awkward.

John who?
Post Mon Apr 04, 2005 4:40 pm

i wouldnt mind more roleplaying games. no matter if cell phones, microwaves or wherever
Post Mon Apr 04, 2005 6:32 pm

fatBastard()
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

Many a praise should indeed fall on John Carmack for his outstanding work as engine wizard ... but let's not forget that every single game out of Id Software has been an extravaganza of eye-candy with practically zero content plot wise.

The one area that is most important in RPG's is where John Carmack's work is seriously lacking, so the comparison to Peter Jackson would, in this case, make more sense if you told us that Mr. Jackson had been chosen to be the celebrity pitch-person for a new razor brand
Post Tue Apr 05, 2005 9:03 am

okis ..
one programmer - john carmack
one hardware manufacturer - steve jobs
one operating system businessman - bill gates

the real good thing about him developing some mobile phone engine is that the cell phone industry might just get a clue. like that offsetting javas slowness with a 200mhz cpu plus 3d accelerator might not be a good idea. (read java.render3d(world); )

@lucky day
he writes quite a lot about available SDKs in his article, any java mobile sdk should do.
Post Tue Apr 05, 2005 10:18 am

Goto page 1, 2  Next