Poll Results and New Poll
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > News Comments

Author Thread
Dhruin
Stranger In A Strange Land

Poll Results and New Poll

A lukewarm response to our last poll, which is probably all the topic deserved in hindsight. Over 47% are pessimistic about EA's Project Grey, while nearly 37% lost interest just at the "EA" bit. 15% think the prospect sounds interesting and a tiny 0.3% are already sold. We'll try to dig up some meatier topics after E3. <br> <br>For the moment, E3 is upon us and it will be hard to avoid. Almost every site will drop their usual routine to pursue nothing but E3 material. Personally, my interest has dropped significantly over the years but there's a (foolish?) part of me that always holds out some hope for that perfect surprise revelation. <br> <br>This year, Bioshock looks like the standout title to me. I'm also interested in Drakensang and it's nice to see some NWN2 footage finally get released. What are you interested in?
Post Mon May 08, 2006 9:08 am

I'm interested in quite a few games at this years E3. I'm especially interested in hearing some news about Gothic 3 and NWN2. Those are the two I'm most excited about. But there's also a number of others like Bioshock, Crysis, Dark Messiah of Might and Magic, Gears of War, Hellgate: London, Mass Effect, Spore, The Witcher and Titan Quest... it's going to be one of the more interesting E3's I think.
Post Mon May 08, 2006 9:17 am

r3dshift
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

I must agree with Brian in that I ain't really blown away by this year's E3, either. There are only a handful of games I'm really looking forward to (such as Bioshock or The Witcher), but having browsed through the games list, I daresay I'm not that interested.
A surprise announcement of something phenomenal (such as a decent Shadowrun RPG -- for the PC!) would be most certainly welcome, though.
Post Mon May 08, 2006 9:37 am
Dhruin

Oops, I forgot Gothic 3.

I think there a lot of games on the horizon that might be worth a look but I'm not looking to E3 for more info on things like The Witcher, Titan Quest or Hellgate London - I think I know what to expect from them.

Bioshock -- from the little that has been revealed so far -- has some genuinely interesting design concepts, and I must admit to being a bit of an Irrational fanboi. I'm curious to see how Gothic 3 is shaping up and Drakensang is an interesting unknown.

Shadowrun could be interesting and I'll be curious to see if Project Grey really is the LotR-themed-Fable that I expect. I'd love to see a full announcement for DivDiv2 but I think I would have seen some hints if that was goingto happen.
Post Mon May 08, 2006 11:21 am
txa1265
Magister of the Light
Magister of the Light

Re: Poll Results and New Poll

quote:
Originally posted by Dhruin
Personally, my interest has dropped significantly over the years but there's a (foolish?) part of me that always holds out some hope for that perfect surprise revelation.

I get all excited, but much of that is about the spectacle - taking it too seriously as an information conduit is foolhardy. But viewing it as a milestone - a point in time where companies focus on getting new info out - you can find much value. Loads of interesting stuff gets generated.

With all of the good looking RPG's, action games, FPS, and games for handhelds coming, I have been quite busy keeping my eyes on what is coming already!

Mike

Check out my blog.
Post Mon May 08, 2006 11:52 am
doctor_kaz
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

I'm basically only interested in a few PC RPG's. Namely -- NWN 2, The Witcher, and Bioshock. The PC continues to disappoint in this area overall though, and for the second year in a row, there's no Divinity 2 and no Dragon Age.
Post Mon May 08, 2006 12:21 pm
Kharn
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Gothic 3, Drakensang and maybe Bioshock are the only things of interest to me.

Why isn't the poll question "Which E3 game are you really interested in", though? Seems more apropos.

PS: wow, first post since 2004.
Post Mon May 08, 2006 12:52 pm
Moriendor
Black Ring Leader
Black Ring Leader

In regards to E3 and RPGs, I'm mostly looking forward to...

- ...Gothic 3, NWN 2, The Witcher media (screenies & vids). Those games are obviously too far into development for any surprising revelations. Some new in-game footage and screenshots are always welcome though .

- ... more details on Drakensang: The Dark Eye. As the developer (Radon Labs) said in the German PC Games preview, they got a playable prototype so I hope we'll be seeing some gameplay footage etc.

- ... more details on Bioshock. The screenies with the dude in that 19th century diving suit don't exactly get me too hyped about the game. Quite the contrary... so I'm looking forward to some actual info about the setting, gameplay mechanics, combat and anything else that might help us get a better idea of what the game is actually all about.

- ... the not likely but possible announcement of Divinity 2. Word from Larian Studios as of March 31 is...
quote:
It's true, I haven't been much present here lately. But the reason is that we are very very busy. It's cool and... no news is good news

Well, I can't add more for now. A little more patience, you'll be more than happy. Wanna bet?

... which could be a hint that they are/were working hard on a Divinity 2 demo for E3. We'll see.

- ... details on BioWare's new MMORPG. I'm not much of an MMORPG fan but definitely curious to find out about BioWare's plans and whether this game will be based on an existing IP or whether they're building a franchise from scratch. I have a strange feeling that -whatever this MMORPG is- it will be very Xbox Live/Xbox 360 friendly. We shall see.

- ... details on SOE's future plans regarding Star Wars Galaxies. Only MMORPG I've played for any prolonged periods of time until they completely ruined it with the NGE (New Game Enhancements) last November.
It is well known that they got something in store for E3 and that they have dedicated considerable developer resources to this E3 demo (after cancelling an expansion that was originally planned for this year).
I have my doubts that anything other than a complete rewrite, i.e. SWG 2 will really help though.
Besides, they can't be trusted as far as these demos are concerned. A demo that was shown at a fan fest basically hinted at plans for boardable or maybe even player-controlled capital ships. Nothing of what was shown in that demo ever made it into the game and they have already issued an advance warning that anything that will be shown at E3 might never make it into the game either.

- ... some "surprise" revelations. I wouldn't mind if the Diablo 3 rumors were true or if Bethesda revealed Oblivion expansion pack #1 or if KotOR 3 made an appearance or if UbiSoft would announce Might & Magic X or if finally some fresh, new PC-centered RPG franchise would surface (fat chance, I know ).

Oh well, I guess it's not going to be too exciting overall. The times where devs and publishers could afford to secretly keep their surprise hits under wraps until E3 came around are unfortunately long gone so I don't think we'll be overwhelmed by any major new stuff.
Post Mon May 08, 2006 4:20 pm
Carpathic
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

Shadowrun and Might and Magic that is about it for me
Post Mon May 08, 2006 8:27 pm
Roqua
High Emperor
High Emperor

Just Dark Eye but the announcement of RT combat is a slap in the face.
Post Mon May 08, 2006 11:30 pm
dr who
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

As far as RPG's go I reckon that Gothic 3 and NWN 2 will steal the show as I imagine their exhibition stalls to be impressive. The Witcher is likely to be 'behind closed doors' as it has been previously and seeing as it is only due out in 2007 no major fanfare alas.

I think a lot of eyes will be on Hellgate London this year - any idea of a release date yet? Not sure if the hype is more surrounding Bill 'godlike' Roper or the actual game though

Another game that everyone has failed to mention is the WoW expansion, not that I have played WoW but PC Gamer made a huge fuss about the upcoming expansion recently.

Sacred 2 perhaps? Here's hoping that the bugs are all ironed out prior to release this time.

And lets not forget a little something called the PS3...

Ah heck what do I know I am merely a fanboy at heart....
Post Tue May 09, 2006 5:45 am