Shadowbane Goes Gold
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > News Comments

Author Thread
Moriendor
Black Ring Leader
Black Ring Leader

Shadowbane Goes Gold

Wolfpack's/Ubi's PvP focused MMORPG 'Shadowbane' has gone gold and will be shipping to retail on March 25:<blockquote><em><h3>Shadowbane Goes Gold</h3><br>The Age of Strife Begins March 25
<br>
<br>San Francisco - March 6, 2003 - Ubi Soft Entertainment, one of the top ten video game publishers in the world, announced today that Shadowbane, the ground breaking massively-multiplayer online (MMO) game for both PC and Macintosh, has gone gold. Shadowbane has been designed and developed by Wolfpack Studios, based in Austin, Texas, and will be hosted and operated by ubi.com. Shadowbane makes its triumphant journey to retail shelves on March 25.
<br>
<br>Shadowbane has been meticulously developed over the last four years - cultivating a worldwide fan base of several hundred thousand - in an effort to create what Computer Gaming World has called "The Next Great Online RPG." IGN.com has rated Shadowbane as one of their most anticipated MMOs of 2003, while Wired magazine says "Shadowbane redefines the massively multiplayer online role-playing genre."
<br>
<br>Set in a dark fantasy world burning with strife and unrest, Shadowbane takes the MMO genre to new heights of possibility by offering gamers an unparalleled challenge. It combines immersive role-playing with deep strategic elements such as city management, army creation, siege warfare and economic development. Shadowbane is also the first MMO to offer a Dynamic World Model, in which players' actions and decisions permanently change the history, politics and landscape of the game.
<br>
<br>Limited edition pre-order boxes are available at select retailers which will provide customers with exclusive early access to three select races: Minotaur, Aracoix and Centaur.
<br>
<br>More information about Shadowbane can be found on Shadowbane.com and on the official community site, The Chronicle of Strife (chronicle.ubi.com).
<br>
<br>Shadowbane Features:
<br>
<br><ul><li>Assume the role of a common citizen or become a hero.</li>
<br><li>Raise and lead armies against rival and opposing empires.<li>Become an accomplished diplomat or negotiator and lend your support to compelling struggles or causes.<li>Recruit and train a tough crew of mercenaries and sell your skills to the richest kingdom.<li>All of these choices evolve this epic game that combines true RPG elements with large scale RTS.<li>Follow an incredible story arc covering more than five thousand years of recorded history abound with legends, epics, and tragedies.<li>Players can alter the story with their every action.<li>Interact with the Gods, Archons, and Heroes from legend, played by hired actors from Wolfpack Studios, who manipulate and interact within the existing framework of player established communities.<li>True social and political maneuvering through a guild system which features probationary member voting, a ranking system and assassinations for political intrigue.<li>Seek revenge on enemies with a "Justice System" that enables players to identify and track opposing players, criminals, spies and guilds.<li>Hundreds of combinations of playable characters including 10 races, over 20 character classes and dozens of multi-classing disciplines which you can train and specialize in.<li>Revolutionary movie capture technology allows players to record historical events and battles in Shadowbane to share with other players.<li>Real time in-game reporting system communicates vital statistics and game progress instantaneously to shadowbane.com and officially certified fan sites.<li>Fully customizable and easy to use interface.</ul>
<br>
<br>Minimum PC system requirements:<ul><li>Pentium(r) III Processor 700 MHz. or higher
<br><li>128 MB RAM
<br><li>1 GB free hard drive space
<br><li>Microsoft(r) Windows(r) 98SE/ME/2000/XP
<br><li>CD-ROM drive
<br><li>56 kbps modem + Internet connection
<br><li>32 MB TNT2 (or better) OpenGL-compliant graphics accelerator
<br><li>DirectX(r) 8.1 or higher</ul>
<br>
<br>Minimum Mac system requirements:<ul><li>G3 350 MHz. or higher
<br><li>128 MB RAM
<br><li>1 GB free hard drive space
<br><li>OS X version 10.2
<br><li>CD-ROM drive
<br><li>56 kbps modem + Internet connection
<br><li>ATI Rage 128 32 MB</ul></em></blockquote>
Post Thu Mar 06, 2003 2:47 pm
albatross
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

All I wanna know is...does it come with a 30 day try-out?
Post Thu Mar 06, 2003 2:48 pm
Ekim
Eagle's Shadow
Eagle's Shadow

quote:
Originally posted by albatross
All I wanna know is...does it come with a 30 day try-out?

From Shadowbane's FAQ at http://www.shadowbane.com:

Do I have to pay to play Shadowbane?

When you purchase Shadowbane you will receive a free month of play. The Manufacturer's Suggested Retail Price (MSRP) for Shadowbane is $39.99, which comes with one free month of play. After the free month, users will have the choice of selecting one of several rate plans. Pricing and plan options will be announced at a later date.

Hope that answers it
Post Thu Mar 06, 2003 3:19 pm
Ammon777
Warrior for Heaven
Warrior for Heaven

That's pretty much standard for these mmorpgs... i cant think of one that doesnt have an initial free month...
Post Thu Mar 06, 2003 6:46 pm
Noname

server load capability

Server load capability, server load capability, servload capability.
Post Thu Mar 06, 2003 7:08 pm

para

advise

wait 2-3 weeks to see if they sorted out the biggest problems. i really want to know if they can run a stable server with more than 2-300 ppl.
Post Thu Mar 06, 2003 8:57 pm

KAS
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Fool's Gold

Although I'm critical, I also try to give things a chance and make sure to highlight the good points of anything worth giving credit for before I start chopping things up. When it comes to Shadowbane, all I can say is, the four years they spent making this game could really have been invested better if they'd gone out and done something like bird watching.

I had amazingly high hopes for Shadowbane in the beginning, the design had a lot of promise and I am a big fan of pvp. As they moved through the motions, all the delays eventually killed those sparks of enthusiasm and this became a 'If it ever gets close to release I'll start looking into it again' type of game. More projects were announced, many sounding better than what Shadowbane was promising, and I had lost almost all interest.

Beta started up and I had the opportunity to get some opinions from a few people I knew in beta. A few said they enjoyed the game, and others felt the game was the worst they'd ever played. This was a dark cloud for me as I've been waiting for a viable upgrade mmog to release, and I had pretty much given up on Shadowbane, but there was still the glimmer of hope.

I won't go into any detail, but I was lucky enough to confirm that this game is horrible, period. This coming from hands on experience, I can't believe they're going to ship this junk.

KAS
Post Thu Mar 06, 2003 10:13 pm
Ammon777
Warrior for Heaven
Warrior for Heaven

I second that! I was in Shadowbane beta and that game sucks. I played beta for a few days and was totally unimpressed. I also thought the design was cool at first but if they think that players are going to buy a game that looks like crap and plays like crap, they have another thing coming. I remember all those abnoxious, jerkface SB fanboys, declaring that Shadowbane will be the greatest thing next to wine. Where are all you losers now, eh?
Post Fri Mar 07, 2003 1:42 am
albatross
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

Shadowbane goes gold and the Europeans are again left out in the cold! Swing went belly up and UBI soft dosen't give a hoot about it's European customers. The only people that can play are Canadians and Americans because you need an American or Canadian address on your credit card. From what I've heard it isen"t worth it anyway but I would of liked to make that choice myself. Point and click to move...you got to be kidding. Yeah 4 years...what a waste of time. It seems mmorpgs are getting worse instead of better. Think I'll stick to single-playing rpgs.
Post Fri Mar 07, 2003 6:21 am
Ammon777
Warrior for Heaven
Warrior for Heaven

Many MMORPGs have gotten worse. However, a few that are coming out are better than anything that came before them: Star Wars Galaxies, Dragon Empires, and Planetside come to mind. But watch out for EVE Online, i have heard the graphics are great but gameplay is boring and the community has a very negative attitude. The SWG community is actually very positive, i like them a lot (most of them).
Post Fri Mar 07, 2003 4:43 pm
albatross
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

I fiquered out why it is I'm slowly but surely losing interest in mmorpgs. You have to either love people or hate people to enjoy playing a mmorpg, and I just don't care. I'm indifferent and that rules me out. Mmorpgs are geared to people getting together to play and I enjoy it much more playing alone. The hating people part is for the griefers that go on to ruin it for everyone else and I'm not one of those either.
Post Sat Mar 08, 2003 5:09 am