View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Books & Movies

Author Thread
Neo_Genesis
The Assassin
The Assassin

The Grudge

I havent seen this movie myself yet, but I will this weekend
I heard from people from my class it's one of the sceariest movie ever, and I will believe that I think. I heard some weird stories bout it hehe.

anyone saw this movie, and willing to comment it?
Post Wed Jan 12, 2005 2:50 pm
xSamhainx
Paws of Doom
Paws of Doom

I've seen the original Japanese version a couple times, but I havent seen the American remake yet. So if youre talking about the newer remake (which I assume you might be since you refer to it only as "The Grudge"), I might be totally off-base on it, but I never miss a chance to rant and rave on a horror film or it's spin-offs, so here I go:

I'm feeling a "samurai pizza remake weekend" deathmatch of Ring vs. Grudge coming on, as soon as the GRudge remake comes to DVD in Feb. I'm eager to see how the nicely blooming Buffy does in the role. Now if you're talking about the original, for the most part it's a decent little horror film with some nice chills if you havent seen them several times in the trailers. Unfortunately, it does seem to suffer from a series of unnecessarily awkward crossed wires in a very simple storyline. They take the basic story of a haunted house, and throw the viewer back and forth thru segments of time with different sorta non-descript characters meeting their destiny in grim episodes. I hope that isnt a spoiler or something, but hey, scene one you've kinda seen them all.

To the claim of scariest movie ever, I think it's more like "the scariest movie trailers ever". Do yourself a favor, stay away from the trailers for this film, prolly either version.

Like piln said in our discussion about the original Japanese "Ju-on: The Grudge" in my brilliantly titled "Japanese Horror" thread here in this very forum, one problem is that you dont really give a wit about any of the actors, and I can second that lack of emotion. I hope the newer one does better with this. You dont spend much "quality time" with the original cast members, we'll just put it that way. It doesnt help that they are all Asian and speaking Japanese as well, and to the untrained foreign film viewer's eye, it can be somewhat of a problem distinguishing one character from another leading to further unconcern for their welfare. I'll give them the benefit of the doubt that some deeper things in "Ju-on:The Grudge" were lost in translation ='.'=
“Then away out in the woods I heard that kind of a sound that a ghost makes when it wants to tell about something that's on its mind and can't make itself understood, and so can't rest easy in its grave, and has to go about that way every night grieving.”-Mark Twain
Post Wed Jan 12, 2005 7:23 pm
Neo_Genesis
The Assassin
The Assassin

Well, Sam, I have seen The Grudge yesterday... and I understand why people say kids like me are to young for it, lol
but nonetheless, it was a very good movie, with good effects and actors.

as you have said, the movie switches back and forth between past and present, but not commenly. there are about 3 parts where you see flashbacks. and some parts are present and past mixed, expecially in the end. since I found out the little "dead" boy, can see in the future, and saw Karen (Sarah Michelle Gellar) in the future, and the man who was with him didn't. the story is being fold out during the movie, and you only get the full story in the end.

here is the story from this grudge, maybe it's the same as the japanese, maybe not. I will tell the allround story, not how it is unfold.

Spoiler:
A girl, no name called, has a crush on a proffesor, who is living the China (or it is Japan, don't know exactly), and she has a diary about him. her husband finds out, and becomes mad. he first drowns their son in the bath tub, and then starts attacking the girl. I dont know for sure, but most of the movie proves he has ripped off her jaw, and she can only make a very scary sound, you can make without your jaw. when the women is killed, the husband hangs himself. 3 years later, a family starts living in the house. but the man who sells the house, meets the first zombie/ghost. when he get's to the bath tub, which is full of water. he want to make it empty, and reached in the water. then something grabs his hand, and he pulls it back. he is unharmed, and the family buys the house. but the mother of the two people who start living there, is living there too, and is doing strange lately. one day the wife hears a sound from the stair, and sees a black cat. she follows it upstairs, and she can the cat sitting at a corner. suddenly two white arms come around the corner and picks up the cat (that moment scared the hell out of me). the wife yell "who is there" and follows the "amrs". when she enters a room, the door closes. later on the husband comes in and sees the wife, sort of choking. he sees the dead boy, which screams as a cat, and dissapears. she husband get's killed. only the old women is left. a housewife, Yoko, takes care of her. but one day she sees a track of papers. he follows it in the room, and sees some hole in the sealing. she goes up, and looks around, with a candle. and then the "dead" girl appears, which made me fall of my chair! now back to Karen (Sarah Michelle) who replaced Yoko, since she didn't showe up at work. she is doing fine till she find a closet being taped in, and she hears the freaky sound. she ripps all the tape off, and finds a living boy, with a black cat. she finds out his name is Yoshio. when she starts reading a diaree, suddenly the "dead" girl walks past in the hallway (wich also scared me to death, lol). she follows it, and get's to the grandma, which sais things like "make her stop". suddenly some sort of black hair appears, and two eyes look at Karen. the detectives come to the house, with lots of police and ambulances and stuff, and they go to the hole in the seiling. (sp?) they find a jaw there, and the two people who got killed, except Yoko.

from now on, it's more a cat-and-mouse game. everyone who looks into the eyes of the dead, are cursed, and will be followed till they are dead. one of the most freaky moments is when they meet Yoko again, who doesn't have a jaw, and her tongue hangs down.

in the most trilling part, it's present and past at the same time. the boy who can see the future, takes Karen in his world, and she find out the whole story. and sees how the girl was killed. then she finds het boyfriend in the house, still alive. but the girld comes crawling off the stairs, very creapy. she get's to Karen's boyfriend, and after that she comes to Karen. Karen finally managed to burn the house. a day later, in the hosptial, you hear the firemen had saved the house, so it is still there. Karen is at her dead boyfriend, who is under a white sheet. suddenly he moves, and his hand slides out of the white sheet, it is the hand of the dead girld. Karen can hear the freaky sound, and turns around, there is the dead girl... END.
strange end, but I can asume Karen get's killed.

so, a little review about the movie.
Post Thu Jan 13, 2005 1:21 pm
xSamhainx
Paws of Doom
Paws of Doom

A couple people so far have told me how much they liked the American remake over the original, and Ive read it in a review or three the last couple weeks. I got like ten days til I can see it for myself, and I cant wait ='.'=
“Then away out in the woods I heard that kind of a sound that a ghost makes when it wants to tell about something that's on its mind and can't make itself understood, and so can't rest easy in its grave, and has to go about that way every night grieving.”-Mark Twain
Post Sat Jan 22, 2005 6:56 pm