Anti-Japan War Online Announced
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > News Comments

Author Thread
Moriendor
Black Ring Leader
Black Ring Leader

Anti-Japan War Online Announced

Thanks to John from TenTonHammer for letting us know that the China Communist Youth League (in conjunction with PowerNet Technology) is developing a "patriotic" MMORPG for the Chinese market. It's kinda hard to believe that this is seriously being developed but John mentioned it's from the "crazy but true department" so I'm quite afraid it is. Head <a href="http://www.tentonhammer.com/modules.php?op=modload&name=News&file=article&sid=684" target="_blank">here</a> to TenTonHammer for the full announcement...<blockquote><em>Shanghai. August 23. INTERFAX-CHINA - PowerNet Technology, a Chinese online gaming firm, has developed a new online game in cooperation with the China Communist Youth League (CCYL) named "Anti-Japan War Online," which will begin commercial operation by the end of 2005, a PowerNet official said Tuesday. <br> <br>"The game will allow players, especially younger players, to learn from history. They will get a patriotic feeling when fighting invaders to safeguard their motherland," a PowerNet Project Manager, surnamed Liu, told Interfax.</em></blockquote>
Post Thu Aug 25, 2005 11:23 pm
Test
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

Official State Sponsored MMORPG

Maybe North Korea and Iran will band together to make 'Anti-America Online' ...
Post Thu Aug 25, 2005 11:25 pm
Moriendor
Black Ring Leader
Black Ring Leader

Well, as long as a certain government is in charge, I wouldn't worry too much about the "O" part in MMORPG . It's not going to be "online" but pretty damned realistic and for real. They [that certain government] will probably change the title to "Nuke Wars" before launch ("launch" literally hehe...).

Post-apocalyptic MMORPGs for the win! [might as well let your people practice now before it's too late!]
Post Thu Aug 25, 2005 11:43 pm
Hedek
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

quote:
Originally posted by Moriendor
Post-apocalyptic MMORPGs for the win! [might as well let your people practice now before it's too late!]

Hey hasn't Interplay's Hervé Caen claimed he was working on a Fallout MMORPG ? Looks like he really IS a "visionnaire" after all, but a very very long term one :p
Post Fri Aug 26, 2005 2:24 am

quote:
It's kinda hard to believe that this is seriously being developed

Why would you say that?

If you live in Asia you can understand. World War Two is not "history" to alot of people here. They were children during that time. They are old now but Asians live long and they have the money to back such a game.

The US is flooded with games that pit you against the evel Germans in world war two or the nasty Vietcong. I do not see any outrage over those titles.
Post Fri Aug 26, 2005 7:32 am

Moriendor
Black Ring Leader
Black Ring Leader

Amparo, this game is co-developed by a Chinese government organization. I'd say this is way different from any other WWII games out there that are or have been developed by the entertainment industry (I don't think that EA had generating a "national spirit" in mind when they made WWII games).
This game here is as if the American Republican party would launch an "Anti-Arabs Online" game or something like that.
The only game that gets close to what the Chinese government is doing here is American Army which the US armed forces seem to use as a marketing tool to get young men to sign up for the army.
I'm not sure I like the trend that is developing here... games based on historical conflicts I can live with but using games as a tool to push some political agenda is an entirely different story IMHO.
Post Fri Aug 26, 2005 5:42 pm
yeesh
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

Just as long as we recognize that America's Army is a pretty damned simlar concept, and perhaps even more importantly as Amparo said that unlike the completely ficticious and ridiculous ways in which games about killing terrorists are always coming up with plotlines where somehow the US is the underdog, fighting for it's sovereignty and right to exist despite the fact that not bullet one has been fired on American soil since... 1812? I don't remember, you tell me. Continuing, we should keep in mind that Japan actually did invade the hell out of China and slaughter and rape and pillage and therefor for the Chinese a WWII game is in fact a great big old struggle against an imperial and psychotically racist Japan.

Not that America was free of psychotic racism at that time (and this one) either, but that's neither here nor there.

Also, of course, and most importantly of all, the "Anti-Japan" in the title (which naturally gets us all riled up) is simply someone's quick and catchy translation of some asian concepts that might have a completely different flavor over there. I'll defer here to anyone who actually speaks Chinese and could a better explanation of the title.
Post Fri Aug 26, 2005 7:28 pm