Usergroups
English mods and addons?
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Gothic - General

Author Thread
Shinnok
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

I've only found German mods and addons, i've seen also that the Piranha modkit is in German only...
I think that Piranha must support english users better,cause we want that this fantastic game never ends.
SO People let us HEAR !!
Post Wed Jan 02, 2002 4:14 pm
lildragon
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

I agree, I'm only on Chapter 3 and I DON'T WANT IT TO ENNNNNNND
Post Wed Jan 02, 2002 4:17 pm
Goldenbeast
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Well we may soon be able to play mods, etc. I'm going through the text files and translating them straight over using a program. Really the only thing holding us back is GothicMOD.exe which loads even though you DONT have the cd and I'm unsure of GothicStarter.exe but I'm pretty sure that I can find a way around that cd protection so we can play. the rest of the stuff is just language translation.
Post Tue Jan 08, 2002 7:29 am
Bigpapa
Stranger from north
Stranger from north

Fine, i hope you guys get it working soon
Post Tue Jan 08, 2002 3:46 pm
Mantra2K
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Well, after i read this post, i got thinking...

Do you guy's want to make this a team thing, i mean, i would gladly put time into this, i can't speak german. But i would easily be able to translate it using my german friend, and also software =)

If so, send me the files needed to Mantra2K@hotpop.com

Thank's Guy's =D

(Also, if sombody was to get the German MOD maker translated, or to study it and make their own, i would like to help with that, too. I've seen it done before).

See you around =)

-----
Matty
-----
Post Tue Jan 08, 2002 5:04 pm
Goldenbeast
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

We need a name and a site as well. The site AND space I can do as I have a couple of servers. The name we need to get together and figure out. If we do this we will be the first with the english version to have mods out. What do you say?
Post Tue Jan 08, 2002 5:33 pm
Mantra2K
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Well, i was thinking of having it as a community thing, so that all people can reap the benefits.

I think that there will be a lot of expertise in this community that would help. (Especially Gorath's Geman-english skills).

-----
Matty
-----
Post Tue Jan 08, 2002 6:40 pm
mersil
Noble Knight
Noble Knight

IMHO:i think if you make some "community" add-ons for Gothic, then this is the site that really should be hosting these Mods, since they already have an active community .this game could really get a lot of attention, with so many people Involved.
Post Tue Jan 08, 2002 8:30 pm
Gorath
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

Lets do the homework first, folks.

Can anybody confirm that
a)the Mod Development Kit
b)the mod Player Kit
c)the German mods
are compatible with the English version?
Post Tue Jan 08, 2002 10:17 pm
jackchaos
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

They are!
It's where you extract the files. You do it in the wrong place, and you will get an error..

example: Where ever "spacer.exe" was in the zip file, that and a few more need to be in the ./gothic.system folder. The installation file (in german) isn't very descriptive of the installation procedure. But it works
Post Tue Jan 08, 2002 10:26 pm
Brak
City Guard
City Guard

I would agree with Gorath that not only does homework need to be done, but serious beta testing of anything you might turn out as well.

I think a mod team could do both, much like TeamBG did with the Baldur's Gate series: Have your own web site for the team that talks in detail about what mods skins, etc. you are planning, solicit input from fans, etc. and anytime you finish something or need to recruit beta testers, etc., have GothicDot host the files for download and put out the call for beta-testers. Gothic dot is the main site for the English version of Gothic and most people come here and will continue to do so. But I don't know that Gorath would want to host pages detailing all the nitty gritty development details for the mod team, unless he decides to be part of the team . Just my two ore.

Post Tue Jan 08, 2002 10:40 pm
jackchaos
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Lets find someone who could give a clear translation of the TXT and HTML docs that come with Gothic Mod. After that, it makes a good start.
Babelfish isn't gonna hack it.
Post Tue Jan 08, 2002 10:53 pm
Goldenbeast
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Jackchoas, the editor isn't the problem though it's the file called gothicmod.exe. it requests a cd and you can't just escape out of that one
Post Wed Jan 09, 2002 1:17 am
jackchaos
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Well. I think we need to ask Xicat for the english version. The german version has all the code and dialog in german. It's only right that Xicat pass over the english stuff. What harm could it be?
Post Wed Jan 09, 2002 2:32 am
Phear
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

THis community mods things is a great idea i haven't finished yet but i'd like to see this become kind of like Half-Life
Post Wed Jan 09, 2002 3:00 pm

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next