Usergroups
When will Gothic be released?
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Gothic - General

Author Thread
Sveinung
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

I've been waiting for months now and the realease was set to 15/11, but now it seems that we have to wait a few weeks more or so until we get the game. We've been waiting for too long. Now I really WANT this game NOW!
Post Fri Nov 16, 2001 6:55 pm
FetishFool
High Emperor
High Emperor

You just proved the great marketing schemes made by Piranha Bytes.
Post Fri Nov 16, 2001 11:39 pm

The late shipping time is not Piranha Bytes fault, if there is someone to blame, then it´s Xicat.
The engölish version of gothic has been completed about 3 months ago. The problem was, that it was extremely hard for Piranha Bytes to find a foreign publisher (I still wonder why)

The Piranha Bytes people are really cool guys
Never saw a development team caring that much about their customers. They released mod tools only because some fans asked them to, they asked the fans about what to implement in the patches and did most of the things they asked for.
So, don´t flame PB, flame Xicat
----------------------------------
ManicM
Post Sat Nov 17, 2001 4:37 pm

Umm, english, not engölish , sorry.
Post Sat Nov 17, 2001 4:40 pm

FetishFool
High Emperor
High Emperor

PB gives out the plans to when to release games.
The foreign publishers are mainly needed so that PB doesn't have to pay tariffs(taxes) on exports.

Xicat just does what PB says. PB didn't get a publisher until about 2 months ago, but the game should have been released immediately.

PB must have something up their sleeves. They're probably trying to synchronize the release of Gothic with something else.
Post Sat Nov 17, 2001 4:48 pm
Gorath
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

There is a press release on the Xicat site saying the release date is 26/11/2001, the price 29,99GBP.

quote:
The foreign publishers are mainly needed so that PB doesn't have to pay tariffs(taxes) on exports.

This is bullshit. I can tell you what Xicat´s advantage over PB is: access to 20.000 retail outlets in the US and 15.000 in europe. Imagine Xicat could sell 10 units of Gothic at each outlet...
This whole publisher thing is about market access, and of course company politics, as you said.
Post Sat Nov 17, 2001 7:22 pm
MC_Renzy
Fearless Paladin
Fearless Paladin

Why can't PB publish the game thereselves and keep all the profit? Why give some loser company like Xicat your money for something they did not contribute to? I don't really understand all this distributer shit. Can someone enlightin me?
Post Sat Nov 17, 2001 10:57 pm
Moriendor
Black Ring Leader
Black Ring Leader

Well, as the name implies a distributor is good for distributing the game .

- PB doesn't have the international contacts. Xicat does.
- PB doesn't have the capacities to produce 100.000 CD copies + manuals. Xicat does.
- PB doesn't have the logistics network to distribute the 100.000 copies (what are they supposed to do ? Ship them with UPS ? ). Xicat does.

That list could be continued. As you can see a publisher is absolutely required because if the developers were to handle all the logistics stuff by themselves we wouldn't be paying US$ 49.99 for a new game but more like US$ 99.99 or something like that.
Post Sun Nov 18, 2001 12:55 am
MC_Renzy
Fearless Paladin
Fearless Paladin

What percentage of money do you think a distributer gets from sales?
Post Sun Nov 18, 2001 3:07 am
FetishFool
High Emperor
High Emperor

The distributer gets more money from sales than the publisher does.
Post Sun Nov 18, 2001 3:14 am
MC_Renzy
Fearless Paladin
Fearless Paladin

I think thats absolute bullshit. I can't believe Xicat will get the majority of the profit for Gothic. The system is fucked.
Post Sun Nov 18, 2001 5:55 am
Vincent The Great
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

That is no bullshit. That's one thing I can tell ya!

One other thing you can expect. At the box you will see big logo's with XICAT on it.. and maybe one little logo of PB.

Post Sun Nov 18, 2001 7:19 pm
Gorath
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

I read an article about this calculation things in the German Gamestar mag a few months ago. If I remember it correctly they took an independent production as an example. Approximately 50% of the retail price went to the developer, in their article. The other 50% were split between publisher, wholesaler, retailer and VAT.
If the scale of this figures is somewhat realistic, it´s quite easy to explain, why the big publishers like EA, EIDOS and Interplay a)buy developers and b)buy wholesalers.
Post Sun Nov 18, 2001 8:19 pm