maybe stupid question but hope that someone answers it
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > CRPGs General

Author Thread
titus
Survivor of Hell
Survivor of Hell

maybe stupid question but hope that someone answers it

What is a crpg? and what kind of rpg is gothic then? and diablo?
Post Wed Aug 06, 2003 8:42 pm
Nocturnal
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

CRPG= Computer RolePlaying Game

i think gothic can be described as open-ended free-form rpg, an some people can say gothic is how every crpg should be (including me)

and diablo definetively as an action rpg
Post Wed Aug 06, 2003 9:07 pm
Seth
Last Man Standing
Last Man Standing

CRPG is what Nocturnal said it.

Gothic is a third person view, as open-ended goes that is debatable, although I liked gothic I wouldn’t call “open-ended free form”.

Diablo has “view from the top” it is also called isometric view, and is definitely action game. Why is called an RPG, beats me.

The main feature in any RPG is you can DEVELOP your character to YOURS liking. Ideal RPG is when you can re-play the same game many times over and every time experiencing something new.
Post Thu Aug 07, 2003 1:58 am
Korzen
Forsaken
Forsaken

Some crpg's also have a camera that you can move freely around, zoom in, zoom out, spin. Evil Islands for example.
Post Thu Aug 07, 2003 9:35 am
Danicek
The Old One
The Old One

quote:
Originally posted by Seth
Diablo ... ...is definitely action game. Why is called an RPG, beats me.

The main feature in any RPG is you can DEVELOP your character to YOURS liking.

And this is why is Diablo called RPG, because you develop your character (you are certainly somehow restricted with first choice, but in many RPGs you are restricted more than in Diablo).
Post Thu Aug 07, 2003 6:15 pm
Seth
Last Man Standing
Last Man Standing

quote:
Originally posted by Danicek
And this is why is Diablo called RPG, because you develop your character (you are certainly somehow restricted with first choice, but in many RPGs you are restricted more than in Diablo).

I played the first Diablo few years back, but I don’t remember any character development during course of the game. What I remember
[WARNING POSSIBLE SPOILER ALERT]
You enter first level beat crap of everybody, collect weapons, armor etc, go to the surface, sell it, drop $50K on the ground, go for more crap beating, repeat that for (I think it was 16 levels), end game.

BUT different people like different cookies, so on the record, I don’t say the game was bad, just I didn’t find it worth playing the second time.
Post Fri Aug 08, 2003 1:31 am
EverythingXen
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

That's the beauty of Diablo, just like a MMORPG. It's the same thing over and over and over again in the hopes of getting something cool. You know what you're getting, every time. It's like a fighting game... they're all the same (down, right down, forward, attack button is a special attack in pretty much any fight game thanks to street fighter) but people love/buy/play the hell out of them anyways. Because it's fun to beat the hell out of stuff once in a while.

"The old world dies and with it the old ways. We will rebuild it as it should be, MUST be... Immortal!"

=Member of the Nonflamers Guild=
=Worshipper of the Written Word=
Post Fri Aug 08, 2003 11:49 am
Seth
Last Man Standing
Last Man Standing

quote:
Originally posted by EverythingXen
That's the beauty of Diablo, just like a MMORPG. It's the same thing over and over and over again in the hopes of getting something cool.

I’ve never try it any of MMORPG because I got discouraged by monthly fee and some people descriptions of the way other people play (cheaters/hackers, useless conversations) it comes to: nobody was actually role playing.

quote:
Originally posted by EverythingXen
people love/buy/play the hell out of them anyways. Because it's fun to beat the hell out of stuff once in a while.

Yes this is true, but recently I played Heartbringer (forgot the spelling), IMO it another form of Diablo or Dungeon Siege, anyway passed once and that’s it, there is no way I’m going to play it again.

It always comes down to a piece: for one is masterpiece for another utterly piece of crap

Last edited by Seth on Sat Aug 09, 2003 7:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post Fri Aug 08, 2003 2:36 pm
Kayla
High Emperor
High Emperor

titus, there are no stupid questions, and I'm glad you started an interesting dicussion.

I don't think Diablo did have much character development, or an interesting story. But there are some RPG's I have played several times due to the interesting story and the humour of the game. Divine Divinity, the skeletons still crack me up, Planescape Torment Morte is so funny, BG I have played 5 or 6 times rigght through with different party combinations, but the constant is Minsc and Boo....

@Seth. I don't like MMORPG because I think the games are always released with bugs and glitches that take ages to eliminate. When there is a game that is released ready to play without having to send error reports and they have taken as much care as a standard RPG to make the playing enjoyable from day one I may be willing to pay the monthly fee. I realise every game has updates, but the MMORPG are released and the developers know it is not complete and it hasn't been thoroughly tested to eliminate as many bugs as possible before mass marketing takes place. That is just laziness and greed to be.

Robert A. Heinlein
Post Sat Aug 09, 2003 8:02 am
stanthony
One Smart Dog
One Smart Dog

OK, it seems like it's time to say something about "CRPGs in general"

So... What is CRPG... It would be nice to say that it is a life style, huh? OK, OK, no easy answers... Char development is certainly important. Many people call it RPG when they see some kind of char development tables. Personally I think that there is much more to RPG than that. For me CRPGs are all about impersonating characters, living their lives - at least as far as you can do it while studying, working full time and having a family and demanding dog If I can say to myslef - I like this guy, I like the setting, I enjoy ideas behind the story, so I could live there for some time - it is CRPG.

As to formal stuff discussed here. Yes, there are isomeric (2,5d games) like Baldur's Gate and following, Fallout; there are 1st person games like Wizardry 8, Morrowind and there are 3rd person games, like Gothic etc. There are so-called rougue-CRPGs like Icewind Dale or Diablo for that matter, and there are games with very complex stroyline and philosophy behind it, like Planescape: Torment, or, say, Morrowind, if you percept it as deep game, not as a task just to kill Dagoth. There are real-time games, like Morrowind, Gothic, there are games with turn-based combat like Wizardry 8, Pool of Radiance, and there are games with pausable real-time combat so that you can issue commands in a calm atmosphere of "Your game is paused" such as all Infinity engine games and others.

We can invent many ways to classify CRPGs, and they're all good for me as long as there is this "living in the game" thing present.

quote:
Originally posted by Kayla
I don't think Diablo did have much character development, or an interesting story.

Neither do I. In fact it scared me in the sense that it was supposed to attract new players to CRPGs, but I saw no connection between Diablo and CRPGs whatsoever... Arcade game for me. I don't mind it, spent many hours in D2 multiplayer myself, but it is just like Xen recently put it somewhere, it's nice to kill stuff occasionally

quote:
Originally posted by Kayla
But there are some RPG's I have played several times due to the interesting story and the humour of the game. Divine Divinity, the skeletons still crack me up, Planescape Torment Morte is so funny, BG I have played 5 or 6 times rigght through with different party combinations, but the constant is Minsc and Boo....

Those philosophical skeletons are like my brothers, Morte is my middle name, and Boo is my pet space hamster... But Jan Jansen rules more

R.A.Salvatore The Cleric Quintet. Canticle
Post Sat Aug 09, 2003 8:54 am
Kayla
High Emperor
High Emperor

quote:
Originally posted by stanthony
If I can say to myslef - I like this guy, I like the setting, I enjoy ideas behind the story, so I could live there for some time - it is CRPG.

Those philosophical skeletons are like my brothers, Morte is my middle name, and Boo is my pet space hamster... But Jan Jansen rules more

I agree. I made Khalid watch while Jaheira (sp?) was slaughtered by Orcs (I didn't like her). Most often I get really upset whenthe characters die and I don't care how many times I have to play the same bit- I make it through without them dying (XP more evenly spread than if someone dies at the beginning of a big battle).

Jan was funny, but Annah had attitude, I liked her style, but Jan was a funny little man.

I am the type of player that has to play an area right through. Diablo 2 I never finished- I got through to the 3rd Act, but when the game bugs shut down the program or you had to go to work (major inconvenience) when you came back the baddies had regenerated. I can't lave them. I have to clean them out again. I did not enjoy that aspect. What's done is done and they should remain dead- maybe a couple of new baddies that wandered into the area. And again the character development (or lack of) was also frustrating. It's just going around wacking things or doing the same spell over and over.

And there's never been a bad enough female baddie to be able to attach my name to... however, now that I know your middle name is Morte I'll make sure I stay away- otherwise you may bite me with your +3 teeth. Maybe there'll be a killer tiger/woman in a game that I can change my name to.

Robert A. Heinlein
Post Mon Aug 11, 2003 8:24 am
Seth
Last Man Standing
Last Man Standing

The interaction between NPC’s in BG2 was definitely nice touch, especially if you had evil (Viconia, Korgan, Edwin) vs. good (Minsc, Khalid (sp?)). Of course after few weeks of game-play these characters were at each other’s throats (pity). But there was also a bad side of this implementation, like having some argument/conversation in the middle of the battle.
Post Mon Aug 11, 2003 5:43 pm
Parcival
Rightful Heir To The Throne

Re: maybe stupid question but hope that someone answers it

quote:
Originally posted by titus
What is a crpg? and what kind of rpg is gothic then? and diablo?

You really should visit www.crpg.com, www.crpg.org and your question will be answered....
Parc
Post Tue Aug 19, 2003 6:37 pm
stanthony
One Smart Dog
One Smart Dog

Re: maybe stupid question but hope that someone answers it

quote:
Originally posted by Parcival
You really should visit www.crpg.com, www.crpg.org and your question will be answered....
Parc

That's a good one!

R.A.Salvatore The Cleric Quintet. Canticle
Post Tue Aug 19, 2003 7:22 pm
Parcival

OK, just one for ther road:

Take a look at the crpg network

www.crpgn.org

Parcival
Post Tue Aug 19, 2003 9:46 pm