"Will Microsoft be the next Sony of MMO Gaming?" @
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > News Comments

Author Thread
Deljarum
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

"Will Microsoft be the next Sony of MMO Gaming?" @

In what combines a bit of MMO history with a preview/praise of Vanguard: Saga of Heroes and Sigil Games in general, while also positing the future role of Microsoft in MMOs, GamerGod has posted an editorial entitled <a href="http://www.gamergod.com/article.php?article_id=2907" target="_blank">"Will Microsoft be the next Sony of MMO Gaming?"</a>. Here's some hot snippet action: <br><blockquote><em>Sigil has also announced that Vanguard will be produced by Microsoft Game Studios. Those of us who remember what Sony had done to EQ were starting to get worried. Will a large corporation be the end of a player-base rooted game? Will Sigil be able to keep a hold of the reigns? On the official V:SoH FAQ, the question comes up and is answered like this: “the actual development of the game takes place almost entirely at Sigil, including design, art, and programming.” The concern still lies, will Microsoft be able to keep its hands off the goods if the game becomes the giant EverQuest was? </em></blockquote> <br> <br>They seem to proclaim the death of EQ and Sony rather quickly with their assumptions, but it's a good read none the less.
Post Sat Nov 26, 2005 2:11 am
Kepler
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

quote:
Those of us who remember what Sony had done to EQ were starting to get worried.

More amateur journalism. Do your research. Sony has been involved with Everquest since Day 1.

There is this geek myth that Everquest was made by some genius kids in their garage. They were innocent, pure gamers at heart and were murdered by big bad Sony. Please.

The really ignorant and naive part of this myth is that these original EQ devlopers were making and selling Everquest for pleasure and to please their community of friends and fellow pure gamers. Sony came along and stole the game so they could produce EQ for profit.

This is like a simple childrens story. Hooray for freedom of speech and all that but these websites need to raise their standards and not let just anyone pass this tripe off as critical journalism.
Post Sat Nov 26, 2005 2:14 am
Wildefire
General Goods Vendor
General Goods Vendor

quote:
Originally posted by Kepler
More amateur journalism. Do your research.

Yeah, it would help the author's credibility if he (she?) spelled the names of companies he mentioned correctly:
quote:
This game was created by some fresh thinkers at a Sony-spawned company called Varant Interactive and the game was groundbreaking, pulling people in from mud’s, UO, and pen / paper.

Post Sat Nov 26, 2005 7:11 am
Kepler
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

In my fury, I did not even notice that. Fantastic.

The "good ole days" phenomena has made its way into the MMOG genre. Just as in life, it never existed.
Post Sat Nov 26, 2005 11:25 am
Roqua
High Emperor
High Emperor

quote:
Originally posted by Kepler
In my fury, I did not even notice that. Fantastic.

The "good ole days" phenomena has made its way into the MMOG genre. Just as in life, it never existed.

Thats just not true. The good ole days did exist. And not that long ago. They ended when my wife had the ring slip on her finger.

And I'm not an mmorpg expert, but there definitely was a good old days of rpgs. Maybe not for everyone, but when i was a kid there was always a great rpg at the store to get. When rpgs were made how I like em.

And I'm sure todays rpgs will one day count as the good old days for a lot of people.

There is always a good old days, and that just implies when things were as you liked them more.
Post Sat Nov 26, 2005 2:17 pm
anon

eq is still kickin'

The author is misinformed. EQ is far from dead, and actually has a larger playerbase than when the handful of people who left for Sigil were still there. The game is more stable than ever before.

The game is far more fun and interesting than ever before. If anything is dead, it's the "Vision" which has been traded for "fun". EQ continues to be a leader in many ways, usually overlooked by people who are unable to see past the old character models. It's all about the gameplay, and while EverQuest isn't the king any more in terms of subscribers, it still holds it's own. This isn't because the original design was a timeless peice of work, but because the current dev team consistently improves the game and has been making major advances in the MMO game design to keep the game fun & fresh.
Post Sat Nov 26, 2005 10:02 pm