RPGDot Forums > Gothic 3 General

Author Thread
horst wessel
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

GPU question

Actually, two hardware questions.
I have a AMD 64bit 2800
will it be enough for G3? From what i understand it is just below the minimum that is required.

Second, more pending question. I'm being offered an odd videocard (it is probably only odd to a profane computer lout like me)- from a friend, for a very good price (compare to retail)
the card is PNY QuadroFX 1300PCIe
it is suppose to be "marvelous" (as he puts it), BUT:
-it is only 128Mb (seems like most of new cards are 256Mb)
-and, much more significantly- it is PCI-ex, which means I will need a new mother board (and I JUST got mine with AGP)

advice, anyone? I need to make a decision ASAP, or the "cool" card will be gone

thanks!
Post Thu Dec 22, 2005 1:02 am
Gorath
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

The CPU should be fast enough - and even if not, small Athlon 64s can usually be overclocked several hundred MHz. Going from 1800 (real) MHz to 2200 is normal, 2400 is also quite common.

Quadros are professional cards for workstations. They are modifications of the standard nVidia cards. Quadros are usually expensive and of very high quality, but itīs not clear if they can be used for gaming. Maybe somebody else knows it.
The PNY 1300 Quadro is slightly below the middle in its series. Faster than the castrated cards, but more spartanic and thus more limited than the really expensive stuff.
Post Thu Dec 22, 2005 1:55 am
horst wessel
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

Thanks Gorath
I don't even know what to do- I have little time to make a decision. On one hand- it's tempting to get this card for 50% of it's usual cost, but on the other- if it'll be a pain in the arse for gaming, endlessly conflicting- I have no other use for it. I'm struggling to find any info on the web, but I only stumble across talks about "lossless depth Z-buffer" and other things that have no meaning to me.
Post Thu Dec 22, 2005 2:08 am
Gorath
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

After briefly skimming through an nVidia-related forum I found out that just about everybody there says Quadro cards are even slightly faster for gaming than their corresponding GeForce brothers.
The next step would be to find out which chip exactly the Quadro uses. Then identify the correct GeForce card.

edit:
Found it. The Quadro 1300 FX is equivalent to a GeForce 6800 with 12 pipelines.
Post Thu Dec 22, 2005 2:22 am
Gorath
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

Itīs effectively a GeForce 6800 (non GT, non Ultra -> those have 16 pipelines and more RAM). This card is a few percent faster than a GeForce 6600GT. PCIe offers a minimal speed advantage over AGP, letīs say 5%.

The Quadro costs new about 300$. The GeForce cards are way cheaper.

50% off is a generous offer. I bet he could sell the card on eBay for ~250$. I doubt itīs worth the effort, though. Youīre probably better off getting an AGP card for the same price.
Post Thu Dec 22, 2005 2:51 am
horst wessel
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

Thanks awfully, Gorath
I reckon I'll wait for Gothic 3 to come out, and then shop for a card.
Rebuilding the whole system at this point seems to make no sence.
All the best!
Post Thu Dec 22, 2005 4:57 am
Maylander
High Emperor
High Emperor

Seems to be a reasonable choice. If you're lucky, you can get a bargain on a GeForce 7800GT(GTX will probably remain expensive for quite some time) by the time Gothic 3 comes out.
Post Thu Dec 22, 2005 6:17 pm
Acleacius
King of the Realms
King of the Realms

I agree with Gorath and Maylander, pass on this.
Your point about having to buy another MB and only 128 meg of ram are big problems.
Gothic 3 doesnt seem possible (at least what I have seen/heard) for at least 3 months and as mentioned 7800 will definaly go down (at least $100 US) by then.
If not due to the maket, at least the reports issued this week about ATI blowing past NVidia on image quality with 5.13 drivers, while NVidia has more speed in most cases ATIs new gpu is 32 bit color only (no shifting to 16 bit to get higher frames).
Not sure if you have seen it yet or are intrested obvioulsy NVidia is a great choice, if you care about image quality you might want to look

http://www.firingsquad.com/hardware/ati_catalyst_5.13_video_quality/
Post Fri Dec 23, 2005 1:39 am
horst wessel
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

Thanks awfully guys
I have a crappy Radeon 9250, and it is conflicting with Gothic 2- the game crashes ever minute or so- just goes back to the desktop. So, it is always a superstition now- I'll go with GeForce next time
Post Fri Dec 23, 2005 2:29 pm
Maylander
High Emperor
High Emperor

I recommend GeForce 7800GT(as mentioned earlier, GTX is better, but much more expensive).. I will definetly have a computer with 7800GT before Gothic 3 comes out myself.

Also, RAM is important. Anything under 512mb won't stand a chance I think. With 1024mb ram and GeForce 7800GT you should(as far as I know) be able to run Gothic 3 on 100% settings(almost regardless of other hardware, unless it's absolutte stoneage stuff)!
Post Fri Dec 23, 2005 10:31 pm