RTS Dilemma: LoTR or EQ??
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Absolutely Off Topic

Author Thread
xSamhainx
Paws of Doom
Paws of Doom

RTS Dilemma: LoTR or EQ??

Have any of you played either of the new RTS's Lords of Everquest or LOTR:War of the Ring? They practically look like total conversions for WC3 to me.

Ive been wanting to try one of them out, but for every good review, there seems to be a bad one for both! I cant decide! Anyone have any experience with either of these titles? Hobbits or Bloodsabers?
“Then away out in the woods I heard that kind of a sound that a ghost makes when it wants to tell about something that's on its mind and can't make itself understood, and so can't rest easy in its grave, and has to go about that way every night grieving.”-Mark Twain
Post Fri Jan 09, 2004 3:05 am
Dhruin
Stranger In A Strange Land
Stranger In A Strange Land

Not a RTS player so I'm not qualified to comment but I'm very confident from my newsposting that LoE received poorer reviews on average than War of the Ring. If that means anything. There's demos of both, isn't there?
Post Fri Jan 09, 2004 8:57 am
Hexy
High Emperor
High Emperor

Lords of Everquest is a ridiculous and simplified RTS. Only one kind of resource? What were they thinking?
Plus, seeing as it is such a rip-off from WC3, it's just better to play the original and be done with it. It is way funnier to play multiplayer anyway.

I haven't tried War of the Ring yet.

Why just not play Spellforce or something?
Post Fri Jan 09, 2004 9:52 am
MageofFire
Griller of Molerats

Get Spellforce or wait for LoTR: The Battle for Middle Earth. That RTS will be stupendous.

Mediocreties, I absolve you!
Post Fri Jan 09, 2004 6:51 pm
xSamhainx
Paws of Doom
Paws of Doom

Have you beaten Lords o' EQ, Hexy?
The more I've read that is recent, Dhruins observation seems to become more evident. Lords of EQ seems to be getting it far worse then the Hobbits. It kinda reminds me of Black and White, reviewed as good before it was even released practically. Now people have been able to really dig into the game and are getting the real picture they arent so thrilled

I'm more interested actually with how the source material is used. I figured that someone here on RpgDot has to have conquered the SP campaign of one of them. After all, they are a couple of the biggest high fantasy RPG-ish themes ever unleashed! I think Frodo wins this contest tho. LoTR armies look great, what fun to have some epic battles with the LoTR pantheon of warriors. I must command a legion of them. Or ten

Looking into Spellforce now, I didnt even know about it, thanks!
“Then away out in the woods I heard that kind of a sound that a ghost makes when it wants to tell about something that's on its mind and can't make itself understood, and so can't rest easy in its grave, and has to go about that way every night grieving.”-Mark Twain
Post Sat Jan 10, 2004 7:31 am
Hexy
High Emperor
High Emperor

Nope, haven't finished it yet.
I've only been playing around in the different campaigns. Then again, I haven't really bothered with it very much.
I don't now why, but it doesn't have a very EQ-ish feel to it.
Post Sat Jan 10, 2004 9:37 am
Gorath
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

quote:
Originally posted by xSamhainx
Looking into Spellforce now, I didnt even know about it, thanks!

You can find a few impressions in the SpellForce forum. It´s an interesting game. Just be aware that it requires some patience. This is nothing you can play for 30 minutes.
Post Sat Jan 10, 2004 11:28 pm
xSamhainx
Paws of Doom
Paws of Doom

RE: Spellforce

I got a chance to play the demo thru today, and am pretty impressed! I admit, on first sight it just screamed "RTS Dungeon Siege" to me. But unlike DS, this game looks like has some replay value. Plus, it isnt a mock-WC3 total conversion ='.'=

It has some small interface issues, but that might be hammered out in the final version. I remember how different the Majesty final version was from the demo, so who knows
Post Tue Jan 13, 2004 5:48 am
Gorath
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

SpellForce has replay value due to the free character development. Although you don´t really need replay value with a 100+ hours campaign. With my slow play I´ll have problems to make it in 200 hours.

The demo is based upon the European retail build. The interface issues are only minor. It could be a bit optimized (less mouseclicks, better default choices, etc.) but it works surprisingly well. Especially the 'Click 'n' Fight' combat
is interesting. You´re missing someting if you only try the standard RTS controls.
Two things have been fixed so far. Qucksave is enabled (F7 + F9) and hero runes are color coded, so their category can be identified easily.
Post Wed Jan 14, 2004 11:37 pm