No
75%
 75%  [ 18 ]
Total Votes : 24

Author Thread
Jaz
Late Night Spook
Late Night Spook

Reality is something very personal, and in my reality, generalizations are wrong.
Post Tue Oct 22, 2002 2:19 pm
Pinnen
Wearer of the Hat
Wearer of the Hat

I will not even comment the stupidity in the women-statement. It´s about as smart to say
"Hey, you know Adolf Hitler was a pretty nice guy after all. At least he did something about the overpopulation!"
Or
"Why should blacks have the right to vote? In fact, why do we even pay them? Shouldn´t they work for free? It´s a damn shame slavery isn´t allowed anymore, it did help cutting down unemployment."

Get a grip, folks. If you have more were that came from, like "Why isn´t there a national holiday of cross-burning?" please keep it to yourselfs. Or rather, don´t keep it at all.

CrossTopicBaner
Post Tue Oct 22, 2002 5:07 pm
xSamhainx
Paws of Doom
Paws of Doom

I just started playing this game today, but first thing I noticed right off the bat is that they are in a men's prison colony. That might have something to do with it. These rough burly ore-chippin criminals aint exactly the type to be sittin around wondering what little things they can do to make their servant wenches feel special. No caring and sharing sessions here, this is the rough stuff. I like it already. Maybe some of the scavengers running around are female. ='.'=
“Then away out in the woods I heard that kind of a sound that a ghost makes when it wants to tell about something that's on its mind and can't make itself understood, and so can't rest easy in its grave, and has to go about that way every night grieving.”-Mark Twain
Post Wed Oct 23, 2002 8:28 am
[= D3m0n C0mm4nd0 =]
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

Yes, but all you guys have been saying the SAME thing, theres no women in the OLD CAMP because it is the only prison camp in the game, so when Diego is talking to you he is talking about the Old Camp. But think about it, the New or Old Camp could have women. Women can also be warriors and stuff too, so when you think about it the game is sort of sexist.
IVE SOLVED THE PROBLEM

...I think

Post Thu Oct 24, 2002 7:06 am
Shrapnel
Rocket Scientist
Rocket Scientist

Yer rEEl sm@rT liek
Post Thu Oct 24, 2002 2:05 pm
Velnias
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

quote:
Originally posted by Jaz
Reality is something very personal, and in my reality, generalizations are wrong.

Generalizations may be wrong, but stereotypes come about for a reason. Mankind didn't just wake up one day and say, "You know, I think I'll start arbitrarily assuming that, physiologically speaking, women don't have the same muscle mass as men, and so in our primitive medieval culture based on the illogical concept of 'might makes right' we should treat them like second-class citizens." (<- this was sarcasm, for the sarcasm-impaired)

What came about wasn't arbitrary or illogical. It made a lot of sense in the context of the culture. It wasn't fair, to be sure, but life rarely was. Or is.

quote:
Originally posted by [= D3m0n C0mm4nd0 =]
Yes, but all you guys have been saying the SAME thing...
But think about it, the New or Old Camp could have women. Women can also be warriors and stuff too, so when you think about it the game is sort of sexist.
IVE SOLVED THE PROBLEM

Funny that you should mention the concept of "same" when you're just rehashing the same statements without any flow of logic to support them. Can women lift a sword? Sure. Now ask yourself why, back in medieval times, female warriors weren't more prevalent.
Post Sat Oct 26, 2002 12:43 pm
VergoldeterMensch
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Brunhilde? or the Valkyries?
hey; ask the german!

Valkyries or Valküren are no women who were fighting, there were more like angels in the germanish religion; big breasted, blond women in warrior clothes (yes, I'm serios, they imagened valkyries like this) who lead dead warriors to Valhalla (val:war, halla:hall) in Asgard (it's like heaven; we are living on midgard, and yes, mitgard is the underworld too) where they could drink met and have women and meet, of course, all members of threy're family(it seemed to be a big party for the rest of time).

i don't know exactly who Brunhilde was, but she's a charakter of the nibelungen-lied(lied:song); you know, the story from siegfried who slayed a dragon and took a bath in his blood so he became immortal. i think brunhilde was his whife, who signed siegfierd only hurtable spot on his body with an cross, so hagen were able to kill him(god, she was soooo stupit to do what hagen said)!

--and another point why no fighting women in gothic wern't sexistic:
men are rather battle seeking as women, and would you try to be an fighting women in an land full of sexual fustrated and akrassive men? and don't say that a strong woman would make her way; 1-6 woman against 1-3 camps full of men, who hasn't seen an woman for days-months-years?

Bis dann!
Post Sat Oct 26, 2002 5:13 pm
Roach
SBR Belfry Bat
SBR Belfry Bat

quote:
Originally posted by VergoldeterMensch
mitgard is the underworld too)
where they could drink met and have women and meet, of course, all members of threy're family(it seemed to be a big party for the rest of time).

While you’re right about the Valkries and about Midgard being Earth, you’re wrong about Midgard being the underworld as well.
Grr, where did I put my Elder Edda? *After much searching, a sign of relief* I thought I‘d lost it for a minute there.
What about Hel, Nastrandir, and Hevergelmir? Those are the places where the bad people go, and they are not on the same branch of Yggdrasil as Midgard. Actually I’m not 100% that Hel isn’t but I am positive that the other two are.
While Valhalla, and the often forgotten Folkvang, were seen as a good place to go, I don’t believe what you said about Valhalla was really true either. I’m not sure whether or not they had access to women, but those were not places for families. Valhalla and Folkvang were where warriors trained for the eventual Ragnarok. The men would train and kill each, then would be resurrected and would all feast and get drunk together. Each night they would eat the cosmic boar Sahrimnir, the Norsemen liked to name everything and I mean everything, which would be cooked by Andhrimnir.
And BTW while Valhalla and Folkvang are heavens they are not the only ones, there is also Gimle, the hall Brimir which is on Okolnir, and the hall on Nidafjoll which is called Sindri.
Post Sat Oct 26, 2002 6:20 pm
VergoldeterMensch
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

thank's for correction!!!
i'm not an expert, and not even such an expert you are!
-love to learn about this culture
Post Sun Oct 27, 2002 2:37 pm
Roach
SBR Belfry Bat
SBR Belfry Bat

quote:
Originally posted by VergoldeterMensch
thank's for correction!!!
i'm not an expert, and not even such an expert you are!
-love to learn about this culture

I’m far from being an expert, everything I posted is in a very short book. If you have any interest at all in Norse Mythology I suggest you get it, it’s called the Prose (or elder) Edda, and it’s a fascinating read. It was originally written by Snorri Sturluson, though in a now dead language, but there are dozen of good/decent translation.
Post Sun Oct 27, 2002 5:33 pm
DABhand
Noble Knight
Noble Knight

quote:
Originally posted by [= D3m0n C0mm4nd0 =]
Yes, but all you guys have been saying the SAME thing, theres no women in the OLD CAMP because it is the only prison camp in the game, so when Diego is talking to you he is talking about the Old Camp. But think about it, the New or Old Camp could have women. Women can also be warriors and stuff too, so when you think about it the game is sort of sexist.
IVE SOLVED THE PROBLEM

...I think

But there is women in the old camp, in gomez's little castle
Post Sun Oct 27, 2002 6:12 pm
[= D3m0n C0mm4nd0 =]
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

quote:
Originally posted by DABhand

But there is women in the old camp, in gomez's little castle

Yes, but they're whores

Also, I noticed that none of the characters in the game have a weight difference...they're all the same width and height, lol that's a bit weird.
Post Mon Oct 28, 2002 5:41 am
DABhand
Noble Knight
Noble Knight

Mudd is skinny, and the cook boy is a bit chubby.

Gomez is a bit taller and chubby then others also.

Cor Kalom is a bit smaller in height.

But 80% of the game yeah is the same stats.

I think they use the same model for all shadows and miners.
Post Mon Oct 28, 2002 12:13 pm
[= D3m0n C0mm4nd0 =]
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

Gomez only looks big because of his armour, he is probably the exact same model, the only different person is the cook, thats about it.
Post Tue Oct 29, 2002 10:28 am
Anfisa
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

I don't think that Gothic is sexist. And I'm fond of seeing so many men around me But the only dissapointing thing is that I can't play as a women character. It would be more comfortable for me because if I've played as a women character I can better identify it with myself. So I decided to become a mage because mages usually wear skirts and robes and my character looks like a woman
Post Thu Oct 31, 2002 9:01 am

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next